Preview Essendon vs Richmond, MCG, Saturday 02/06/18, 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Had an excellent game against GWS, streaking away to a 35 point win, Mark Baguley starring as a forward, kicking 3 goals whilst David Zaharakis had 33 touches and a goal running through the midfield. Tom Bellchambers may have only had 3 touches but had 45 hit outs and 18 to advantage.

Richmond: Had Jack Riewoldt and Bachar Houli go down early but recovered to defeat a hapless St. Kilda by 28 points, captain Trent Cotchin having 32 disposals and kicking whilst Josh Caddy was dominant up forward with 6 goals among his 24 disposals.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 0-5 Richmond

Form Guide

Essendon: 2W 3L
Richmond: 4W 1L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $3.60
Richmond: $1.30
Line: 22.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Richmond

B: Ridley - Hooker - Dea
F:Moore - Riewoldt - Butler
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
HF: Martin - Caddy - Higgins
C: Zaharakis - Langford - Z Merrett
C: Grigg - Cotchin - McIntosh
HF: Baguley - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti
HB: Short - Grimes - Vlaustin
F: Fantasia - McKernan - Stringer
B: Broad - Astbury - Rance
R: Bellchambers - D Smith - Heppell
R: Nankervis - Lambert - Graham
I: Goddard - McGrath - Guelfi - Laverde
I: Ellis - Conca - Menadue - Edwards

Essendon in: Hurley; Out: Ambrose (calf)
Richmond in: Grimes; Out: Houli (groin)

Richmond defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has been around the average for forward efficiency so far this season, rating of 24%, but the big issue is that they have the 3rd lowest inside 50 rate of any team. Richmond are keeping sides well, conceding a goal around the 24% mark but are very good at strangling teams. Essendon may have a look at going a smaller than usual forward line with one genuine tall in Stewart and then two taller mediums in Laverde and Stringer, maybe trying to go similar to what Richmond are doing with manic pressure from the likes of Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti and (surprisingly re-inventing himself as a forward) Baguley. Richmond do cut off attacks very well with the likes of Grimes and Rance, with Astbury usually taking the main tall, in this case Stewart.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon have improved recently in the middle of the ground thanks to the addition of Kyle Langford, along with skipper Dyson Heppell returning to form, climbing from 16th early in the season to 11th in clearance differential, and from 15th to 10th in Contested Possession differential, whereas Richmond are struggling in this area, being 16th and 15th in these areas respectively. Essendon's pressure around the ball, provided by the aforementioned Langford and Heppell as well as Devon Smith having high tackle numbers of recent weeks. Captain Trent Cotchin, superstar Dustin Martin and the rising Jack Graham will be hoping to combat this trio of Essendon players, as on the outside they have the likes of Nick Vlaustin, Connor Menadue and Shaun Grigg to provide a point of difference to the Dons. Rucks wise, a lot will depend on whether or not Tom Bellchambers gets up after a calf injury against GWS, if not they'll be going with Leuenberger or McKernan against the very strong Nankervis.

Richmond forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been under a lot of pressure this season, and has been a little poorer than last season, conceding a goal 23% of the time it enters defensive 50. Richmond are going okay in terms of efficiency, around the 24% mark for forward efficiency. Richmond may miss the very durable Jack Riewoldt, who has only missed 3 games from the start of the 2010 season, which would make Callum Moore the main avenue inside 50. The smalls of Edwards, Higgins and Butler will be Essendon's worries though, as well as Josh Caddy. Hooker and Hurley will be trying to intercept mark for the most part, something most sides fail to achieve against Richmond. Adam Saad and Conor McKenna will have a tougher time than they usually do running it out of defence.

X-Factor Player

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti defines X-Factor. He's quick, strong for his size and has beautiful skills. Dreamtime at the G is the perfect time to strut his stuff and show why he can win it for the Dons.

Key stat

Essendon: Clearances. If Essendon can beat Richmond around the stoppage and get it forward quickly, it's a big advantage.

Richmond: Tackles Inside 50's. This is the key stat for the Tiges every week. If they get it right there aren't many sides who can beat them.

Tip

Head over heart, Tigers by 17

Last edited:
This game will be a big one.

I want Parish playing, but I don't know who he would replace. Our side has a good mix of big bodies at the moment and I wouldn't bring him to replace a big body.
Maybe also Hurley for Dea if he is fit. That's all.

Richmond have injuries to key players atm (although we do as well). It's our home game so this is our best chance to beat them.
They have a ridiculous winning record at the G so it'll take our best. I can't see us winning this, but hopefully we put in a good effort to give us a chance.

Long comes in because of nostalgia value - lol - no - seriously though he is due for another run in the seniors - what better time to bring him back! Ridley stiff but not sure who else could possibly come out. Dea for Hurley the obvious change. Are we some sort of chance of a sneaky upset here?? Given our form over last couple of weeks I'd have to say yes...if we did get the win it would really out our season right back on track....

OUT: Dea, Ridley
IN: Hurley, Long

Ambrose Hurley McGrath
McKenna Hooker Saad
Fantasia Heppell Z.Merrett
Laverde Stewart Tippa
Stringer McKernan Baguley

Bellcho Zakka Smith

Bench from: Goddard Guelfi Langford Long

If we bring the same endeavour (aggression at the ball, win the tackle count, attempt to break even at the clearances) from the last couple of games... then we *may* trouble them for periods of the game.

