Unofficial Preview Finals Week 1 - 2nd Qualifying Final - Geelong VS Fremantle @ Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Great write up mattis117 I think the only thing you neglected mention was Bartel.

He is probably top 3 in our BnF playing as an mostly attacking lose defender. I think Enright will play a lock down role on either Balla or Walters with Mackie and Bartel roaming. This might be the job for De Boar rather than Enright.

I didn't write that particular section, but I am sure the poster who did will see the praise.
I think you are referring to the post by go_the_dockers

Yep we definitely don't want to let Bartel run free down back like he's been doing this year, that's some luxury for the Cats to have Jimmy Bartel as your loose man (along with Taylor of course).

Alfonz hit the nail on the head for me, Geelong have a lot of good players but their goal kicking mids in Stokes/Motlop/Christensen/Varcoe/Chapman are top shelf and already giving me stomach ulcers.

I'd back our talls to get the job done on a half-baked Hawkins and J-Pod but a bit like us it's their smalls and mids who will likely score the bulk of their goals.

Great write up mattis117 I think the only thing you neglected mention was Bartel.

He is probably top 3 in our BnF playing as an mostly attacking lose defender. I think Enright will play a lock down role on either Balla or Walters with Mackie and Bartel roaming. This might be the job for De Boar rather than Enright.

Thanks, I havent seen a lot of Geelong games this year so was working of the how the back six was named. Yeh de Boer will probably go to Bartel in that case. I will try to update it tomorrow.

losing c.pearce and probably ibbotson with an underdone Mcpharlin spells trouble to a once settled backhalf. especially c.pearce as he adds a real steel and great kicking. expecting realistically a real tough day. we need the whole team up and running and we don't

The H&A Season has been like a movie script to date, however unlike the past where we have starred in Nicholas Cage made for TV specials .....2013 has been an A Grade Blockbuster. We’ve fought back against the odds, been floored by an unlucky punch (or in the Swans game no punch), injuries have not stopped our momentum and we have even seen the drug dealing overlord get his comeuppance.

However don’t eat all the maltesers yet there is still the finale to go ……

Vladfinger said:
‘So Mr Bond, Coach Lyon it has come to this …..’ mutters the evil looking Vlad the fat villain who sits there stroking a mighty happy, comfortable looking and surprisingly mouthy cat.

‘So you want us to lose Vlad?’ said Bondy

‘No Mr Bond I expect you to fly bawahahahaha oh and then play at a substandard regional ground’

No wrap up would be complete without a carefully worded indepth analysis of the last minute, VFL decision to spin a large chocolate wheel regarding finals locations. * you Vlad you silly…..so now that is covered on to the game wrap up.

Freo shouldn’t win, the cards are stacked against us ….Geelong are a very good side – amongst the best and we are playing in the Cattery where no team in the VFL would start favourite....we can't even hope they will take us lightly after the confused look on their scarlet faces last year when we bundled em out.

However there is something special happening at our Football Club and let's face it we are all a little shocked ….we have fought where before we would of laid down, we have gotten supremely fit where before Sir Mix-A-Lot would have been in the house, we have learned to win without our stars, we have structure where before chaos and string theory reigned ....... we have even learned to call Ross Lyon – Coach Lyon thanks to a Yank (actually not a Yank - Our Yank).

All those years of Bigfooty waiting – of hoping Gilmore or Hall would join forces with Pav, Luke and Sandi to give us a half decent squad. Well we have drafted them in Hill & Fyfe, we have found them in Neale, Clarke & Barlow ; we have re-invented them in Duffield, Crawley, Walters & Pearce and some like Mayne, Suban and De Boer have just willed themselves onto the scene.

We've always dreamed our ship would come in ....well I'm not sure but that looks like the Freo Quay ahead. Saturday ain't a flag but it is one small step for a team, one giant leap forward for a club.

A wise poster once said football is about lessons – last season was about finishing in the Top 4. Is this season’s lesson – finish Top 2 or perhaps just perhaps the lesson is our time has come?

Geelong you are an excellent club and it is the highest honour that we will use you to compare how our boys and our system go against the best team in the business. I have no doubt that we will bring it and you going to get a game come hell or highwater, come rain or shine (though I’m guessing sleet) – we want it badly …the only question is do you want it more?

Game will not be won on match ups, though if Crowls is reading – holding Selwood to under 15 possies wont hurt the cause.....this is a gut running, knock em down last man standing affair.

