Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That interview with Gerard Whately a week or so back was concerning for me and I mentioned it here. He seemed so full of his own abilities and ideas. When someone sounds like this it must send alarm bells ringing, because the only way to learn anything is through humility, something he seems to lack. Chris Grant obviously tried to get rid of him last year but was unsuccessful because of the board incompetence of signing him up for way too many years ahead.

Another wasted year. It's no wonder we can't attract good players to the club. Same s**t, nothing's changed.
It’s not even about attracting them. We can’t keep our good players from leaving. Lot of personal heat on Bevo, but it’s not his call to make. The club absolutely needed to make the call after the West Coast debacle last year and much like Treloar approaching a front-on contest, we squibbed it.

It’s not even about attracting them. We can’t keep our good players from leaving. Lot of personal heat on Bevo, but it’s not his call to make. The club absolutely needed to make the call after the West Coast debacle last year and much like Treloar approaching a front-on contest, we squibbed it.
This is the biggest concern. Dunkley wasn’t happy with the club and wanted out. Same now happening with Baz. Interstate teams lose players who want to go home, but You don’t see this happening at well run clubs in VIC other than us.

Bevo (and Grant) haven’t managed these player or our overall midfield balance well at all and now we are left with an ageing midfield and young guys wanting out.

So, now we can ask the question: who within the club could take over the role as interim head coach to replace Beveridge? I'm assuming here that external options may not be available due to existing commitments etc.
Two candidates stand out to me, Lade or Edge.
Edge is our VFL coach and as an avid VFL watcher, I was most impressed with the style of football the team played on it's barnstorming way to the finals. Lade has a solid background as an assistant and could fill the role with good support around him.
I liked what I saw with Edge so I'll give him the edge.

It’s obviously very harsh to jump off after just one game.. the problem we have here is that we’ve just had an off season where we’ve been told there’s been big change, new coaches in, new players in, “whitten oval is buzzing” is what KWW said, a video out on socials the day of the match about “creating a narrative” and going against the criticism of us - and then we watch 116 minutes of the same gamestyle and problems of 2023.

The club made a ballsy move being confident going in, and the fans rightly so, feel like they’re been sold a lemon.

It’s obviously very harsh to jump off after just one game.. the problem we have here is that we’ve just had an off season where we’ve been told there’s been big change, new coaches in, new players in, “whitten oval is buzzing” is what KWW said, a video out on socials the day of the match about “creating a narrative” and going against the criticism of us - and then we watch 116 minutes of the same gamestyle and problems of 2023.

The club made a ballsy move being confident going in, and the fans rightly so, feel like they’re been sold a lemon.
* I forgot about the video, were an actual embarrassment 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was well played by a few at the club, doing the reviews and the off field changes without sacking him, because it’s protected the club (I.e. themselves) and left Bev totally exposed: either he gets the team performing or he’s out on his arse with nothing else left to blame and no sympathy from the media. ‘The club’ can knife him with clean hands and avoid the negative blowback that it (they) failed him, which would have likely come in 2022 or 23.

Small club mentality to be forever indebted to a coach for something he did 8 years ago. Stump up, pay the man out and move on.

It was obvious his coaching was cooked after we lost to west coast.
Not sure that the club feel indebted to the man. That would require a degree of reflection, and weighing up pros and cons. I think it's more the case that Bevo has a mystical influence over the powers that be, in much the same way that the Romanovs were enthralled by Rasputin. Either that or Bevo is just as hard to kill. If anyone has any other notions as to why the club can't see the writing on the wall then I'm all ears, like the aliens in episode 17 of Star Trek- the ones with a left ear, a right ear, and a final frontear.

It was well played by a few at the club, doing the reviews and the off field changes without sacking him, because it’s protected the club (I.e. themselves) and left Bev totally exposed: either he gets the team performing or he’s out on his arse with nothing else left to blame and no sympathy from the media. ‘The club’ can knife him with clean hands and avoid the negative blowback that it (they) failed him, which would have likely come in 2022 or 23.

There were a few posts here also claiming that sacking Bev when we should have (west coast game cough cough), we would have had to pay out the rest of his contract? But sacking him now would mean we have to only pay the next 6 months. Or something to that effect.

Would also make sense.

There were a few posts here also claiming that sacking Bev when we should have (west coast game cough cough), we would have had to pay out the rest of his contract? But sacking him now would mean we have to only pay the next 6 months. Or something to that effect.

Would also make sense.
Thats what I was told.
At the time his old contract had a full payout sum in it, would of torched our soft cap.

New contract that kicked in this year has a 6 month payout clause.

Needless to say that if we want to get rid of him now, it’ll be less painful on the wallet, just more painful on field/interim coach.

Thats what I was told.
At the time his old contract had a full payout sum in it, would of torched our soft cap.

New contract that kicked in this year has a 6 month payout clause.

