Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a fine line between genius and madness.......

It would be fascinating to get an understanding of what is actually going on in MC. These decisions look borderline suicidal, particularly given Bevo's current position.
I would love to see one of these selection committees take place, although I’m pretty certain Bevo has a rolling calendar slot blocked out for 3am Thursday morning in Bevos kitchen and it’s usually just him that actually rocks up.

Is everybody on board with this s**t or what, wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a bit of white anting going on here in the hope that he’s ousted and there’s some juicy promotions on offer soon “yeah Bevo mate that sounds great let’s do that”

There's a fine line between genius and madness.......

It would be fascinating to get an understanding of what is actually going on in MC. These decisions look borderline suicidal, particularly given Bevo's current position.
It’s totally possible the plan was ok and it fell apart in execution. If that’s the case we’ll bounce back fast enough. He’s obviously sticking with it.

Some of the whipping boys who played badly did well during the preseason. If he sticks with them and our season is over by round six then it’s pretty much ritual suicide by Bevo.

Watched his presser. Didn’t love the defensiveness around Jack’s situation. Needs to handle those questions much more gracefully as a leader.

Hope the team comes out firing for all of our sakes.
His attitude to the media is a big part of why he is under the pump while worse performers like Hinkley and Simpson fly under the radar.

I actually believe him when he says Macrae isn’t up to the running yet - he has never been shy about saying someone was dropped in the past. He’s just creating enemies unnecessarily.

His attitude to the media is a big part of why he is under the pump while worse performers like Hinkley and Simpson fly under the radar.

I actually believe him when he says Macrae isn’t up to the running yet - he has never been shy about saying someone was dropped in the past. He’s just creating enemies unnecessarily.
I actually agree with Bevo's contempt for a lot of the media. He's always got time for those in the media who seem to be asking genuine questions about analysing the game or to understand a story better. It's just the gotchas or the headline chaser types he seems to hate.

It seems counter-productive, but maybe the board etc. understand that, so they're fine with it. Who knows.

I actually agree with Bevo's contempt for a lot of the media. He's always got time for those in the media who seem to be asking genuine questions about analysing the game or to understand a story better. It's just the gotchas or the headline chaser types he seems to hate.

It seems counter-productive, but maybe the board etc. understand that, so they're fine with it. Who knows.
I agree with some of it. The media are clueless and say dumb things. I’d actually respect our board if they didn’t care about it.

Cornes, Morris and Barrett have now had him in their sights for years though and others know he takes the bait. Just creates unnecessary pressure.

Watched his presser. Didn’t love the defensiveness around Jack’s situation. Needs to handle those questions much more gracefully as a leader.

Hope the team comes out firing for all of our sakes.

"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result" - Bev, 22nd March, 24

Quote from Bevo today re our current state of play:

“…..the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect that thinking you’re going to get a different result….”

Melbourne Football Club like this…..

I almost spat out my water when I heard that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trying to understand what is happening in our coaching department is like Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
We of this forum are chained to the wall of a cave. We can't see what is happening outside the cave but can see the shadows on the cave wall produced from activity outside the cave.

At this stage, the shadows are telling me to expect the same old sh*t.

I almost spat out my water when I heard that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair the team he picked was very different. It looked set up for fast paced play. Just didn't eventuate at all.

I kind of get the vibe Bevo doesn't really care about what position in the finals we're in as long as we make it.

He's a very experimental coach. Always trying to outsmart the competition and get the jump on teams. Unfortunately I think we'd be seeing better results with a more conventional set up. On the flip side we may not have won a premiership having gone the conventional route.

I feel like Bev would be a good coach in a rebuilding side where you can afford to * around with the lineup and setup during the year. We're a very mature side now though so he really needs to dial it in and play a straight bat.

To be fair the team he picked was very different. It looked set up for fast paced play. Just didn't eventuate at all.

I kind of get the vibe Bevo doesn't really care about what position in the finals we're in as long as we make it.

He's a very experimental coach. Always trying to outsmart the competition and get the jump on teams. Unfortunately I think we'd be seeing better results with a more conventional set up. On the flip side we may not have won a premiership having gone the conventional route.

I feel like Bev would be a good coach in a rebuilding side where you can afford to * around with the lineup and setup during the year. We're a very mature side now though so he really needs to dial it in and play a straight bat.
For what it’s worth the Melbourne supporters sitting near me were tearing their hair out early at how quickly and effectively we moved the ball early. We just didn’t keep it up.

