Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
What is a pass mark for the draft?
Constantly there is debate on wether someone lived up to there pick and with the discussion around Horne Francis being traded what are people expecting out of a number 1 pick?

And then what are people expecting out of a top 5 a top 10 a top 20 etc ?
I thought I’d have a go at putting together some names and giving them a tier rating.

Number 1 ( the holy pick that bears more pressure than 2 and 3 by a fair margin it seems.)
I went from 2000 onwards

Pass- Bryce Gibbs Matthew Kreuzer
Fail- Jack Watts Jonathon Patton Tom Scully Tom Boyd
Good- Murphy Cooney Whitfield Weitering
Very Good- Swallow Goddard Walsh Deledio
Amazing- Hodge Reiwoldt

Have left out some names especially recent but can do a atm rating. This is not my rating for them as a player more on what they have showed while considering age opportunities etc.

Ugle Hagan- fail
Matt Rowell- Good
Mcgrath- Good
Rayner- Fail

Top 5 is interesting this is a bit more flexible with some players not living up to the hype but still being very serviceable is not seen as a waste. (This is excluding number 1 pick.)

Fail- Richard Tambling Harley Bennell Anthony Morabito Paddy Dow Gumbelton
Pass- Chris Masten Matt Leunberger Lachie Hansen
Good- Stephen Coniglio Michael Hurley Daniel Wells Jordan De Goey Daniel Wells Ryan Griffen
Very Good- Trent Cotchin Travis Boak Luke Ball Josh Kennedy
Elite- Chris Judd Lance Franklin Scott Pendelbury Marcus Bontompelli.

Top 5 is interesting this is a bit more flexible with some players not living up to the hype but still being very serviceable is not seen as a waste. (This is excluding number 1 pick.)

Fail- Richard Tambling Harley Bennell Anthony Morabito Paddy Dow Gumbelton
Pass- Chris Masten Matt Leunberger Lachie Hansen
Good- Stephen Coniglio Michael Hurley Daniel Wells Jordan De Goey Daniel Wells Ryan Griffen
Very Good- Trent Cotchin Travis Boak Luke Ball Josh Kennedy
Elite- Chris Judd Lance Franklin Scott Pendelbury Marcus Bontompelli.
How do you not rate a Brownlow medallist as elite?

Pass- Bryce Gibbs
100% agreed Gibbs was a pass for sure. Not for us especially with what we coughed up 2 1st rounders. But on his career as a whole for sure. I don't feel I'm wearing my Crows had when saying this but what really peeved me off at the time was, we should have got him as a FS but back then they had this unfair system that Vic was 100 games WA was 150 games and SA 200 games for FS Bryce's father Ross missed out as he'd only played 191 games for Glenelg before joining AFC in our inaugural season.

Last edited:
I'd put Scully in the pass mark IMO. Should have been AA at least once. Was one of the best wingmen in the comp at his peak and the Scully/Kelly/Whitfield trio was just plain fun to watch. Just a shame his body didn't hold up.

How do you not rate a Brownlow medallist as elite?
Some would rate him in the elite category and fair enough, I didn’t take the ratings too serious just looking to get the general feeling of what the expectations for the first pick top 5 picks are from others.

Shows how over rated draft picks are. Every one of those Fail/Pass/ok players had a pre draft write ups like they were guns. Posters on here talk about tiop five picks like they are certainties. On my board posters are wringing their hands over giving up pick 5 for Rankine, because pick 5 will get us an elite mid but we know from history that's far from fact. Only have to look on our list to see 'elite' pick 6 McAsey who can't get a kick at SANFL level!

That so many top five picks can end up so ordinary shows how smart it is to trade those picks for proven mature players. The AFL edict that you must use two first rounders in a rolling four year period is nanny stuff. Clubs should be able to decide for themselves if they want to opt out of the draft lottery for the security of known players.

Los of players do that, and if that's your only accomplishment as a number one draft pick, well it's hardly a pass mark.
especially when you didn't win it with the club that took you #1. Decent trade for the Doggies though

pick 1 is an interesting one. With said pick, you're generally bottom of the ladder (JUH & likely Ashcroft aside)
So what's better - you get a gun player or you get 200+ decent games from someone

Could argue the latter is better at that stage, and the gun players can come on the way up.

Hodge is the classic example. Nothing overly out of the ordinary skill wise, but durable and led them through 3 flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is a pass mark for the draft?
Constantly there is debate on wether someone lived up to there pick and with the discussion around Horne Francis being traded what are people expecting out of a number 1 pick?

And then what are people expecting out of a top 5 a top 10 a top 20 etc ?
I thought I’d have a go at putting together some names and giving them a tier rating.

Number 1 ( the holy pick that bears more pressure than 2 and 3 by a fair margin it seems.)
I went from 2000 onwards

Pass- Bryce Gibbs Matthew Kreuzer
Fail- Jack Watts Jonathon Patton Tom Scully Tom Boyd
Good- Murphy Cooney Whitfield Weitering
Very Good- Swallow Goddard Walsh Deledio
Amazing- Hodge Reiwoldt

Have left out some names especially recent but can do a atm rating. This is not my rating for them as a player more on what they have showed while considering age opportunities etc.

Ugle Hagan- fail
Matt Rowell- Good
Mcgrath- Good
Rayner- Fail

Right.

Top 5 tough as there are a few who don't make it.

You would expect 200 games from a number 1 pick IMO.
I agree that’s why the pass mark is a little lower for that category but your still expecting close on an all australian representative.

I'm still trying to work out how a 300 gamer who won the coaches association MVP and who captained his club for 6 years is rated 'Good', as is a 250 gamer who won a Brownlow medal.

Meanwhile, a player who has played 197 games without playing in a final or making an All-Australian team (let alone winning a league award) is rated 'Very Good'.

I'm still trying to work out how a 300 gamer who won the coaches association MVP and who captained his club for 6 years is rated 'Good', as is a 250 gamer who won a Brownlow medal.

Meanwhile, a player who has played 197 games without playing in a final or making an All-Australian team (let alone winning a league award) is rated 'Very Good'.
I’m not sure my ratings were spot on, who are you talking about?

Murphy and Cooney (good) vs Swallow (very good).
Ok yes Murphy could be very good definitely one of the better players for Carlton in the last 20 years.

I think Swallow has been an outstanding leader as well and one of Gold Coast best and most consistent players. Games record holder for the club best and fairest runner up twice and captain for last 4 years.

But you have a valid point and I do have a bit of a soft spot for him because of his loyalty to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back