Autopsy Freo Down Hawks by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone particularly confident about beating the Crows next week? Our mids need to absolutely dominate with the absence of Sloane to make up for the 20 behinds we will inevitably kick

Great to see the engine room both harden up and tighten up in the last quarter. Deserved winners - but it could be so much better. Kind of a hollow feeling.

If I ever see Hughes on a footy field in purple again - I won't be held responsible for my actions!

So many positives to work with.

Brayshaw worked his way through a hard tag and the midfield group stood up when challenged. Cerra flew under the radar a bit but put together a really good game and was good by foot. Mundy was fantastic. Serong’s hands just improve our field position and find us time and space consistently. This young midfield complement one another beautifully. They got beat up in the second quarter but Hawthorn’s mids are no mugs. Responded beautifully.

Heath Chapman. Wow. What a star.

Treacy’s aggression was on show from the start. He really started to straighten us up in the second half and his hands are very strong. I really think he will be a very good player for us very soon.

Colyer turned the game on its head. His dash broke lines and got us some deep entries in the second half.

Darcy as a forward can work when we’ve got another two genuine forwards taking the two best KPDs. His ruck work late was dominant. He better stay because he is a vital part of that midfield group.

I’m not worried about the inaccuracy because Fyfe was really the only serious culprit. 6 shots on goal is a pretty good return but at the same time a wasted opportunity.

Adelaide and North next. We need to carry this form and hit the derby running.

Random thoughts:

- Fyfe needs to play midfield. As others have mentioned he's the reverse Pav where he's a superstar mid and only a good forward. And if we didn't need anymore evidence, today reminded us that goal kicking is not his strong suit.

- All memes aside, Mundy is actually ageless. Anyone even hinting that he shouldn't play on next year is looking purely at numbers on his birth certificate and not what's happening on the field. Somehow he's still one of our best players, and that's not even a knock on our youngsters. I actually feel like this is the best form he's been in for quite a few years.

- Treacy is raw but we need to keep playing him. If Brayshaw and Cerra were worth pumping games into then an aggressive KPP with a strong mark and a laser boot (today's shot notwithstanding) certainly is.

- Chapman is a different kind of raw in that the pace of AFL still catches him out occasionally but you can see he oozes class that will translate to this level. An inspired pick.

- Speaking of inspired picks, Freddy's draft highlights vid made him look like a top 10 and I'm stoked to see that translating to AFL level. Likewise, Serong continues to look all class.

- I liked the toughness Wilson displayed at times today. That's been my knock on him in the past.

- I'm happy to keep playing Meek and continuing to give Darcy significant stints up forward. I like him up forward more than Fyfe.

- Of the escaped goats:
- Acres: nup, still don't see it. Want him out as soon as the reinforcements arrive.
- Colyer: was ready to banish him to the WAFL for life after that f*ck up before HT, but credit where it's due, he was influential in the 2nd half. He'll need to keep playing like that for me to be happy to see him in the team though.
- Hughes: always been a fan and thought he was very good other than his occasional stuff-ups. I think he brings a lot to the team and I'm never unhappy to see his name on the sheet.

- Finally, can I just say I f*cking hate Hawthorn. The last time I barracked for them in a non-eagles game was 2008 and their fans repaid me by being the most arrogant premiership winners I'd ever seen on bigfooty - including eagles fans. It would take a decade before Richmond fans would finally take that throne from them. I hated Hawthorn when they were good and I hate them now they're not. This current team is a particularly unlikeable bunch of mercenaries who ran out on their original teams chasing soft success and I will savour every win we have over them.

My take:

Treacy was very active in his first game. He's a big body yet quick so he was able to have an impact despite not goaling. Can't see why he gets dropped.

Great to see Sturt survive to the end. That's all I wanted to see from him, at minimum. He'll be better for the run.

Darcy again made me think of Sav Rocca. When the midfield is on, he's a good target up forward. Has to be delivered to him the correct way.

Colyer was influential again. I know we're trying to work these guys out of our list but he showed a bit. Maybe give a one year extension.

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

+
- Particularly after last week, just the fact that we were challenged and stood our ground.
- Brayshaw's step-up in the second half while under a load of pressure. Broke them open in the last (along with Serong.)
- Treacy definitely belongs, the goals will come. The difference with him as the high marking forward (rather than Tabs running 70+m up the ground) was immense.
- Darcy up forward ... works?
- Chappy (while still clearly a bit nervous) was excellent.
- Mundy (that's it, that's the positive.)

-
- Nothing but goalkicking and tackling drills this week, please. Get Bowers in to kick the s**t out of them on tackling technique.
- I thought Hughes started really well, but crumbled when the pressure ramped up. Logue in next week please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Chapman is the new Michael Johnson.
2. Loved Tracey solid marking, strong body and passion to hurt people. Defensively he is a monster.
3. Serong is so clever in tight.
4. Poor Hughes. Better for him to stay away from the ball.
5. Like a broken record we can't play both Conca and Hughes in the same team.
6. The young Mundy will be great in 10 years.
7. Need to reduce the role players. Yes, I respect glue players but we have too much glue and not enough polished wood.
8. Frederick is good and Jiath was better.
9. Sturt didn't do much but his mark and goal was classy as. Have patience, his fitness and touch will get better.
10. Fyfe is not a forward, you need to kick straight.
11. Darcy was great forward with his marking. Needs to kick straight.
12. Umpires seem to give us frees when we have control of the ball or its in non dangerous position.
13. Hawthorn seem to soccer the grounded contested ball rather than getting caught straight away.
14. Dingley Village snipers.
15. We are missing one key back.

I hope JLo shows Walters those two back-to-back contests in the last qtr.

One where he threw himself to ground and removed himself from the play (even though I actually think he was held - a lot more than some of the bullshit they gave Carlton last week anyway), followed by him crunching in and actually hurting that Hawks player in a 50/50. That's the Walters we need, not the sooky lightweight playing up to the umps every contest.

Glad Harry McKay wasn't out there today , good on you Colyer fair chance we drop that if he didn't spark us up in the 2nd half

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Awesome win, the boys played like they knew we could not afford to drop this one.

Darcy, Lobb, Taberner, Treacy. That's the KPF rotation once Lobb is healthy. Rotating Fyfe through there makes the opposition think twice about double-teaming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back