It’s Duck Hunting Season Boys & Girls - announce your arrival on the big stage and in doing so believe in yourself that you belong on the stage. If we win even Memories will be forced to say .....that was an OK win.

I don’t know why – Freo by 21

Umpires are: Matt Stevic, Shane McInerney, Troy Pannell. According to Derek Humphries-Smith on SEN just now.

NOOOOO.gif.

Of course we cop the Mike Whitney look a like, this guy is ridiculously susceptible to home crowd umpiring and paying soft frees in the forward 50. Attention whore in the Chamberlain mould, FML.

NOOOOO.gif.

Of course we cop the Mike Whitney look a like, this guy is ridiculously susceptible to home crowd umpiring and paying soft frees in the forward 50. Attention whore in the Chamberlain mould, FML.

Checks umpiring criteria ......It ain't Margettes

I'm fine.

losing c.pearce and probably ibbotson with an underdone Mcpharlin spells trouble to a once settled backhalf. especially c.pearce as he adds a real steel and great kicking. expecting realistically a real tough day. we need the whole team up and running and we don't

All 3 of them out spell danger - getting Macca back should be enough for us to get over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting nervous, like never before.
Was feeling comfortable until vlad stitched us up.
I will be fuming if we lose at simmonds.
Hope it just steels the boys and fires there bellys.
Go freo.

The H&A Season has been like a movie script to date, however unlike the past where we have starred in Nicholas Cage made for TV specials .....2013 has been an A Grade Blockbuster. We’ve fought back against the odds, been floored by an unlucky punch (or in the Swans game no punch), injuries have not stopped our momentum and we have even seen the drug dealing overlord get his comeuppance.

However don’t eat all the maltesers yet there is still the finale to go ……

No wrap up would be complete without a carefully worded indepth analysis of the last minute, VFL decision to spin a large chocolate wheel regarding finals locations. **** you Vlad you silly…..so now that is covered on to the game wrap up.

Freo shouldn’t win, the cards are stacked against us ….Geelong are a very good side – amongst the best and we are playing in the Cattery where no team in the VFL would start favourite....we can't even hope they will take us lightly after the confused look on their scarlet faces last year when we bundled em out.

However there is something special happening at our Football Club and let's face it we are all a little shocked ….we have fought where before we would of laid down, we have gotten supremely fit where before Sir Mix-A-Lot would have been in the house, we have learned to win without our stars, we have structure where before chaos and string theory reigned ....... we have even learned to call Ross Lyon – Coach Lyon thanks to a Yank (actually not a Yank - Our Yank).

All those years of Bigfooty waiting – of hoping Gilmore or Hall would join forces with Pav, Luke and Sandi to give us a half decent squad. Well we have drafted them in Hill & Fyfe, we have found them in Neale, Clarke & Barlow ; we have re-invented them in Duffield, Crawley, Walters & Pearce and some like Mayne, Suban and De Boer have just willed themselves onto the scene.

We've always dreamed our ship would come in ....well I'm not sure but that looks like the Freo Quay ahead. Saturday ain't a flag but it is one small step for a team, one giant leap forward for a club.

A wise poster once said football is about lessons – last season was about finishing in the Top 4. Is this season’s lesson – finish Top 2 or perhaps just perhaps the lesson is our time has come?

Geelong you are an excellent club and it is the highest honour that we will use you to compare how our boys and our system go against the best team in the business. I have no doubt that we will bring it and you going to get a game come hell or highwater, come rain or shine (though I’m guessing sleet) – we want it badly …the only question is do you want it more?

Game will not be won on match ups, though if Crowls is reading – holding Selwood to under 15 possies wont hurt the cause.....this is a gut running, knock em down last man standing affair.

It’s Duck Hunting Season Boys & Girls - announce your arrival on the big stage and in doing so believe in yourself that you belong on the stage. If we win even Memories will be forced to say .....that was an OK win.

I don’t know why – Freo by 21

Nice write-up.

I know we are gunna give this enormous shake.

Great write ups guys - you've certainly done your research on us.

Our selection issues this week are:

West v Vardy - West served as our number one ruck last year and this year until he was overtaken by Simpson (who is now injured). Vardy is younger, more talented and more inconsistent. Assuming Blicavs keeps his spot and there's nothing to suggest he won't, we have to choose between West and Vardy as our other ruck option.

Taylor Hunt - our tagger had a great start to the year before breaking his collarbone and missing a couple of months. His form since then has been fairly average and he was dropped before getting a reprieve on the weekend with Guthrie a late withdrawal. Hunt did the job on Hill earlier this year, so it'll be interesting to see if they back him this week or whether he's back to the VFL.

