EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t read the articles anymore but did I hear Rupertswood want to go directly into premier league.
Interesting and might be based on the new salary cap as clearly they wouldn’t be able to compete if the cap was still 200k plus.
EDFL will put them into div1 to even out the comp imo. Otherwise they go for a 12 team comp and give APW the option to stay up in premier with Rupo being the other side.
Rupo have a reasonable good junior sides from memory. Is that still the case as that’s relevant.

Thoughts..

I can’t read the articles anymore but did I hear Rupertswood want to go directly into premier league.
Interesting and might be based on the new salary cap as clearly they wouldn’t be able to compete if the cap was still 200k plus.
EDFL will put them into div1 to even out the comp imo. Otherwise they go for a 12 team comp and give APW the option to stay up in premier with Rupo being the other side.
Rupo have a reasonable good junior sides from memory. Is that still the case as that’s relevant.

Thoughts..
Article says they looking to go into division 1 next season not premier. RDFL have denied their request so no the decision is in the hands of AFL vic

Richmond's two-time premiership player Bachar Houli has revealed his mother is fighting for her life in hospital and has pleaded for the Muslim community to be tested for COVID-19.

A footy personality might create more awareness and seriousness into the north west communities.

099D0DC4-BCAE-4A8C-AA9F-65ED0FB021BC.png

It was a milestone worth the wait to celebrate for Curtis and the McLaren footy club, who celebrated a thumping 22.11.143 to 1.0.6 win over rivals Victor Harbour.

Curtis booted 10 goals for the match - fulfilling the ultimate fantasy for ressies battlers across the country.

Last edited:
If and it’s a bit if at this stage international borders open up by this time next year, how many players use the reduced footy payments as a reason to go travel Europe/USA in summer.. Can’t blame any of them either, many sacrifice this to play footy.

If and it’s a bit if at this stage international borders open up by this time next year, how many players use the reduced footy payments as a reason to go travel Europe/USA in summer.. Can’t blame any of them either, many sacrifice this to play footy.
If players want to travel then by all means go ahead. Believe me , no-one cares about players who don't play

Will be interesting to see how clubs adapt to the new salary cap.. Will clubs play by the rules, or will there be lots of brown paper bags handed out??

I suspect most will want to play by the rules, however it might also force metro clubs to get more inventive with the way they recruit and move towards the VAFA model of networking, jobs and contracts being offered instead of straight out match payments.. If clubs dont adapt this way, it will just mean more and more of the better players will end up playing VAFA.

At $100K a year cap a team has $5,555 a game to spend or $252 per player and in practice, the clubs have learnt to set their player portfolio up to spend a bit less to make sure things don't get too tight like it did for Douttas a couple of years ago where they asked players to play for nothing towards the end to come under the cap, so $90K will likely be the target for $5000 a game or $227 per player.

Now if you want to pay your top 5 players say $500 a game ($2,500) the other 17 players average goes to $147 per game.

So let's get fair dinkum here the below non-ex junior blokes will they play for this or will they retire, work, go VFL, Ammos or to a local club that finds a way :moneybag:?
This is a great point cheap - I have had various discussions over the past week or so with some very long serving, passionate club people and the baseline was the first question - In your opinion, Why was the Salary cap & Points introduced in the first place ? The overall summary was to even up the clubs in the competition, keep clubs financially viable and encourage/develop Juniors to play/remain at their club. The question seemed simply enough until it took a turn to various other areas including all previous financial incentives, volunteers, facilities, canteen/bar and why it has just veered off course.

So i asked the next question - What would happen with No Salary Cap or points like the past years ?? Well- let me just say - I probably shouldn't have asked that question as my ears are still ringing and have almost learn't a new language !!! But, it was a very interesting discussion to say the least..

The EDFL was never stronger and more competitive than when there was no points cap and no salary cap, since its introduction its steadily gone backwards as Abers & Keilor dominate because of their strong junior links and clubs like Pascoe Vale, Marby & Avondale have just tread water.

In the 10 years 2006 - 2015, 5 separate clubs won flags... Clubs like Avondale, APW, West Coburg, Oak Park, Doutta all played finals at various stages.. 2 clubs went from Div 1 to premeriships in Greenvale & Marby..

But because of jealousy and an inability to run their clubs well enough to compete for recruits, the other metro leagues forced AFL Vic to bring in these 'equalisation' measures, which in reality the only clubs that have benefited are SKOBS and Uni Blues who now recruit the players that used to end up playing EDFL.

Last edited:
The EDFL was never stronger and more competitive than when there was no points cap and no salary cap, since its introduction its steadily gone backwards as Abers & Keilor dominate because of their strong junior links and clubs like Pascoe Vale, Marby & Avondale have just tread water.

In the 10 years 2006 - 2015, 5 separate clubs won flags... Clubs like Avondale, APW, West Coburg, Oak Park, Doutta all played finals at various stages.. 2 clubs went from Div 1 to premeriships in Greenvale & Marby..

But because of jealousy and an inability to run their clubs well enough to compete for recruits, the other metro leagues forced AFL Vic to bring in these 'equalisation' measures, which in reality the only clubs that have benefited are SKOBS and Uni Blues who now recruit the players that used to end up playing EDFL.

Only 6 clubs have won flags in the last 20 years

Since 2000 Premierships!

