Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably number two in the time I've been watching. What's most impressive is he's been doing it at a high level for well over a decade now. Still think Carey was better though.

I am not saying he would haven missed out much, but there were probably 2 or 3 years in his AA selections where he was not in the top 5 or so midfielders in that group.

2007 - rover
2008 - rover
2009 - rover
2010 - rover (VC)
2011 - rover (C)
2012 - rover (VC)
2013 - rover (VC)
2014 - rover

Picked as first rover every time. Not jammed in a pocket or on a flank or on the bench, starting 18 each time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mindboggling stuff. His goals per game when he moved permanently to FF was simply sublime.
Play there his whole career and 1400+ goals was not out of the question.

Kicked big bags off the wing, even half back.
Matthews and Carey. LOL

Are we just getting a bit carried away after a great game? Lance Franklin has some remarkable statistics also. Was Franklin discussed as the best player ever after breaking another goal kicking record?

In my opinion I reckon Franklin is better, I think for a modern player to kick 100 and to have a goal kicking tally like he does is remarkable. AA Captain last year. I think if Ablett won a flag this year and got a Norm Smith then it would elevate him hugely, but in my opinion Lance is the best ever and there are a few above GAJ.

Last edited:
Gary Ablett Senior was also better than junior I’d say. I’ve seen some incredible players, and I reckon Lockett is right up there in discussion also. If I personally had to pick 5 I’d go;
Franklin
Ablett Snr
Matthews
Lockett
Carey

I just think Lockett for what he achieved was absolutely amazing. I look at a basic footy talent today at kicking goals and it’s the most important element of the game. Lockett was the best ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back