Analysis Death-Riding Melbourne 2018 (now with poll)

Where will Melbourne finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fun's over after today though. Only 1 more certain win for them v GCS.

Will still need to play very well just to make finals.

Geel A
Crows A
Syd H
GCS H
WCE A
GWS H
Yep, plus no Viney for an unknown amount of time, and considering its a reoccurring injury i doubt they'll rush him back. So a second 3 game losing streak could definately break them!

If we had 2 x 3 game losing streaks in 8 weeks i'd consider us broken! Hell 1 x 4 game losing streak saw 80% of this board wanting to tank the season!

Yep, plus no Viney for an unknown amount of time, and considering its a reoccurring injury i doubt they'll rush him back. So a second 3 game losing streak could definately break them!

If we had 2 x 3 game losing streaks in 8 weeks i'd consider us broken! Hell 1 x 4 game losing streak saw 80% of this board wanting to tank the season!
You know what position we are on the ladder right?

1 game out of the 8 last time I checked!

2 games out of the 8, seeing our percentage is too far to be made up (+20%).

It's still nothing more than mathematically possible that we do make finals.

If trying to tip the winners in the last month has taught me anything, its that there will be many more upsets between now and the final game of the regular season! I think to date there are a few teams that have performed well above their talent level, and a few that have performed well below. And a lot of those teams that have outperformed their predicted ladder position are now starting to feel the pinch of a 23 round season. So it will make for quite a fun last few months before finals!

The good news for us is the equation is pretty simple now. They just have to win!

Mathematical possibility is when you need other results to go your way, we are completely in control of our destiny, just like at the beginning of the season, if you win enough games you make the finals.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering the draft implication its actually fascinating to look at the path to finals or lack-thereof for both the Demons and the Crows.
MFC is sitting in 6th (10 wins) to the Crows 11th (8 wins), and a massive 31.5 %. Based on the old 'win 13 games to make finals' saying, who do we feel is most likely to achieve that Win total?

The Run Home:
Melb: Geel Away, Crows Away, GC Home, Syd Home, WCE Away, GWS Away
Crows: Bris Away, Melb Home, Port Home, GWS in Canberra, North home, Carton Away

Come on Melbourne, give me that sweet sweet late season choke that we all know you are capable of. Just 1 more for old times sake!

Considering the draft implication its actually fascinating to look at the path to finals or lack-thereof for both the Demons and the Crows.
MFC is sitting in 6th (10 wins) to the Crows 11th (8 wins), and a massive 31.5 %. Based on the old 'win 13 games to make finals' saying, who do we feel is most likely to achieve that Win total?

The Run Home:
Crows: Bris Away, Melb Home, Port Home, GWS in Canberra, North home, Carton Away

Come on Melbourne, give me that sweet sweet late season choke that we all know you are capable of. Just 1 more for old times sake!

You just know that Gawn is going to drag them to 13 wins off his own back. Viney a big loss though. They are such a better team with him playing.

Hopefully Geelong can rebound and beat Melbourne this week. Then would love it if smash them at Adelaide Oval. May have a chance with Talia, Tex, Mcgovern, Dougy in by then. Assuming we beat Brisbane, both us and Melbourne would be on 10wins then. Would be a struggle for them to make the 8 then with GC Home, Syd Home, WCE Away, GWS Away.

The Run Home:

Also need to look at who might displace Melb (cur.40pts):
GWS (38): Port(A), Saints(H), Carl(A), Crows(H), Syd(H), Melb(H)
Geel (36): Melb(H), Bris(H), Rich(A), Haw(A), Freo(H), GC(H)
North(36): Coll(A), WCE(H), Bris(A), WB(H), Crows(A), Saints(A)
Haw (36): Carl(A), Freo(A), Ess(H), Geel(H), Saints(A), Syd(A)

Rough guess of wins are:
Melb: 2 (maybe 4)
GWS: 2 (maybe 5)
Geel: 2 (maybe 4)
North: 2 (maybe 3)
Haw: 3 (maybe 5)

I think the maybe wins will push Dees to 8 if not out of it.

Melbourne will lose to the good teams and beat up on the bad. They aren’t doing anything this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tip is Melbourne to lose to Geelong, Adelaide, WC and GWS. 50/50 game against Sydney. Thats 12 wins at best and out of the 8.

Don’t cancel that snow lodge at Mt. Hotham just yet, Dees fans.
Yes, I think they are a good chance to drop out.

Ideally if we make the finals, Dees drop out to ensure we have a pick ahead of Port.

My tip is Melbourne to lose to Geelong, Adelaide, WC and GWS. 50/50 game against Sydney. Thats 12 wins at best and out of the 8.

I can Melbourne and Port missing

Worst part about being a Demons fan - the snow in the Australian Alps is generally s**t in September. Have to fly off to New Zealand

Hopefully by the time they play us, Gawn and a few more others will be missing with niggles

Gawn is the biggest one. He is capable of dragging them to finals. They still have a lot of quality like Oliver and Brayshaw. But Gawn is the big one.

It’s mathematical, but it’s a pretty easy equation. We need to win 5 of our last 6 games to make the 8. 13 wins gets us there, 12 probably doesn’t.

If we can win 5 of our last 6, were probably playing pretty decent footy and would have other finalists a little shaky.

Having said that, apart from Carlton, none of our remaining games are necessarily easy, even Brisbane at the Gabba. If we play well, we could make those 5 wins easily, but if we can’t maintain form and let’s face it, we’ve played 2 good games in the past 2-3 months, we could very easily only win 1 more game for the season. Well know more Saturday.

If trying to tip the winners in the last month has taught me anything, its that there will be many more upsets between now and the final game of the regular season! I think to date there are a few teams that have performed well above their talent level, and a few that have performed well below. And a lot of those teams that have outperformed their predicted ladder position are now starting to feel the pinch of a 23 round season. So it will make for quite a fun last few months before finals!

The good news for us is the equation is pretty simple now. They just have to win!

Yeah good post, for once it’s probably going to be a really interesting last 6 weeks of footy. Top 5 are probably set in the top 8, but from 6-12, a lot could change depending on which clubs find form and which ones flop. I’ve no doubt there’ll be a few upsets to make things really interesting.

Back