I think Bevo thinks the idea was ok but the execution broke down. But if the execution breaks down repeatedly it doesn’t matter if the idea is ok.

There are plenty of calls for changes where people underestimate what we give up by making them.

With all the calling for Naughton to go back for example, one thing he offers over and above almost every KPF in the league is his defensive pressure on the ground. It was missing on the weekend but usually it helps keep us competitive when the ball hits the deck forward.

The fact he kicks 40+ per year and takes nice grabs is important but not everything.

If we move him back, some combo of JUH, English, Lobb or Darcy will offer way less pressure and the ball will come out more easily. JUH is improving but not at Naughton’s level. The others could only dream of offering the same ground level ability.

It doesn’t mean much if we’re getting killed generally or our forwards don’t do their jobs, but if we’re in a tight game it makes a difference.

Doesn’t mean Bevo’s got it right. It’s just not as easy as ‘swing Naughts back and they’ll be right’, like King et al think. If a change seems obvious, there is a reason it’s not being made.

For what it’s worth the Melbourne supporters sitting near me were tearing their hair out early at how quickly and effectively we moved the ball early. We just didn’t keep it up.

I think Bevo thinks the idea was ok but the execution broke down. But if the execution breaks down repeatedly it doesn’t matter if the idea is ok.

There are plenty of calls for changes where people underestimate what we give up by making them.

With all the calling for Naughton to go back for example, one thing he offers over and above almost every KPF in the league is his defensive pressure on the ground. It was missing on the weekend but usually it helps keep us competitive when the ball hits the deck forward.

The fact he kicks 40+ per year and takes nice grabs is important but not everything.

If we move him back, some combo of JUH, English, Lobb or Darcy will offer way less pressure and the ball will come out more easily. JUH is improving but not at Naughton’s level. The others could only dream of offering the same ground level ability.

It doesn’t mean much if we’re getting killed generally or our forwards don’t do their jobs, but if we’re in a tight game it makes a difference.

Doesn’t mean Bevo’s got it right. It’s just not as easy as ‘swing Naughts back and they’ll be right’, like King et al think. If a change seems obvious, there is a reason it’s not being made.
It was obvious to me that Bevo had lost his way years ago.
Now it's starting to be obvious to just about everyone.
Sometimes when something seems obvious, it's because it is.
It's the belief by some that he's a Footballing tactical genius that makes me question what people are seeing when they watch us play.
He's like footballs version of Kanye West. A batsh*t crazy person that considers himself a genius.

Felt like in the early days he let everyone play to their strengths and the game plan revolved around that. But post 2016 this seemed to flip. Trying to force players into roles and game plans that doesn't use their strengths and exposes their weaknesses. Forcing a style and versatility instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm out. I simply cannot forgive the decision to hand Jack Macrae the green vest. Bevo, you are a walking contradiction. Congratulations for leading a Grand Final club into a rebuild of your own creation in three years. Leave the club, Jack, all power to you. Never enjoyed watching a Bulldogs player more. Will be devastated to see you go.

I'm out. I simply cannot forgive the decision to hand Jack Macrae the green vest. Bevo, you are a walking contradiction. Congratulations for leading a Grand Final club into a rebuild of your own creation in three years. Leave the club, Jack, all power to you. Never enjoyed watching a Bulldogs player more. Will be devastated to see you go.
Good rant. Chances of victory increased 6%

Good rant. Chances of victory increased 6%
Yep because Bigfooty is the place where no one rants and everyone contributes to their team's results :thumbsu:. What is this site for if not mouthing off about things that we think are ludicrous?

My issue with Bevo is that we are going to lose one of Daniel or Macrae as a result of this game he’s playing.

Yes VDM can sprint all over the ground, he has one trait like many of Bevos other favorites. But he’s not up to it and we are going to lose A grade players playing favorites, while losing games because of it.

My issue with Bevo is that we are going to lose one of Daniel or Macrae as a result of this game he’s playing.

Yes VDM can sprint all over the ground, he has one trait like many of Bevos other favorites. But he’s not up to it and we are going to lose A grade players playing favorites, while losing games because of it.
In any work place if mediocrity is promoted over better qualified people it creates a toxic culture. VDM continually playing surely does this to both players in and especially out of the team.

Our recruiting team has something to answer for as well.

The fact that we don’t have a single AFL ready genuine small forward on this list who can actually apply pressure and contribute to a proper functioning forward line is a disgrace.

West is our best and he is absolutely not a genuine small forward. He should be having a run through the middle when we are getting fisted through there.

Back