FTA-TV Do you keep downloading after a warning email?

Remove this Banner Ad

Glebehawk

All Australian
Aug 24, 2006
london
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So recently received an email from my internet provider TPG - which was basically a forwarded complaint they got from Showtime in the US.

I'd been illegally downloading Dexter S5 (which is awesome)
Showtime went on to say that TPG should cancel my internet connection and if downloading persisted press charges.

Just wondering how many people out there have received similar emails and whether its stopped your downloading lifestyle.

I can't imagine paying for movies, music and TV series again...but am pretty s**t scared to push my luck at the moment...and I've only got 3 eps of dexter to go!

Thoughts, advice??

TPG sent me one from Sega. :\

Don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the "can't imagine paying for movies, music and TV series again" attitude, especially when DVD sets are so cheap and available.

Up to you whether it's worth the risk - just don't complain if you get caught again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers for the advice...in response to you Donners. Yes DVD sets are widely available and I've got plenty of them - they just take a while to get into JB HI-FI.

lyall - I look forward to your next email.

It's not only the price it's the fact many shows aren't released in Australia until long after they are in America. It's been 2 years since the first two seasons were released of Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it's the last DVDs we've seen of the show despite season 5 being aired in Australia.

I got the letters for downloading south park which I find rather ironic considering that episode they had about downloading songs which is pro downloading (obviously not up to the creators of the show). Ever since using peerblock and trying to only use private sites I haven't had any letters.

TPG won't do anything. In fact in my emails they mistakingly quoted a link that was only intended for the ISP. Meaning I could click on it and complete a form as TPG saying whether or not the ISP have dealt with it.

It's not only the price it's the fact many shows aren't released in Australia until long after they are in America. It's been 2 years since the first two seasons were released of Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it's the last DVDs we've seen of the show despite season 5 being aired in Australia.

I got the letters for downloading south park which I find rather ironic considering that episode they had about downloading songs which is pro downloading (obviously not up to the creators of the show). Ever since using peerblock and trying to only use private sites I haven't had any letters.

TPG won't do anything. In fact in my emails they mistakingly quoted a link that was only intended for the ISP. Meaning I could click on it and complete a form as TPG saying whether or not the ISP have dealt with it.

Exact reason why I got into torrents in the first place.

Depends entirely on who's handling your situation. I got disconnected by TPG and it took me a good hour on the phone going from one operator to another to get it re-connected. This was on the first instance of a "letter". Was told next time it would be a certain disconnection.

I don't use public sites any more so it's not a concern, but for those that do there's definitely a chance you'll get booted by TPG.

Depends entirely on who's handling your situation. I got disconnected by TPG and it took me a good hour on the phone going from one operator to another to get it re-connected. This was on the first instance of a "letter". Was told next time it would be a certain disconnection.

I don't use public sites any more so it's not a concern, but for those that do there's definitely a chance you'll get booted by TPG.

I got three letters in one day for 3 South Park episodes

Another hint is to avoid downloading like on release day, especially for big name movies (I'd avoid downloading those until they're out of the cinemas personally). If you are going to just hit and run. As bad as it sounds don't seed something new for as long as you have to because that's just more time they have to catch you. I'm not quite sure how safe peerblock is but I still wouldn't risk seeding something like Inception as soon as it's released to torrents for days on end.

Just a heads up, peerblock doesn't do anything. It is impossible to block your IP when using p2p otherwise it wouldn't work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back