Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Bevo is a great coach.
I believe Bevo has changed his game plan.
I believe the players are playing for Bevo.

I also believe if I keep wishing enough, Santa will visit me this Christmas and give me lots of presents.

Hopefully the Tooth Fairy turns up at some point as well.

Last edited:

I will say one thing, without getting into the specifics of Bevo. I saw Clarko speak at a function the other day. Not the first time I’ve seen him and whatever you might think of him he is always terrific at these things.

He made one very good point, which is that the good clubs don’t react in the short term. He openly mocked Carlton, Essendon, GC, St Kilda and North for panicking and changing course (coach, president, CEO) every three to four years whenever it seems things aren’t working and bowing to the loud masses or coteries.

He also pointed out that success is never in a straight line and clubs like Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney know it and don’t react short-term.

That certainly doesn’t mean we shouldn’t move on from Bevo if this year doesn’t pan out. I think it does to some explain the desire to stay the course to date. I was seething last night but I frankly expect the club to ignore the short-term backlash.

The noise will be deafening as soon as it becomes clear we won’t make finals (if that happens) but frankly I expect the club to do everything it can to have a good year until then.
It's hardly short term though. It's been going on for years. Change was supposed to occur, it hasnt.

My wife had to wake me up as apparently I was crying, sweating and screaming in my sleep repeating “You lied to us. They weren’t fit, fast or strong.”

Look what you’ve done to your poor supporters Bevo.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Bevo and Bont have coach/captain meetings. Bont is an excellent footballer, seems like a very intelligent guy and has been leading the side for a while now.

In the wash up of yet another pantsing by the dees, when Bont has probably several instances of looking desperately at Petracca and Oliver streaming out of clearance, is he stamping his foot and saying enough and that things need to change? Or is Bevo just laying it at the feet of the players that they’re not working hard enough in that area?

I know it will be a lot more nuanced than that, but at its core surely they’re doing their game review and seeing the same old s**t again and wondering why they can’t stop it.

Sitting at the ground I just realised what the * am I doing? Like if I wanted to watch that performance I literally could have taken my pick of just about any game in the last 2 years to watch the replay and see the EXACT same s**t.

I’m pretty done with it, I don’t mind losing and improving and having a crack but I refuse to just sit through the same bullshit, literally the same weaknesses that reared their head in 2017 are still on display. We turn over and over and over the list and same result? Same mistakes, same stale ass boring ******* ball movement. Same lack of defensive effort in the contests watching Melb run out of the front of the stoppage, same being cut to pieces on defensive transition. Literally does not matter whose out there it’s the same thing, and I can’t watch that anymore it’s not worth it.

I’ll watch next week on the tv and decide on whether I go round 3 but if we’re staring down the barrel of an 0-3 start against the *ing weagles again I don’t think I can bring myself to do it. If nothing looks to be fundamentally different by then then I’ll literally throw in the towel already

Not usually a big watcher of other teams because I hate them all but started to watch some other games on the weekend, not with a competitive perspective that I want so and so to lose so we’re higher on the ladder etc, we’re irrelevant, so I watched games with the perspective of just enjoying good footy and it was actually pretty ******* enjoyable. Must be nice to support a team with some *ing balls & hope
I actually find myself watching rugby more and more and really enjoy watching storm games as they always seem to have a genuine crack.

I’m 52 and have loved AFL since I was about 4 years old.

Never liked any other sports with the same passion but lately with the stupid fixturing the comp is simply too unfair and unbalanced. It’s all one big stage managed hegemony.

Add to that the terrible tv commentary and it just isn’t worth my time.

The sycophants fawning over Danger or Jezza or Tex or Bont or whoever is saccharine, puerile and insulting to any spectator with a modicum of intelligence.

The more important question is do the players still have faith in Bevo, or his instructions. The way the players have seemingly resigned themselves to getting run over when the tide turns against them over the last few years has suggested that their ‘faith’ or belief in the instructions they receive is low. They just haven’t looked at all like a side that knows if they knuckle down and play their role it will get results.

Why doesn’t bevo grow up and use a tagger. Rowell is gonna break the clearance record this weekend the way we are going
Super worried about Rowell, Touk and Anderson who are in crazy form and way to physical for us.

I think it’s lucky this game is at Ballarat where it can be a grind and sort of stifle good teams. We would get ******* rinsed at Marvel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Bevo and Bont have coach/captain meetings. Bont is an excellent footballer, seems like a very intelligent guy and has been leading the side for a while now.

In the wash up of yet another pantsing by the dees, when Bont has probably several instances of looking desperately at Petracca and Oliver streaming out of clearance, is he stamping his foot and saying enough and that things need to change? Or is Bevo just laying it at the feet of the players that they’re not working hard enough in that area?

I know it will be a lot more nuanced than that, but at its core surely they’re doing their game review and seeing the same old s**t again and wondering why they can’t stop it.

Quote from Bevo today re our current state of play:

“…..the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect that thinking you’re going to get a different result….”

Melbourne Football Club like this…..

“…..the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect that thinking you’re going to get a different result….”

Melbourne Football Club have their own issues with this - hence going out in straight sets the last two final series.

Is that a joke or did he actually say this?

Sorry if my sarcasm meter is off.....

Come on mate, he's trying things.

He's playing shitter players eith the same gameplan, because the gameplan wasn't working with the better players.

You gotta give him credit for that.

There's a fine line between genius and madness.......

It would be fascinating to get an understanding of what is actually going on in MC. These decisions look borderline suicidal, particularly given Bevo's current position.

The more important question is do the players still have faith in Bevo, or his instructions. The way the players have seemingly resigned themselves to getting run over when the tide turns against them over the last few years has suggested that their ‘faith’ or belief in the instructions they receive is low. They just haven’t looked at all like a side that knows if they knuckle down and play their role it will get results.
Things have been off since the 2021 grand final. There’s nothing new about a side that makes the GF battling the next season (look at Sydney last year and the 2023 grand finalists so far), but we’ve never been back to that intensity we often showed in 2021.

Whether that’s fitness, aging players, broken morale or bemusement with the coach or hierarchy who knows.

There won’t be (and shouldn’t be) a knee jerk reaction to early season form but if our intensity doesn’t pick up quickly he’ll obviously be gone.

I will say that if Macrae is less than fully fit he’s extremely unlikely to have helped much and might have made it worse.

Things have been off since the 2021 grand final. There’s nothing new about a side that makes the GF battling the next season (look at Sydney last year and the 2023 grand finalists so far), but we’ve never been back to that intensity we often showed in 2021.

Whether that’s fitness, aging players, broken morale or bemusement with the coach or hierarchy who knows.

There won’t be (and shouldn’t be) a knee jerk reaction to early season form but if our intensity doesn’t pick up quickly he’ll obviously be gone.

I will say that if Macrae is less than fully fit he’s extremely unlikely to have helped much and might have made it worse.

A 50% fit Macrae is better than VDM or McNiel in any position on the ground.

Back