List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats for the SA U18's internal trial

WY3J3K.jpg

HIbd38.jpg

AFL Draft Central's wrap up of the game.

Can't link to the site as for some reason the links don't work on Big Footy

SOUTH Australia’s top under 18 Academy players had their first proper hit-out for the year with an internal trial game on the weekend, with potential number one pick Jack Lukosius having a day out.

The top South Australian National Football League (SANFL) aspiring draftees were divided up in Saturday’s trial which was held at Richmond.

SA Under 18 Internal Trial:

YELLOW: 3.1 8.4 12.7 13.8 (86)
BLUE: 3.3 4.3 7.3 11.4 (70)

Best:

YELLOW: Lukosius, Lochowiak, Lewis, Tucker, Chandler, Coleman.
BLUE: Hately, Sparrow, Nietschke, Ahmatt-Lovett, Hone.

Goals:

YELLOW: Tucker 4, Lovelock, Munn, Langley 2, Chandler, Pudney, Jones.
BLUE: Hately 3, Ahmatt-Lovett 3, Saywell, Rankine, Gutsche, Wilkinson, Hone

A host of AFL talent scouts were in attendance to watch this year’s crop of potential SA draftees show their skills. Talent identification is a patient business, with three of South Australia’s 2017 AFL drafted players not even selected to participate in the equivalent game last year, instead making their mark throughout the season.

Players were split between Yellow and Blue sides, with all players rotating through several positions over the game. The Yellow team was victorious by six points.

The game produced some stand out performances, none more so than Woodville-West Torrens player Jack Lukosius, who was flawless and controlled the game from both centre half back and the wing. His class was at an AFL-ready level with 25 possessions and 14 marks, and his ability to adapt to new roles was highly impressive.

St Peter’s College and Sturt Yellow team player Tom Lewis raised his draft stakes, clocking up a game high 17 tackles – all of which were felt by the opposition – matched with a balanced inside/outside game of 19 possessions. Fellow Yellow and Sturt player Mihail Lochowaik was amongst the best in a powerful rebounding effort which included 23 possessions.

Others from the Yellow team to show promise were Donnell Tucker with his classy four goals, and AFL Level 2 Academy member Hugo Munn, who finished with two goals along with Glenelg’s Oscar Lovelock and North Adelaide tall James Langley.

The Blue team had a more even spread of contributors with classy Central Districts forwards Jackson Hately and Malachai Ahmatt-Lovett booting three goals and looking dangerous whenever the ball was in their area. The work ethic of South Adelaide midfielder Tom Sparrow was highly impressive, while North Adelaide’s Boyd Woodcock and Central’s Aaron Nietschke were consistent all game.

It was a promising start for South Australia’s 2018 path to the AFL National Championships, with plenty of depth in the squad making for an exciting campaign. All players now return to their SANFL clubs, and in addition to those who played in the game, another eight to 10 are on the radar for selection alongside a handful of over-age players.

ok some of those abbreviations on the stat sheet I can't work out...

KS = Short kicks
KL = Long kicks
KG = Cunningham????
KI = Kicks intercepted????
KC = Kicks that are clangers????

HE = Efficient Handball?
HI = Inefficient Handball?
HC = ???

HR = Handball receives ?

LM = ??

ok some of those abbreviations on the stat sheet I can't work out...

KS = Short kicks
KL = Long kicks
KG = Cunningham????
KI = Kicks intercepted????
KC = Kicks that are clangers????

HE = Efficient Handball?
HI = Inefficient Handball?
HC = ???

HR = Handball receives ?

LM = ??

KS = Efficient Kick Short
KL = Efficient Kick Long
KG = Kick to Ground
KI = Inefficient Kick
KC = Clanger Kick
HE = Efficient Handball
HI = Inefficient Handball
HC = Clanger Handball
HR = Handball Receive
LM = Marks on Lead

He was a bloody good wingman when Blight first went to Geelong. Some of the things he did in those first couple of seasons on the field were just jaw dropping
I can recall a game where he kicked 5 goals playing off a wing, before he became more of a forward. Was freakish & great to watch.

