briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I think any sport where you are competing internationally to make a living is going to be more challenging compared to domestic sport in Australia. Obviously the potential rewards are much greater but so is the competition. I mean, there are something like 25 million golfers in the US alone.

It would be interesting to know how many Aussies play tournament golf and make a good living. Obviously, the top of the pyramid has the likes of Scott, Day, Smith, Leishman etc. But there are more players on a second tier in the US and then still more making money in Europe, Japan, China etc. And there are probably less Aussie kids trying to make it as a golfer than an AFL player.

The thing with being a golfer is that, sponsorship money aside, you have to play well to be paid. Huge risk in that.
How many of those 25 million golfers are actually professionals?

Because that’s something like 1 in every 16 Americans play golf, if the total American population is 400 million.

martinson

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Because that’s something like 1 in every 16 Americans play golf, if the total American population is 400 million.
Also consider the number of children in that population , the disadvantaged and millions of others who have no access. Probably takes it down to 1 in 8. Which just couldn't be right these days.

Dalions

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Plenty of weekend hackers in that lot.

M Malice

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
As an aside, my favourite Aussie golfer right now is definitely Cam Smith. He's ranked 23 in the world atm, chalked up a lazy US$5.8Million last year in earnings.
I don't follow golf at all, but that's bloody impressive from Cam Smith to be that highly ranked only a year out from retirement at the Melbourne Storm, kudos to him.

Hollow Knight

Imperfect vessel
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Either I just saw former Lion Scott Harding in an Ice Break commercial or it was his absolute doppelgänger.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think any sport where you are competing internationally to make a living is going to be more challenging compared to domestic sport in Australia. Obviously the potential rewards are much greater but so is the competition. I mean, there are something like 25 million golfers in the US alone.

It would be interesting to know how many Aussies play tournament golf and make a good living. Obviously, the top of the pyramid has the likes of Scott, Day, Smith, Leishman etc. But there are more players on a second tier in the US and then still more making money in Europe, Japan, China etc. And there are probably less Aussie kids trying to make it as a golfer than an AFL player.

The thing with being a golfer is that, sponsorship money aside, you have to play well to be paid. Huge risk in that.

I reckon he & his family will have a fair idea where he's at with both sports. Aside from the financial side & earning windows it also centres around what he gets the most enjoyment out of.

I have no idea about his golfing ability, but if he's shown serious potential he'll have a pathway laid out for him & it's not a one in 25 million shot he's taking. I recall when I was heavily into golf back in the mid 2000's, Jason Day was being groomed as a teenager in a similar way. The people who pick talent knew he wasn't just going to be making up the numbers.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Parents would also factor in the potential for serious injury/concussion ETC. One serious injury in AFL and your career could be over. Not much chance of serious injury shuffling around a golf course. Minor manageable injuries like golfers elbow or back pain perhaps

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Parents would also factor in the potential for serious injury/concussion ETC. One serious injury in AFL and your career could be over. Not much chance of serious injury shuffling around a golf course. Minor manageable injuries like golfers elbow or back pain perhaps

True, but not sure how much it matters what the parents are factoring in. Cast your mind back to what you were like as a kid. Could you be told? I know I couldn't lol. If his heart is set on AFL it will happen.

Edit: I don't have kids. No plans to have kids atm either. But if I do have kids, the sports they are going to be playing are Tennis & Golf.

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
But if I do have kids, the sports they are going to be playing are Tennis & Golf.
How dare you decide on such dangerous sports for your future kids I say, you should be getting them into the art of Lawn Bowls instead young man :p

Last edited:

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Sure, you'd think so, but get started in golf, make millions, and then BAM, car crash, and then work your way back, BAM, another car crash. Statistically you're guaranteed to have a career altering care crash if you win at least 15 majors!

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Sure, you'd think so, but get started in golf, make millions, and then BAM, car crash, and then work your way back, BAM, another car crash. Statistically you're guaranteed to have a career altering care crash if you win at least 15 majors!
But you also get to have lots of messy extramarital affair’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gadzorks

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Will always remember his accolade speech after the miracle on grass game. Simon black also hit a record and gave an on field speech after game. Ash, who had just kicked the winning goal, followed him and simply said 'what he said'. Referring to Black's speech.

What a humble champion.

Kicking the game winner after the siren in that game on that night was such a beautiful tribute to a great player.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I was more on the Usman train for the number 5 spot, but couldn't be happier for Trav. You don't get a more important innings to make a ton than the first innings of the first test match of an Ashes series.
I really hope Khawaja's cards aren't marked already, really like watching him play. As a South Australian I'm stoked both Head and Carey made the team though. Uzzy to open in the place of Harris next game for me.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really hope Khawaja's cards aren't marked already, really like watching him play. As a South Australian I'm stoked both Head and Carey made the team though. Uzzy to open in the place of Harris next game for me.

Harris got a great ball. As an opener you're gonna get those time to time. I'd like to see Uzzy open, but wouldn't like to see Harris dropped just yet. Let's see how the second innings goes (hopefully we don't have one). :D

Back in the day I was super excited about Travis Head, I thought he was looking like being the next #3, our next Ricky Ponting (who I idolize), that was back early in the big bash days before he made any Australian team. Have been a little disappointed in his test career to date, not putting a high enough price on his wicket, to the extent that I thought Uzzy would be a better number 5 for this series. Today was sublime, was a subdued start for the first 30 or so balls, but after that his innings acceleration was amazing, and without too much fuss or risk either. Very happy for him, a big moment in his career.

POBT

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 10, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Harris got a great ball. As an opener you're gonna get those time to time.
It happens to Harris an awful lot though in that channel around off stump. I don't think he really knows where his stumps are and I think he plays with the face of the bat open too much. I definitely wouldn't drop him on one innings but I don't think we can overlook the fact that he gets out the same way, particularly when the ball is moving a little. It was the reason he was dropped last time and he needs to prove he has a plan to survive - hopefully he does because we need to find our next generation of openers pretty soon.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It happens to Harris an awful lot though in that channel around off stump. I don't think he really knows where his stumps are and I think he plays with the face of the bat open too much. I definitely wouldn't drop him on one innings but I don't think we can overlook the fact that he gets out the same way, particularly when the ball is moving a little. It was the reason he was dropped last time and he needs to prove he has a plan to survive - hopefully he does because we need to find our next generation of openers pretty soon.

I think he's already too old to be considered as a next generation opener. Wish Renshaw had of come on after he got a chance. If Pucovski overcomes his concussion symptoms, he'll take the openers spot opposite Warner, but we still need to replace Warner in the next couple of years.

BuntonRules

long term substance abuser
Dec 30, 2008
in front of the telly
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Whitsunday SeaEagles
I think he's already too old to be considered as a next generation opener. Wish Renshaw had of come on after he got a chance. If Pucovski overcomes his concussion symptoms, he'll take the openers spot opposite Warner, but we still need to replace Warner in the next couple of years.

It is negligence if they lf Puck play again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad