Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

The lesson kiddies is if anyone asks you to sign a waiver (Ala Essendon or Crows) get worried.

“I think the playing group lost a bit of trust with the footy department. Obviously a lot of details we weren’t allowed to know going into the camp, we all had to sign waivers just to say we can’t speak about it after."

Was really bored and read a league article - only the first bit about changing a rule so the a field goal is worth two points if it’s kicked from more than 40m out.

explains why Daniel rich was running a training session on kicking last week. Can’t even remember which team, but they did bring in the best.

Was really bored and read a league article - only the first bit about changing a rule so the a field goal is worth two points if it’s kicked from more than 40m out.

explains why Daniel rich was running a training session on kicking last week. Can’t even remember which team, but they did bring in the best.
A field goal comes from a drop kick yeah?
Would Daniel Rich know how to kick a good drop kick?
There is an art to it, and something he would not be used to doing.
Not saying he couldn’t do it though.

The local fashion industry.

tenor.gif

I also follow the NRL, my side was disappointing this year (no not Broncos). I think the rule change is a good one and yes it takes skill to kick a drop kick (field goal) over 40 meters. I actually wish they would get rid of 'golden point' or make it, that you have to kick the field goal from outside the 40, because currently the extra time becomes a game of yardage to take a field goal (usually within 30m). There have been some good changes made by the NRL of late, minimising scrums, another set of six for infringements as opposed to stopping the game for a penalty, mandatory replacement (interchange) of a player when the trainer has asked the ref to stop the game (this was being exploited), game becoming more of a spectacle, with a better balance of attack and defence.
The AFL could also look at further changes to stop the congestion.

I used to watch NRL and the Broncos in the late 90s to late 00s. I stopped watching and switched to the Lions because of how bogged down and boring NRL was. I would have gotten into the free-flowing nature of union if it weren't exclusively on Foxtel. I think this maneuvers by the NRL has gotten me interested in watching league again. I did watch the occasional Friday night match and found the 6-again rule really effective at keeping the game moving. I could definitely see myself jumping in to support a new Brisbane franchise (particularly if its based alone the southside of Brisbane).

I think the NRL shows that AFL traditionalists (particularly those in Victoria) need to get off their high horse and look at change. Stagnation is what will end up killing this game. I welcome the AFL planned review. I dont understand how much angst there was for something as innocuous as moving the GF to a twilight time slot. The entertainment was a lot better and my parents (who never watch the AFL) actually spent time watching the entertainment and half time shows. Any innovation is bemoaned as an "Americanism" as though that in itself is a strong argument against change. I think the rolling fixture could be brilliant. I was so sick of seeing pathetic Carlton Friday night matches because some idiot thought they would miraculously rise up in 2018. Maybe we will get to see some off-Broadway teams like the Saints on primetime. I look forward to the zones experiment. In one way it will limit innovation (aka the rolling scrum/flood of death that has plagued this game for the past 2-3 decades). In another way it will be interesting to see how teams adapt to having 3 in the 50m arcs at all times. On the other hand it will mean the role of flankers/wingers will change forever. They will need to adapt to cover so much space. Ball movement will have to adapt. Forwards will have to adapt to create space with their leads. I hope they show some of these NEA/VFL games on youtube etc to see how teams creatively utilise these new restrictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to watch NRL and the Broncos in the late 90s to late 00s. I stopped watching and switched to the Lions because of how bogged down and boring NRL was. I would have gotten into the free-flowing nature of union if it weren't exclusively on Foxtel. I think this maneuvers by the NRL has gotten me interested in watching league again. I did watch the occasional Friday night match and found the 6-again rule really effective at keeping the game moving. I could definitely see myself jumping in to support a new Brisbane franchise (particularly if its based alone the southside of Brisbane).

I think the NRL shows that AFL traditionalists (particularly those in Victoria) need to get off their high horse and look at change. Stagnation is what will end up killing this game. I welcome the AFL planned review. I dont understand how much angst there was for something as innocuous as moving the GF to a twilight time slot. The entertainment was a lot better and my parents (who never watch the AFL) actually spent time watching the entertainment and half time shows. Any innovation is bemoaned as an "Americanism" as though that in itself is a strong argument against change. I think the rolling fixture could be brilliant. I was so sick of seeing pathetic Carlton Friday night matches because some idiot thought they would miraculously rise up in 2018. Maybe we will get to see some off-Broadway teams like the Saints on primetime. I look forward to the zones experiment. In one way it will limit innovation (aka the rolling scrum/flood of death that has plagued this game for the past 2-3 decades). In another way it will be interesting to see how teams adapt to having 3 in the 50m arcs at all times. On the other hand it will mean the role of flankers/wingers will change forever. They will need to adapt to cover so much space. Ball movement will have to adapt. Forwards will have to adapt to create space with their leads. I hope they show some of these NEA/VFL games on youtube etc to see how teams creatively utilise these new restrictions.
Good informative post, and yes AFL does needs to innovate, just a couple of things. NRL boss Peter V'landys has shown he is not scared of innovation. Took Melbourne spring carnival on with races such as the Everest, he also got the NRL up and going while commentators within the AFL media etc were scoffing at his May start for the NRL. Your analysis might explain why speculated on a superb runner in this years draft.

I have no idea what it is just figured if you want to kick long and accurate Dan’s the man.

I like your comment about prime time games changing but it’s still going to mean fans, like the 17 ticket holders in our group, are going to get annoyed about ability to plan events in advance. We all have other family members that don’t share our obsession and already roll their eyes when we ask them see if they can work around the set draw.

Be interesting to see if it’s a winner, or if we whingers carry the day.

On congestion, the only absolute way of fixing it is to either make the grounds larger, or reduce the number of players. Have wondered if the list size reductions could eventually lead to the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back