Keilor - 2000, 2001, 2008, 2016, 2019 x 5
Greenvale - 2004, 2007, 2012, 2013 x 4
Strathmore - 2005, 2006, 2011, 2014 x 4
Aberfeldie - 2015, 2017, 2018 x 3
Maribyrnong Park - 2009, 2010 x 2
Oak Park - 2002, 2003 x 2

Only 6 clubs have won flags in the last 20 years

Since 2000 Premierships!

Keilor - 2000, 2001, 2008, 2016, 2019 x 5
Greenvale - 2004, 2007, 2012, 2013 x 4
Strathmore - 2005, 2006, 2011, 2014 x 4
Aberfeldie - 2015, 2017, 2018 x 3
Maribyrnong Park - 2009, 2010 x 2
Oak Park - 2002, 2003 x 2
The other stat is that no other club other then those 6 has played in a GF except for EDS in 2006.
OP are now in division 2 after spending to much money 2011 and having no moneyto spend as they were trying to play off the massive loan that they borrowed to try and win the flag. This new salary cap of 100,000 will help clubs in lower division a chance to move up divisions and stop the one sided premier division. I’ll will be good for the league. I also think that the top 2 and bottom 2 should also be relegated and promoted like the VAFA. That means clubs who put in hard work all year and make a GF get some rewards. It also makes games later in the year more important for a team that’s last, 2nd, 3rd and 4th last if they are all around the same mark to try and win not just tank to save money.

The other stat is that no other club other then those 6 has played in a GF except for EDS in 2006.
OP are now in division 2 after spending to much money 2011 and having no moneyto spend as they were trying to play off the massive loan that they borrowed to try and win the flag. This new salary cap of 100,000 will help clubs in lower division a chance to move up divisions and stop the one sided premier division. I’ll will be good for the league. I also think that the top 2 and bottom 2 should also be relegated and promoted like the VAFA. That means clubs who put in hard work all year and make a GF get some rewards. It also makes games later in the year more important for a team that’s last, 2nd, 3rd and 4th last if they are all around the same mark to try and win not just tank to save money.
good calls

It all depends on what you want for the league, is it to be the best the best standard of football possible... or are you happy for it to be mediocre, just as long as everyone has a chance of winning, or another term you could call it is communism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all depends on what you want for the league, is it to be the best the best standard of football possible... or are you happy for it to be mediocre, just as long as everyone has a chance of winning, or another term you could call it is communism.
Happy for every club to have an even chance of success... For too long that has simply not been the reality

The best leagues normally are the most competitive. Where on most Saturday every game is 50-50 or at least 60-40.
At the moment their are 5 teams fighting it out for 4 spots every year. When I played the team that was 8-9 on the ladder had chance to beat the top 2. These days it would never happen.

Communism? Not even close.
Incentivising loyalty and the development of local youth is surely at the core of what local footy is about.

See Kyle Hardingham is moving back to WA. Tough time to be looking for a new coach

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah agree but remember plenty of coaches out there looking for jobs after AFL clubs pulled there reserves teans and reducing expenses. Douttas always seem to find high profile coaches. Wonder if either of the Tankard’s will apply as think they are originally from Douttas. But think they will look for a high profile coach especially with a younger side.

I'm torn on this one I really don't know (a few will get a giggle out of this being the resident know it all:))

I love watching the elite local players going around and seeing quality game plans pitted against one another but when I really think about what I love most it's watching the battle or a bunch of blokes having a real crack with a chance to win.

It's probably the tribal emotion for a local club and battling out local rivalries, that tribal instinct would probably still be there if the level dropped off a bit but you wouldn't want it to get too messy with constant turnovers and down the line kick to kick footy.

I remember a quality premier EDFL umpire once told me that the biggest difference between Div 1 and premier was the lateral ball movement and use of the full width of the ground and speed of ball movement. He said it was a real adjustment moving between divisions and positioning was much tougher in Premier because of how dynamic the ball movement was so if we let the quality drop too much it could get pretty stagnant and not good to watch.

So let's say we go with the equalisation path with a lower salary cap I don't think that is the thing that creates more equalisation because it's really the points that are ripping the competition apart (I won't make my case on that again), so if we are going for equalisation the points are more important than the salary cap because we all know that the salary cap gets worked around.

I don't think the quality will drop off dramatically because the salary cap will be worked around and as I have said before if we still see the 20-30 elite players still running around we will know that for a fact.

So maybe the middle ground is we drop the salary cap and we equalise the points system then we will still get the quality players running around (cap will be cheated but it high help clubs shave it off a bit) and we equalise the points so we at least give clubs a chance to field like for like cattle within 47 points.?

With Keilor and Abers having the large majority of kids in the elite systems and an ability to move around the cap (like others can and do) then without points equalisation, the competition will have better quality players but be more unequal.

Either way, unless the points get addressed it will still be unequal and my view is the quality won't drop that much in practice.

Last edited:
See Kyle Hardingham is moving back to WA. Tough time to be looking for a new coach

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They don’t need one just yet but allows them time to see who is available. Find the best fit for the club, one who can develop the young team they have.
Maybe they should talk to Dale Morris, as an ex Doutta person he may be interested.

Last edited:
Turbo … The minimal players who decide to travel instead of playing footy will not impact on clubs being able to field teams...

my comment wasn’t about clubs being able to field a team, however will dilute the quality..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back