Opinion Do you have an unhealthy hatred towards Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If things fall into place, as predicted this weekend, and Geelong face Hawthorn in week 1 of the finals. What would a win ultimately mean to you?

Because to me, I just feel like this is the one game I may enjoy more (if they win), then when the boys won the 2011 flag, such is this unhealthy hatred I feel toward Hawthorn after years of losing to them on the big stage, which was again fueled by the 2008 Grand Final defeat.

I have spoken to numerous Cat supporters and they too have expressed similar hatred toward the poos & wees.

One said they feel like no other game is relevant except for when Geelong play Hawthorn. Another Cat follower by the name of Rob (no, not me), said he'd prefer to lose the Preliminary Final if it meant we can knock out Hawthorn along the way. The Cat folk who reside in the city of Geelong would know that line of thought.

I don't know about that myself, but I do believe our next game will have more bearing on it than just about any other final against them for many, many years.

Enright, Johnson, Lonergan, Bartel, Kelly . . . these guys could potentially go to their grave 1-3 all time versus Hawthorn in September.

Harley, Chapman, Milburn, Scarlett, Wojcinski experienced this as early as 2000 when Hawthorn defeated us by 9 points in an Elimination Final.

For a team touted as one the greatest of the modern era, they've been our nemesis who've prevented us from adding even more silverware to the trophy cabinet. Feels like the nerves are starting to kick in already, not sure about you, but to me, it feels like this is going to be the biggest game I have ever had to sit through and another loss, well, it's extremely depressing to think about but a win, whoa!

Opinions?

I can't stand then and won't go to a game with them because their supporters are arse holes.
Never have I met a group of fans who feel the need to offer you their opinion despite you not knowing them, not caring and/or taking to someone else at the time

Then there is that f***wit Brereton.....

Nope. Like them.
Like the way they play.
Like the coach.

Sue me.

This. They're a great side, love the way they go about it. They've been bloody impressive this year against the odds. If not us, much prefer them to win it than Salary Swans or negative Freo.

Their petty supporters number the same as ours.

I hate the fans (especially) and the club and everything they stand for.
Its not just a coincidence that someone like Jeff Kennett managed to be their president - the average Hawks supporter is just like him - selfish, nasty, arrogant.
Don't mind the players though and how they play. Its definitely a hate/respect thing.
And I went to the 2011 Qualifying Final - definitely one of the most satisfying finals wins I've witnessed.

Define unhealthy? Is my hate for them carcinogenic? Well at times I have felt so , they have inflicted too much pain in game and out of it. The smarmy cockyness of their supporters probably comes from decades of over achievement. Mind you every supporter group , even our own have nutjobs

When was the last time we beat them in a "Final" ... i mean a real final as in byebye no next week for you Dermot. Its years.

What you say about Geelong based is true, I have no idea what its like in Melb but in Geelong you have quite a few anti Geelong supporters and boy don't the anti Geelong Hawks love to stick it to us.

No, I don't.

89 was no 'failure' on our club's part. We finished 3rd, were not expected to make a GF (ESS was), and had a team with precious little finals experience. HAW were then a champion team at the top of their game. It was a brilliant effort to get so close. 08 hurt, as we were the best team that year by a long shot (4, or was it 5, more wins than HAW for the H & A, and only 1 loss for the season). But for me the many years of victory over them and the 09 and 11 flags put that to bed. But on Big Footy I am constantly amazed at the level of hatred HAW posters level at our club. It's obsessional for them.

Beyond Big Footy nobs, I like the rivalry, it makes for good football and good drama. Part of that rivalry is barracking for opposition teams that come up against them, especially in a GF. But it's not an unhealthy hatred, not by a long way. I think they are playing a decent brand of football this year and are good club on the whole.

Really like a lot of their players. Roughy, Cyril, Langford, Burgoyne. Like that they are a hard successful club. Their supporters however are entitled arrogant campaigners. The 80's has given them a false sense of their standing within the world. So in summation. Admire the people within their organisation. Hate the fuchwiits that support them

Really like a lot of their players. Roughy, Cyril, Langford, Burgoyne. Like that they are a hard successful club. Their supporters however are entitled arrogant campaigners. The 80's has given them a false sense of their standing within the world. So in summation. Admire the people within their organisation. Hate the fuchwiits that support them

This pretty excellent summary of my feelings on the subject also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Like them.
Like the way they play.
Like the coach.