Their fans won’t like this because in their eyes we are now a bit of a minnow club after their one flag success last year and there are bigger fish to fry in the competition... but you can tell their club (from inner santum to their supporter base) LOVES beating us, from their supporter side of things it’s almost become an obsession. I think along with North they have taken the greatest pleasure of all during the ASADA associated dramas and our subsequent fall from grace.

They’ve won the last six against us and generally our style in that time has totally played into their hands.

We will need to do something radically different this week to avoid a similar result.

Long comes in because of nostalgia value - lol - no - seriously though he is due for another run in the seniors - what better time to bring him back! Ridley stiff but not sure who else could possibly come out. Dea for Hurley the obvious change. Are we some sort of chance of a sneaky upset here?? Given our form over last couple of weeks I'd have to say yes...if we did get the win it would really out our season right back on track....

OUT: Dea, Ridley
IN: Hurley, Long

Ambrose Hurley McGrath
McKenna Hooker Saad
Fantasia Heppell Z.Merrett
Laverde Stewart Tippa
Stringer McKernan Baguley

Bellcho Zakka Smith

Bench from: Goddard Guelfi Langford Long

Long for Ridley? Why on earth would we do that? Redman more deserving if anyone but Ridley deserves another game.

If we bring the same endeavour (aggression at the ball, win the tackle count, attempt to break even at the clearances) from the last couple of games... then we *may* trouble them for periods of the game.

Their fans won’t like this because in their eyes we are now a bit of a minnow club after their one flag success last year and there are bigger fish to fry in the competition... but you can tell their club (from inner santum to their supporter base) LOVES beating us, from their supporter side of things it’s almost become an obsession. I think along with North they have taken the greatest pleasure of all during the ASADA associated dramas and our subsequent fall from grace.

They’ve won the last six against us and generally our style in that time has totally played into their hands.

We will need to do something radically different this week to avoid a similar result.
Sorry for the intrusion

I’m Absolutely no way I think you guys are a minnow club I enjoy watching the bombers play let’s hope it’s a good game

We are not without a chance in this one as long as we bring the same standard we've brought to our last couple of games.

Will be interesting to see how we matchup on their forward line. If Riewoldt is out and they go for a no talls forward line then I don't think we can play more than 2 talls in defense. I'm really thinking that Ambrose on Caddy in a pure shutdown role is the way to go, Caddy is quite strong in the air so a taller opponent that can run with him sounds appealing. Its going to be hard to find good matchups for both Hurley and Hooker as well. Though I do think that if Hooker is left to play on a smaller guy he will take intercept marks all day long.

We may also call on McGrath to play a bit more backline this week, which will give us Saad, McKenna and McGrath to deal with their small forward threats.

Sorry for the intrusion

I’m Absolutely no way I think you guys are a minnow club I enjoy watching the bombers play let’s hope it’s a good game
No intrusion at all.

Provided they add to the discussion and respect the Essendon board rules opposition posters are welcome to post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be happy to go with no changes, everyone played their role well last night & that's what will be required to beat this mob.

Richmond should win and should win comfortably. We’ve been abysmal for much of the year. The last 2 weeks give me some hope we will be half competitive. I fully expect a Richmond to stifle out ball movement again. We really need to do something radically different.

And if Myers is an in I will throw up.

I feel for Myers, he probably trains well and shows good leadership, can play, but all he needed was to string together a couple of great games, i don't think it was that much to ask from an experienced player. He should have no problems wanting to prove himself in the VFL, which every player out of form should be willing to do in my opinion. You select the players that are doing the best.

Crowd will be as big as or bigger than ANZAC Day. Houli and potentially Reiwoldt will be out.

Richmond will be thinking Essendon will be easy beats. They will do all regular tactics including McIntosh belting Merrett and tag him heavily, Grigg being the big tough guy thumping every Don player within range. even Edwards will be running around with cheap snipes.

Tigers will play keepings off with Essendon chasing them especially up back. If they let Tigers get away with this, Essendon players will be stuffed by half time and not run the game out. Every Tiger player needs to be held accountable and not be free for the easy outlet passes.

Cotchin and Martin usually run around doing as they please with no Essendon player making them accountable. Need to make Martin and Cotchin accountable.

If Essendon plays as they have in last 2 weeks, they will trouble the Tigers. Richmond will be surprised by Essendons speed and aggression.

Last edited:
Long for Ridley? Why on earth would we do that? Redman more deserving if anyone but Ridley deserves another game.

There are any number of reasons we might replace Ridley with Long;-

1. Long has been good in the two's and deserves a go
2. Long has been named emergency a few times recently - generally a pretty good indication he'll get a run soon
3. Ridley was Ok against the Giants - but did only have 9 possessions
4. Ridley is a young player - giving him a tatse of senior footy (like Clark), then back to reserves chock full of confidence wont hurt him
5. Longs father will be walking to the ground, he should feel privileged and inspired to play in Dreamtime
6. Its now or never with Long - hes 22 and has been at the club a few years and perfect time to bring him in, whereas Ridley is just 19, has just signed a 2 year deal and has plenty of time to cement himself in the 22

I’d be pretty surprised if we won this, but if we come out and play like we have for the last couple then who knows. I only ask for two things:

1. Laverde and Langford to stay in the team
2. Ambrose to absolutely destroy Caddy in a tackle, Brad Hill style

Outs: Goddard, Dea
Ins: Parish, Redman

Richmond are a quick side and we need a little bit more toe. think Reiwoldt will be out so they'll go in super small.

Please god, no Long. We aren't a charity case.

Why is Goddard out? Mindboggling really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back