Interesting Geelong are looking to play Danger more up forward, so they are taking a top 2 mid in the comp away from the middle to play up forward, says a lot.
Expect they will play both Danger & Ablett as midfielders/forwards given the need for more goal kicking options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett Snr was a half back/wingman in early part of his career.
More HF /Wing than Half Back

I dont ever remember him at half back,

He was kicking 80 year from mainly half forward. Until that 1993 season when he was early 30's and Blighty moved him to Full forward. Him, Mods and Dunstall all kicked 100. He then kicked 100 in 1994 and 1995

upload_2018-2-23_13-38-4.png

Any thoughts on this, Bicks?
Looks very promising but I haven't seen enough of him yet to form an honest assessment of where he sits in the pecking order, the fact we have 1st dibs means we'll all be following Mihail's progress very closely. Interestingly there two other Lochowiak's in our Academy too Jacob and Anzac, of the two I've heard mostly about Anzac and it sounds like he's a decent talent too looking to the future. Looks to be some real promising indigenous lads for SA this year, Malachai Ah Matt-Lovett [Grandson of Tokyo Basketball Olympian Michael Ah Matt] and Kai Pudney looked impressive in the internal trial too. Pudney I believe is in Port's Academy squad is also a top 800m junior athlete..

Looks very promising but I haven't seen enough of him yet to form an honest assessment of where he sits in the pecking order, the fact we have 1st dibs means we'll all be following Mihail's progress very closely. Interestingly there two other Lochowiak's in our Academy too Jacob and Anzac, of the two I've heard mostly about Anzac and it sounds like he's a decent talent too looking to the future. Looks to be some real promising indigenous lads for SA this year, Malachai Ah Matt-Lovett [Grandson of Tokyo Basketball Olympian Michael Ah Matt] and Kai Pudney looked impressive in the internal trial too. Pudney I believe is in Port's Academy squad is also a top 800m junior athlete..

2nd Hand only heard, Mihail is improving every year, needs consistency throughout the game, but I also heard it's his brother Anzac that everyone will want.
Have to add I have not watched the kids play so its only 2nd hand info from a Sturt supporter.

Waiting for the Under 16's expect a few Crows academy Kids to be in the side,

Malachai Ah Matt-Lovett - is also part of the Port Adelaide indigenous squad was also an SA Metro U16 state basketball rep with Jackson Hately.

He will be brought along as a forward until his engine is up to being a full time midfielder (same approach as we had with Dangerfield).

The only think that might prevent him from becoming a midfielder might be the need to play him forward.

Even then, it's pretty unlikely that we will force him to be a forward if that happens. The potential of a Danger/Fyfe type player is just too much of a reward

And because that's his best position and good forwards are hard to come by and almighty valuable

A good midfielder is much more value to a side then a good forward, and Darcy has a profile that he could quite conceivably hit the same heights of a Martin/Dangerfield/Fyfe (I would say his floor is quite low though mind you); after all the only tool he seems to lack is accumulation, but that comes with fitness and learning structure.

His forward game shouldn't be discounted of course, but should be used in a similar vein to those three. As a weapon to keep us a tad more unpredictable.

Last edited:
Even then, it's pretty unlikely that we will force him to be a forward if that happens. The potential of a Danger/Fyfe type player is just too much of a reward

A good midfielder is much more value to a side then a good forward, and Darcy has a profile that he could quite conceivably hit the same heights of a Martin/Dangerfield/Fyfe (I would say his floor is quite low though mind you); after all the only tool he seems to lack is accumulation, but that comes with fitness and learning structure.

His forward game shouldn't be discounted of course, but should be used in a similar vein to those three. As a weapon to keep us a tad more unpredictable.
So Chris Judd or GaJ was more value than Wayne Carey ? No , not at all

There is a reason why Buddy and soon to be Tom Lynch GC get the biggest bucks . No 10 yr contracts given out to mids . Even Alistair Lynch 10 yr was because he as key position

And there is no evidence that Fogarty can be a mid , I'm happy to bookmark that he won't . A pinch hitter maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back