Sue me.

Coach appears to be level headed and nice, until the real Clarko comes out (i.e. the Tom Harley incident after a game this year).

Their players seem to be friendly and well-loved, until you see them try and snipe Geelong players, or rub it in on the field.

Hawks supporters:
They are the first to whinge about Selwood 'ducking'. The first to bitch about Stevie J diving. The first to bay for blood for MRP sanctions for the smallest thing our players do. The first to jump onto the bandwagon of any team that's playing us.The first to label us cheats if we win or the first to stick the knife in if we lose.

My hate for them is nowhere near what it used to be. Guess I just hate all teams these days.

I do envy their forward-line and ability to convert off it as well, they just seem to get the easiest of goals out of nowhere, and that's why they are half a team out and still only lose by 3 goals.

Would love sharpshooters in our team like Gunston and Bruest to boot.

With regards to that team - it's hard to even regard them with a name - I no longer even bother thinking about going to those games due to those fans. Their behaviour on Friday night, and their incessant booing and boorish behaviour - life is too important to put up with that.

But I wouldn't call what we all feel towards them hatred, for that is the emotion that drives them. It's similar to what the Free World experienced with the Nazi situation during the 1930s. To lower ones self to their level, to bath in that poo and wee of negativity, we risk losing our own soul, we risk our freedom to love, we risk the joy of the Hoops. Lets face facts - if Hitler was alive today and living in Melbourne, he'd wear the poo and wees, and their members would want him as President.

So no, it's not hatred - it's the acknowledgment that against such evil, we must be strong in force, we must unite, we must do our utmost to keep the Hawks of Doom at bay (13).

Our close future is in our hands now - and we know what must be done. For if we fail, then our whole world, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new poo and wee age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted AFL.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the Cats and its allies last for a thousand years, men, women and children will still say, 'This was their finest hour'.

Coach appears to be level headed and nice, until the real Clarko comes out

Struggled for a long time to disassociate Clarkson with his cowardly hit from behind in the infamous exhibition match in London. What a thug act. But do accept he has done a good job as coach for an extended period now. He was a thug, but is also a good coach. I guess Leigh Matthews set the ultimate precedent for on-field thug, but excellent coach.

Nah.

My hatred is perfectly healthy.
dammit!!! You took the words right out of my mouth, catempire!! Lucky I decided to read other posts before I had my say ;)

I hate Hawthorn. For me, nothing would be better than if we pushed them back into the pack in 2 weeks' time then met them again in the Big Dance, only to run all over the top of them again!! Let them see how it feels to play the finals series without a break, then face a rested team! I will NEVER forgive or forget 1989 or 2008 in particular. :mad: Nor will I forget individual acts of moronic nasty cowardice by players in poo and wee colours. EVER!!! :mad:

With regards to that team - it's hard to even regard them with a name - I no longer even bother thinking about going to those games due to those fans. Their behaviour on Friday night, and their incessant booing and boorish behaviour - life is too important to put up with that.

But I wouldn't call what we all feel towards them hatred, for that is the emotion that drives them. It's similar to what the Free World experienced with the Nazi situation during the 1930s. To lower ones self to their level, to bath in that poo and wee of negativity, we risk losing our own soul, we risk our freedom to love, we risk the joy of the Hoops. Lets face facts - if Hitler was alive today and living in Melbourne, he'd wear the poo and wees, and their members would want him as President.

So no, it's not hatred - it's the acknowledgment that against such evil, we must be strong in force, we must unite, we must do our utmost to keep the Hawks of Doom at bay (13).

Our close future is in our hands now - and we know what must be done. For if we fail, then our whole world, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new poo and wee age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted AFL.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the Cats and its allies last for a thousand years, men, women and children will still say, 'This was their finest hour'.
that's beautiful, James- just beautiful!! :cry:
aww... now you've made me cry ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back