Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they got Jye Caldwell quite cheaply in the end anyway (the player they traded out for in the 2018 superdraft).

Miles Bergman from Port has only played a few games but that's the player that was taken with their 2019 first rounder they traded out also.

In the end it didn't pan out well for the Bombers because Shiel has been injured on and off and hasn't been an A-grade player as expected. But it's not like they missed out on much.

Well they got Jye Caldwell quite cheaply in the end anyway (the player they traded out for in the 2018 superdraft).

Miles Bergman from Port has only played a few games but that's the player that was taken with their 2019 first rounder they traded out also.

In the end it didn't pan out well for the Bombers because Shiel has been injured on and off and hasn't been an A-grade player as expected. But it's not like they missed out on much.

I remain a Shiel fan bloke is capable of playing some great footy and has some bad luck with injuries but the point remains the trade never made sense.

Essendon overrated their list in 2018 and thought a Shiel trade would push us into contention which always a long shot even if Daniher had of been healthy.

Shiel -> Caldwell & Bergman pick, with Mosquito in return (Admittedly not great drafting there)

Caldwell cost us 29 & this years 2nd
29 was from Fantasia, which also netted us the pick for Hind, pick for Eyre bid & Port's 3rd.

Bergman v Burton + Duursma.
I do the Shiel deal over Wingard every day of the week.

2nd in our BnF in 2019.
10th from 15 games in 2020 (2 spells through suspension and injury)
this year unfortunately copped the bigger injury which saw him miss the first large chunk of a season since 2015.

Averaged stats 2021:

Wingard: Shiel

Disposals: 22.3: 19.4
Goal assists: 2.1: 0:1 (ouch!)
Marks: 3.6: 2.1

Gee wiz
0.4 goals to 0.8
And let's be honest, Dyl isn't known for his goal kicking. Or his kicking. Except his Disp. Efficiency is higher than Wingard's.

we could try a year where they played similar number of games and one wasn't returning from a serious knee injury?
2020 say?

Wingard: Shiel

Disposals: 14.8: 23.1
Goal assists: 0.5: 0.5
Marks: 2.9: 2.5
and since we're cherry picking (marks for midfielders, lol)
Effective disposals: 8.9: 15.5
Time on ground: 85%: 80% (poor Chad, more time to do less)

Also, Burton + Duursma > Bergman (sorry Miles, i'm a fan, but the other two are guns)

Shiel -> Caldwell & Bergman pick, with Mosquito in return (Admittedly not great drafting there)

Caldwell cost us 29 & this years 2nd
29 was from Fantasia, which also netted us the pick for Hind, pick for Eyre bid & Port's 3rd.

Bergman v Burton + Duursma.
I do the Shiel deal over Wingard every day of the week.

2nd in our BnF in 2019.
10th from 15 games in 2020 (2 spells through suspension and injury)
this year unfortunately copped the bigger injury which saw him miss the first large chunk of a season since 2015.

Hawthorn also gave up a second rounder in the Wingard deal.

Wingard will be a pivotal part of Sam Mitchell’s midfield of the future. Can’t wait to watch.

Shiel will be…I seriously don’t know the answer.

Shiel will be a pivotal part of Ben Rutten's midfield of the future. Can't wait to watch.

Wingard will be...I seriously don't know the answer.

This was fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt Essendon will try and cash out on him, he'll be midfield depth at worst next year unless he wants to go

Unless they want to clear more salary cap space and make a massive play for Ben King at the end of next season, who is still yet to re-commit to The Suns.

Shiel will be a pivotal part of Ben Rutten's midfield of the future. Can't wait to watch.

Wingard will be...I seriously don't know the answer.

This was fun.
Lloydy likes to play too:

“Where to for Dylan Shiel? Where does he play next year,” Lloyd asked on Sportsday.

“You’ve got (Sam) Draper as the ruckman, and then (Darcy) Parish, (Zach) Merrett, (Jake) Stringer and (Andy) McGrath, and I think Kyle Langford when gets back, as well … there are five I’d select in front of Dylan Shiel in that midfield.

“I don’t know where he plays in that side.”

Unless they want to clear more salary cap space and make a massive play for Ben King at the end of next season, who is still yet to re-commit to The Suns.
We don't need the cap space. We only just got to the cap floor this year and it'll be similar next year with Hooker and Zaka clearing a little over 1 mill off the books. With Hurley either retiring or being on a much lower contract in 2023, we'll have the space to play for King regardless.

Looks a hell of a lot better if Mosquito doesn’t do his knee :(

Why are we talking about Wingard?
Mozzie wasn't part of this deal. He was in the Smith deal

Lloydy likes to play too:

“Where to for Dylan Shiel? Where does he play next year,” Lloyd asked on Sportsday.

“You’ve got (Sam) Draper as the ruckman, and then (Darcy) Parish, (Zach) Merrett, (Jake) Stringer and (Andy) McGrath, and I think Kyle Langford when gets back, as well … there are five I’d select in front of Dylan Shiel in that midfield.

“I don’t know where he plays in that side.”
See the weekend
All bar Langford played and we still needed more in the middle

Lloydy needs to analyse harder.
Good teams bat deep in the middle. We can just scrape a decent one together with no injury

Pretty sure it was smith and 2017 2nd for 1st and we used that 2nd for half of stringer
We got Smith, 25 and GWS's future second for pick 11 and a future 3rd
We then traded our future second for Saad
After that we traded picks 25 and 30 (ours) for Stringer

In 2018 we brought in Shiel and a future second for 2 first round picks. We then drafted Mozzie with the pick GWS gave us as part of the Smith deal. In a roundabout way we got Nick Bryan from this deal.

Back