Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him, colour me impressed. I don't remember knocking him for the front-loaded angle but he's definitely going out of his way to make this work.
Think I've confused this thread with the one that got locked on the mainboard, but some of the filth being spewed towards him on there was ridiculous.

After another 3 years of football let us know if Buddy wanted to come back and what you would pay for him?

If we were in flag contention, he still was in fine A-grade form and he filled a need I wouldn't be against paying an end of first round pick for him.

If we were in flag contention, he still was in fine A-grade form and he filled a need I wouldn't be against paying an end of first round pick for him.

Would you change your mind if he had not managed to play more than 15 games in a season for the last four years, and finished last season injured?

The finals dreams are nice but his body would need to be good enough to stand up to the toughness of finals football. Come finals, if there was any reasonable risk of reinjury, it would be a risk to play him.

I like how a lot of the commentary by journos is saying that the deal will be 35+Lang or 19/23 outright if a player can't be found.

Surely any cash payment from Geelong whether direct or through Ablett would be considered a transfer fee and therefore not allowed.

Surely any cash payment from Geelong whether direct or through Ablett would be considered a transfer fee and therefore not allowed.
Most of the players receive lump sums at the end of each contract year (Oct 31) so if GAJ forfeits his lump sum this year, which may well be the reported 300k then it's not really considered a payment, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it working like this?

- Ablett gets paid unders in 2018
- that unders that Geelong saved goes in to Lang's salary
- GC therefore save on Lang's salary

I'd go with more likely than not at this stage too.

I have no doubt that both clubs in good faith are resigned to Gary moving back to Geelong, however on more than one occassion when it's looked like both parties could get the deal done that their plans have back-flipped with Darcy Lang being the last fly in the oinment. Prior to deadline, one way or another this deal will get done and let's hope for all parties concerned it's a equitable one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back