Josh Hunt v Jared Rivers - we can't fit both into our 22. Hunt was unfortunately squeezed out despite very good form this season and has plenty of finals experience (2x premiership player). Rivers is solid and allows Taylor to play forward more often. Hunt seems more required this week to guard Walters or Ballantyne but Scott is a big Rivers fan.

Hawkins - his back injury has debilitated him to the point where he can't lead or jump. He's still our leading goal kicker but has had a terrible month - a shadow of the player who was AA and won our B&F last year. Some Cats fans want him dropped - I can't see it since they've stuck with him all year when he's obviously unfit.

Wasn't sure where to post this but good luck this week, I know a lot won't give you guys a chance but I have a lot of faith that Freo can win this one as long as they play it smart and not bomb it long to geelong talls advantage and use your big weapon which is your 2 gun smalls as main avenue to goal. Hawkins is a liability at moment as he can't even bend over, capitalise on these things and if Crowley can do a job on Selwood and you guys will be heading for a home prelim and likely first grand final (while boosting my pockets as I have backed Freo to make grand final :) )

Head to Head:

Previous Results: (Gee: WWLLW, Fre: LLWWL)
R14 2013, Simonds Stadium, Geel 11.19 (85) def Frem 7.2 (44)
EF 2012, MCG, Frem 14.12 (96) def Geel 11.14 (80)
R1 2012, Patersons Stadium, Frem 16.9 (105) def Geel 15.11 (101)
R2 2011, Patersons Stadium, Geel 13.11 (89) def Frem 10.18 (78)
SF 2010, MCG, Geel 20.15 (135) def Frem 10.6 (66)

“The Rematch”:

When last the Fremantle Dockers met Geelong at Simonds Stadium it was in round 14 of the 2013 Home & Away season. Geelong, reeling from their shock defeat at the hands of Brisbane in round13 were keen to show they were still a force to be reckoned with. Fremantle were looking to consolidate a position in the top 4 and stamp themselves as genuine contenders for the flag, with another high profile scalp. It was also to be the first time the two teams had met since Fremantle won an emphatic victory in the second elimination final of the 2012 finals series, ending the then reigning premiers’ campaign and signalling their intentions under new coach Ross Lyon.

The stage set for an epic rematch, but the players were not quite set to reprise their roles from the previous encounter. Steve Johnson was suspended, creating an odd precedent of match suspensions in games against Fremantle. On the Fremantle side midfield prodigy Michael Barlow was sidelined with a jaw injury and defensive cog Lee Spurr was omitted with what was later revealed to be illness. Fremantle also had the freshness of youth in the side with 2 players having made their debut the week prior (Matt Taberner and Tom Sheridan) and Viv Michie, after being announced as the replacement for Lee Spurr, would make his long awaited debut as Substitute.

From the get-go the Dockers appeared unable to cope with the frantic Geelong pressure, and indeed it seemed that the tables had been turned. Fremantle, renowned for their own defensive efforts (ranked #1 in the competition) under Ross Lyon would record only their 4th goalless quarter for the 2013 season, finishing with only 2 behinds to match Geelong’s 3.4.22.

The Dockers responded after quarter time, managing to get back in to the game and closing the margin to only 10 points at half-time. Could the Dockers repeat the offensive effort of the Lions from the week before? Alas, it was not to be with Geelong firmly closing the doors and restricting Fremantle to a completely scoreless quarter (their 5th goalless for the year) and recording only one Inside 50. Yet, inaccuracy at the goal-face from Geelong would see the margin only increase to 32 points (the Cats having kicked 2.9 for the quarter) seemed to provide the faintest glimmer of hope to the visiting side. A hope that was not to be realised, as Geelong corrected their accuracy, pushed down the pedal and would run on cruise control to a 41 point victory.

It would prove to be the Dockers lowest score since Round 9, 2012 – a game which itself lives in infamy as the first Western Derby under Ross Lyon. Perhaps the biggest positive from the match was the continued form of Ryan "The Human Glove" Crowley who kept Joel Selwood to nearly half his usual output, at 13 disposals (season avg 25). The Cats, who themselves had been considered defensively poor would concede less than 50 points for the first time since Round 5, 2012 incidentally then against the Brisbane Lions as well. Geelong will enter this match with similar form, having played Brisbane the week prior in Round 23 but only managing to record a 1 point victory, while the Fremantle side will enter with a refreshed outlook having omitted half the team - albeit at the cost of a loss to St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back