Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I saw his game against Collingwood. Look the kid has talent but think he is a bit overhyped. Martin and to a lesser extent Conca have showed they have some real composure.

Just reckon that Cotchin's body shape isn't exactly going to make him a dominant force like Martin would be.

Almost identical physique as GAJ, except Cotchin has hair.

Roos was saying before the game he doesn't run the other way defensively - that's the only knock on his game.

When he's up and about nobody needs to.

Nonetheless, you could single out things like marking, leading and predictive play... getting in the right position to recieve the ball, but they're more important in key forwards and key backs, so it's not much of an issue.

People rag on Melbourne for taking Scully ahead of him, but to be fair, Scully had already proven before drafting that he was extremely disciplined and dedicated to football. He was as close to a guaranteed superstar as you could get. Martin was a gamble in comparison, and Melbourne probably wanted to take the safe route here, which is fair when you look at guys like Xavier Clarke, Daniel Wells, Aaron Fiora and Richard Tambling. Scully will be great for them, no doubt. Martin is simply better right now.

Your joking right? You do understand that GAJ is almost impossible to tackle? I can tell you there were at least 5 instances I saw live right in front of me at the Hawthorn Tigers game where Cotchin got absolutely smashed in one on ones. Martin on the other hand was consistently giving seasoned veterans like Hodge and Sewell some trouble. Cotchin will never be a game breaker imo. Martin has a ready made body for AFL and in a couple of years could be the most dominant mid in the game.

great talent

doesn't matter to me whether he is better than trengove and scully

both of them look they they will be excellent players to me, and that's all that matters

Good game against a horrible team.

His last goal was a joke as he played for the free kick, which was pathetic.

Trengove and Scully are comfortably better players than him.
lol...:D

When he's up and about nobody needs to.

Nonetheless, you could single out things like marking, leading and predictive play... getting in the right position to recieve the ball, but they're more important in key forwards and key backs, so it's not much of an issue.

People rag on Melbourne for taking Scully ahead of him, but to be fair, Scully had already proven before drafting that he was extremely disciplined and dedicated to football. He was as close to a guaranteed superstar as you could get. Martin was a gamble in comparison, and Melbourne probably wanted to take the safe route here, which is fair when you look at guys like Xavier Clarke, Daniel Wells, Aaron Fiora and Richard Tambling. Scully will be great for them, no doubt. Martin is simply better right now.

No doubting Scully but they had the first 2 picks remember....

He played a lot like Gazza tonight, that 1 handed grab was special as well as his work all around the ground.

Lids, Cotchin, Martin....best midfield in the comp.

Richmond will be a real force in a few years time. Just need to build the team around those 3 and Riewoldt

No doubting Scully but they had the first 2 picks remember....

Not all that clear on Trengove, all I could hear during the draft period was relentless hype for Scully. Probably the same line of reasoning that led to them taking Trengove, too, though.

Melbourne fans have nothing to worry about, though.

lol @ melbourne supporters in this thread

Martin in an absolute jet and will be in the top 5 midfield in 2-3
A start of the future :thumbsu:

We were offering our two first rounders (6.Rohan and 14.Jetta) for Richmonds pick (3. Martin) in the 09 draft.

Richmond were very wise in declining!

He'll be the best mid in the comp if (very big if) he keeps his head on straight!

We were offering our two first rounders (6.Rohan and 14.Jetta) for Richmonds pick (3. Martin) in the 09 draft.

I take it your mob's recruiters were in the know. Only justification for a trade like that is when a player like that is available.

lol @ melbourne supporters in this thread

Martin in an absolute jet and will be in the top 5 midfield in 2-3
A start of the future :thumbsu:

Screw top 5. He'll be #1 outright by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep very good player in the making. Him and Conca have very bright futures.

Cotchin on the other hand.....there is a lot of love for him but honestly I have no idea why.
Cotch wins more contested ball than anyone I've seen at Richmond for years. His disposal is a bit sloppy, I will grant yuou that, but only because it is in the clinches most of the time.
I was impressed with him tonight...again.
Angus Graham on the other hand...

Good game against a horrible team.

His last goal was a joke as he played for the free kick, which was pathetic.

Trengove and Scully are comfortably better players than him.

Only a deluded biased Melbourne supporter would say that, neither have played a game close to what he has produced the last two weeks, gets heaps of the ball and uses it very well and kicks multiple goals.

A rare breed he is, he's the enforcer, absolute brute. He's got that cocky nature about him as well which is needed in players like him. He's amazingly strong for a 2nd year kid. He's just all power and strength, no one can take him down. Gun.

Your joking right? You do understand that GAJ is almost impossible to tackle? I can tell you there were at least 5 instances I saw live right in front of me at the Hawthorn Tigers game where Cotchin got absolutely smashed in one on ones.
Cotchin has only just turned 21 this month, this was his first proper pre-season, and even then he was still nursed into it a little. Not saying he will be as good as Ablett, but at this stage in his career he still has so much more upside to improve further..

Lol at the Kruezer/Martin comparison. Carlton :rolleyes:

Just curious why Ablett is mentioned here, he was never young midfield gun, he was a lazy unfit forward pocket who one year decided to get serious and went beserk. But never showed anything like Martin/Cotchin/Scully/Trengrove whoever have shown early in their careers.

Dermie pointed out last week how in the Collingwood game he out marked HarryO several times using his strength.

Impressive kid with a big future ahead of him...

Only a deluded biased Melbourne supporter would say that, neither have played a game close to what he has produced the last two weeks, gets heaps of the ball and uses it very well and kicks multiple goals.
Scully in the wet against the Dogs last year was arguably better. Martin looks the better of the 3 so far but I'd be surprised if all 3 don't become top shelf.

Dermie pointed out last week how in the Collingwood game he out marked HarryO several times using his strength.

Impressive kid with a big future ahead of him...
Dermie also said he didn't have any scope to improve from last year because of his body shape. lol:D

Cotch wins more contested ball than anyone I've seen at Richmond for years. His disposal is a bit sloppy, I will grant yuou that, but only because it is in the clinches most of the time.
I was impressed with him tonight...again.
Angus Graham on the other hand...

Fair enough. The times I have seen him live I have never rated him. Not saying he isn't a good player. But as far as hype v output goes, Martin's hype is completely justified. I just don't think Cotchin's is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back