Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpire Nicholls got spooked by the bloke in the middle, but I'd be watching out for the guy on the left with the Ted Bundy eyes.

557e53f151a2457eb9d4e351fa86e8b8d1537b24

A boycott protest would be difficult to organise, even if it was having fans leave the stadium for a quarter or a half. To be really effective it would need to involve a TV boycott as well, which would be equally as difficult to arrange. But it would send a strong message.

Integrity Unit spies & spotters, eh?

Can’t catch Cousins doped to the eyeballs.

Can’t convict Essendon even with the inside running from the ACC.

Can’t believe that Melbourne tanked.

But they’ll fix up those campaigners in the cheer squads. They’ve been a scourge for decades!

Cretins.

Welcome to the AFL

Where you can't tackle in the little league
Where there is no "winner" in some little league competitions
Where you are frowned upon for booing flog players
And don't you dare ever insult an umpires intelligence, that's a nelly no no
I kid you not, I went to a game in the SANFL finals 2-3 years ago, It was definitely a souths game as they are my side, Against sturt. One of my fellow south Adelaide mates, who is also a freo supporter, got kicked out for calling an umpire a pea nut.

Yep, this is very week. You think the AFL is bad, The SANFL is much worse.

Might as well Hire Vince russo as the head of the AFL. Watch the ratings skyrocket with an Umpire on a pole match lol

“I’ve been abused in my workplace and you’ve done nothing about it. I’ve now got mental health issues and my situation has lead to a deterioration of my family life. My union will be in touch. ”

It was really only a matter of time before the AFL started cracking down on this sort of thing when you think about it.
Bastardization of the AFL mate. No doubt about it.

Bastardization of the umpires

Barstardzation of the fans.

I think Gil is forgetting that footy is more than a game.
Its theatre too. The tribalism. The barracking. The booing. Its akin to a pantomime. Theres three teams out there. Yours, theirs and the umps.
Now, nobody condones threats of violence, or racist epithets or vile descriptors but harmless gibes have to be permitted.
Where do you draw the line? Is "you idiot" a term worthy of being ejected from the footy?
A common sense approach has to be applied. If the language is of a vile or violent nature then sure, throw em out. AFL once asked umpires to make all sorts of judgement calls on iffy decisions because they empowered them with the ability to size things up and make a decision based on the circumstances presented in front of them. Now we have rules which are ridiculously trying to be concise and cover all angles which are clearly backfiring cos they offer no leeway and they have taken the ability to be judicious away from the umps. Causing further crowd irateness.
I dont blame the umps at all. They have been given a clear edict to follow and toe the AFL's line.
As a governing body of a sport they are woefully immature, insecure and reactive.
And so childishly feeling the need to show society how "progressive" they are when the exact opposite is true.

Absolutely spot on with every word.

Saved me typing out a lengthy post.

Email it to Hammers brother.

Because if this is where we’re headed at matches we might as well go the whole way and have SS style storm troopers patrolling the crowds yanking fans from their seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best bit is posters complaining about the terms used and how they should be outlawed yet then proceed to use the words bogan, knuckle dragger and wait for it...flog, to describe the people they are talking about.

If i cant use the term bald flog then you certainly can't use the term knuckle dragging bogan.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

As someone who works in customer service, I can say that I've seen employees hurt by customer comments, it affects the way they work, their mental health, and can impact the way they go about their life. This type of bullying should be heavily discouraged on all ranges of jobs.

Then taking customer complaint calls is probably not the career for them, just as if you're an umpire you know you're gonna cop some criticism from time to time. Two wrongs or rights is irrelevant.

Whichever way you boil it down and dissect there are always going to be w***ers at the game going overboard with their "criticism" through frustration. Make no mistake the only way to remove them permanently is to remove spectators altogether.

If they keep going down the path of petulance and immature ignorance that's what they'll end up with.

Note to Nicholls: If you're an umpire and occasionally make incorrect decisions then by chance one of these people are in the crowd and you take offence then umpiring is not for you.

Not that it will affect my viewing because I don’t get out of my seat or yell out, but I find the conduct of the AFL hilarious here.

Why not simply come out and say enough with the abuse of umps, or behaviour that is aggressive at the footy, and ask for a better atmosphere.

I note they haven’t gone down the path of making the grounds dry zone and stopping drunks at the gate.

The $$$ are a bridge too far I suspect

"Just move seats"

He said it's a $1000 per season seat, and it was a 74,000 crowd, so moving would've meant moving to shitter seats.

The biggest effort I remember of this kind of thing working, was the "nice Gary" for Lyon in the Boxing day test. They had a FB event and people spreading the word on the day. I would hazard a guess about 8k got involved. Sounded great. 8k making no noise is a less impressive feat. I would bs surprised if more than 10% of football goers are on BF/active FB groups so the outrage here may just be the vocal minority.

There would need to be a catalyst for this to gain legs, these small incidents are good for talk. Next few weeks will be interesting if the AFL keep pushing and spying on cheer squad members and fans in general, s**t can heat up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back