EPL Matchday 2 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know about that.

I'd be pretty filthy if that wasn't given as offside.

I suspect VAR was too preoccupied with (correctly) determining that a potential foul was not made in the leadup to the goal and simply overlooked this.

Interesting in the first clip that the Chelsea shill put up on his Twitter account conveniently missed the preceding 5 seconds where Cucurella turned his back on play and had his arms around Romero.

The second clip, well Mendy can see the shot taken. Richarlison is a full 10 yards from the keeper. There are really no excuses. Mendy doesn't save that ball one way or the other.

Interesting in the first clip that the Chelsea shill put up on his Twitter account conveniently missed the preceding 5 seconds where Cucurella turned his back on play and had his arms around Romero.

The second clip, well Mendy can see the shot taken. Richarlison is a full 10 yards from the keeper. There are really no excuses. Mendy doesn't save that ball one way or the other.
How is that justification for pulling a guy's hair?

The doesnt save it either way is irrelevant to offside law.

I would say it is pretty clear that Mendy positions himself left to get a look at play due to Richarlison and this affects his ability to react and save to the right.

Its offside for me.

Spicy stuff, watching Conte v Tuchel like

PATQCTt19GMUEs23fVxvFWKDfbs=.gif

Yep, VAR reviewed and cleared.

Chelsea fans seem to think that the actual rules don't apply to them though. The carry on over a clean tackle on Havertz and a guy not interfering with the goalkeeper just makes it even better.
I thought that Havertz was fouled but the camera angle from across the opposite side of the ground showed clear contact with the ball first. Taylor had that same vision.

I don't think the goal should have been ruled out for a foul in the build up because like you said, we had a clear opportunity to clear, but the frustration is that it's a foul (IMO, obvious bias) and it's missed which is a pattern for Taylor and Chelsea.
It wasn’t a foul

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say it is pretty clear that Mendy positions himself left to get a look at play due to Richarlison and this affects his ability to react and save to the right.

Its offside for me.

Fair enough.👍

Its offside for me.
Would have had to move to look around Koulibaly anyway. The ball went right across him (possible slight deflection from memory) so his view would be blocked either way imo.

How many games do managers get for a red? Assume it isn't an automatic 3 game ban like it is for players (excluding deliberate handball / professional foul DOGSO reds)?
It's 3 games.
Not sure why Conte got a red card when it was Tuchel who lost the plot and threw a hissy fit.

Which to me says it's not clear and obvious so shouldn't be overturned.

Agree with that. There could have been a free kick given either way for Antonio or the defender. There's not a clear and obvious error. But once the ref doesn't give it and the VAR asks him to have another look there's only one outcome.

I can't remember the last time a ref checked the monitor and didn't award the VAR decision. So what's the point? Just let VAR tell the ref the decisions.

Richarlison looked like he was in Mendy's line of vision. He was well offside. The goal should have been chalked off by VAR.
Mendy had a clear line of sight at Hojbjerg and the ball when it was struck. Richarlison was over 10 metres away from Mendy too. You're clutching at straws if you think he materially impeded Mendy's vision.

Mendy had a clear line of sight at Hojbjerg and the ball when it was struck. Richarlison was over 10 metres away from Mendy too. You're clutching at straws if you think he materially impeded Mendy's vision.

Didn't Richarlison pretty much have to jump out of the way of the shot?

Dier forgot we weren't playing a back 3 and stepped up leaving Davies vs 2. Bad. But worse was Romero and Kulu failing to clear the ball and giving it away in a bad spot
Looked more like Son was anticipating Kulusevsky playing the ball forward. It should be noted Perisic was waiting to come on when the goal was scored.

Didn't Richarlison pretty much have to jump out of the way of the shot?
No. If anything he stepped back towards the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back