Needless to say that if we want to get rid of him now, it’ll be less painful on the wallet, just more painful on field/interim coach.

i wonder, realistically, how many games would we have to lose before ripping the bandaid off. Going 0-2 cooked our season before it could get off the ground last year. Quickest players only meeting ever. Would that be too optimistic?

Bevo’s hunches and intuitive thoughts should be for his own life, not the lives of players doing their utmost to play at the top level. The best football team needs to be picked every week.
Last year when these threads were on fire I suggested we take team selection off him, as this was his weakest area, some laughed, but I would still do it, and do it from this week. If he doesn’t like it, show him the door. He’s useless at it, so an instant improvement at the club.

i wonder, realistically, how many games would we have to lose before ripping the bandaid off. Going 0-2 cooked our season before it could get off the ground last year. Quickest players only meeting ever. Would that be too optimistic?

It's an interesting first half of the season - for a genuine contender it would be a dream draw.

Until we play the Giants away in Rd 10, we have Suns (Ballarat), Eagles (Marvel), Cats (AO), Essendon (Marvel), Saints (Marvel), Freo (Perth), Hawks (Marvel) and Richmond (MCG). One genuine away game, the rest should be eminently winnable. A top four team would probably go 7-1 in that stretch, a finals team would win 5 or 6.

If we're 5-4 or better after that stretch then he hangs on, but the knives will be out waiting for the next stretch - Giants (Sydney), Swans (Marvel), Pies (Marvel), Brisbane (Marvel). Go 0-4 and get a couple of canings and he'll likely be forced out after that.

I don't want the team to lose, but if we are something like 3-6 before we even hit the hard part of the draw then the noise will probably be deafening. He should already be gone, we're just living out the last rites.

Q1- What's the earliest in the season a coach has been sacked ?
Q2- who was the last premiership coach to get the sack ?

Might have an update to both in a few weeks?!
(Wheeler was sacked after round 2, 1994 btw.)
Wasn't Schimmelbusch sacked after a massive loss in the pre-season. Hard to beat that 😲

I will say one thing, without getting into the specifics of Bevo. I saw Clarko speak at a function the other day. Not the first time I’ve seen him and whatever you might think of him he is always terrific at these things.

He made one very good point, which is that the good clubs don’t react in the short term. He openly mocked Carlton, Essendon, GC, St Kilda and North for panicking and changing course (coach, president, CEO) every three to four years whenever it seems things aren’t working and bowing to the loud masses or coteries.

He also pointed out that success is never in a straight line and clubs like Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney know it and don’t react short-term.

That certainly doesn’t mean we shouldn’t move on from Bevo if this year doesn’t pan out. I think it does to some explain the desire to stay the course to date. I was seething last night but I frankly expect the club to ignore the short-term backlash.

The noise will be deafening as soon as it becomes clear we won’t make finals (if that happens) but frankly I expect the club to do everything it can to have a good year until then.

I will say one thing, without getting into the specifics of Bevo. I saw Clarko speak at a function the other day. Not the first time I’ve seen him and whatever you might think of him he is always terrific at these things.

He made one very good point, which is that the good clubs don’t react in the short term. He openly mocked Carlton, Essendon, GC, St Kilda and North for panicking and changing course (coach, president, CEO) every three to four years whenever it seems things aren’t working and bowing to the loud masses or coteries.

He also pointed out that success is never in a straight line and clubs like Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney know it and don’t react short-term.

That certainly doesn’t mean we shouldn’t move on from Bevo if this year doesn’t pan out. I think it does to some explain the desire to stay the course to date. I was seething last night but I frankly expect the club to ignore the short-term backlash.

The noise will be deafening as soon as it becomes clear we won’t make finals (if that happens) but frankly I expect the club to do everything it can to have a good year until then.
This is incredibly true, as well as the over-reaction of what losses like these mean as a representation of how good or bad we actually are.

We lost to a finals-expected team on their home ground, where their goalkicking accuracy (out of our control) led to a bigger margin than what the score actually was.

According to statistical models: https://live.squiggle.com.au/ we are currently the 11th best team in the league on form after that game. Which seems fair. It's not 13th or 15th or whatever people are saying. It's 11th. We are still a chance, though unlikely, to make finals, but people are suggesting it's a fait accompli that we won't make finals. Similar with the off-season review stuff - give it more than one game to see if it's working or not!

The fact of the matter is, despite all the trials and tribulations, Bevo inherited a bad team at the end of 2014 and has maintained a winning record over 200+ games of footy. Of course some of that is attributable to the overlap of players like Bont, but it's not entirely due to that (and indeed Bevo should deservedly get some credit for the player that Bont has become). I would suggest that Bevo is, at the very least, equally as good as the average value of an average coach that we could expect to come in should we replace him. Otherwise he wouldn't have had a winning record.

Back