First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It certainly is utterly bizarre.

Collingwood-Logo.png

Their 1892 birth is right there as a central part of the brand, yet they pretend 1896 didn't exist.

I bet these blokes would be just stoked to know their own club has wiped them from their history.

1024px-Collingwoodfc.JPG

It certainly is utterly bizarre.

Collingwood-Logo.png

Their 1892 birth is right there as a central part of the brand, yet they pretend 1896 didn't exist.

I bet these blokes would be just stoked to know their own club has wiped them from their history.

1024px-Collingwoodfc.JPG

What an odd take.

CFC could’ve been established at the time of Jesus and reflected as so in their emblem. Doesn’t mean they add a VFA premiership to their list of VFL/AFL premiership list.

If anything, I take pride in them not pretending VFA/SANFL/WAFL or any other flag should be counted as a VFL/AFL flag.

You’ve made such a weird post.

What an odd take.

CFC could’ve been established at the time of Jesus and reflected as so in their emblem. Doesn’t mean they add a VFA premiership to their list of VFL/AFL premiership list.

If anything, I take pride in them not pretending VFA/SANFL/WAFL or any other flag should be counted as a VFL/AFL flag.

Very weird take on it all but probably not in top 100 dumb posts I've read since Saturday

What an odd take.

Collingwood and Geelong both have 17 premierships.
Who gets to number 18 first?
Very weird take on it all but probably not in top 100 dumb posts I've read since Saturday
Needs more Essendon 1891-1894 four peat.

1896 Teams: Coll, SM, Ess, Fitz, Melb, NM, Foots, St.K, Geelong, Carl, Rich, Port Melb, Will.

Of which 3 of these NM, Foots & Rich would go on to rejoin the others in the VFL. So only Port Melb & Williamstown remained excluded.
Probably 90% of the players for the 1897 breakaway teams went with their team from VFA to VFL. 1896 even had a Grand Final so the difference between Collingwood's 1896 VFA Premiership & 1897 VFL Premiership would be minimal. Mostly the same players and mostly the same opponents.

What an odd take.

It’s not odd in the slightest.

It’s largely a conversation between clubs that all played against each other in the VFA before they broke away to the VFL.

Of course it’s relevant. Collingwood already have 17 flags.

What’s totally odd is they don’t recognise it.

It is. Why didn’t you have us on 16 premierships last week and for the last 12 years? How come now we jumped from 15 to 17 in your views?

It’s largely a conversation between clubs that all played against each other in the VFA before they broke away to the VFL.

Well technically, going by your logic, we’re actually on 18 as we won the 2011 preseason cup. We should include that too since all clubs played against each other then too.

I must admit this is turning into one of the more strange subliminal melts I've heard this week. All Essendon and Carlton have done for the past 20 years is windmill their dicks about how they're the only ones with 16 flags. Could of given us the heads up earlier so we could of joined in and had a group windmilling? Anyway, since were now actually on 17 you guys probably dont need to bother and we can end the thread. :cool:

AFL premierships will be long time till any club gets to 17. Let’s get one to 10 first

Hawthorn 5
West Coast 4
Geelong 4
Collingwood 3
Brisbane 3
Richmond 3
Essendon 2
North Melbourne 2
Adelaide 2
Sydney 2
Port 1
Bulldogs 1
Melbourne 1
Carlton 1

Carlton and Collingwood are now essentially equal odds in the bookies for the 2024 flag, so you'd have to say one of those 2 clubs.

Essendon are still trying to win a final, let alone a premiership.

Dunno. You struggled against the Tigers...

It was only last year that you were trying to break a 10 year streak of not making the finals let alone winning one. Calm your nuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Collingwood vs Carlton first to 17 bragging rights GF is looking less likely. I think Carlton the more likely to surge ahead first now. Its like when Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were all on 20 slams. We were denied such a grand slam final decider.

Dunno. You struggled against the Tigers...

It was only last year that you were trying to break a 10 year streak of not making the finals let alone winning one. Calm your nuts.

Tigers hadn’t won a final for 16 years coming into 2017 and won a flag.

Dees had one year in the 8 in 2018, won 2 finals, dropped away 2019/20 then won a flag in 2021.

Not everything follows a linear path. We could win the flag this year, we could miss the 8. What happened in previous years won’t have much impact.

That Collingwood vs Carlton first to 17 bragging rights GF is looking less likely. I think Carlton the more likely to surge ahead first now. Its like when Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were all on 20 slams. We were denied such a grand slam final decider.

A lot of sides in the comp now, soon to be 19. Flags bloody hard to win, we could be right in the mix for the rest of the decade and not win one.

Pies maximised their opportunity, so even if the finish last this year (they won’t) they have achieved something most clubs would give almost anything for.

A lot of sides in the comp now, soon to be 19. Flags bloody hard to win, we could be right in the mix for the rest of the decade and not win one.

Pies maximised their opportunity, so even if the finish last this year (they won’t) they have achieved something most clubs would give almost anything for.
Spot on. That's why I'm at ease with our current predicament.

Back