Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't blame Geelong in this, try to get him for nothing. It's the 'family' reason that is a convenient truth and not the primary reason imo. If family was #1, I'd look at all options, not just option 1

He's not looking at one option. He's looking at two; retire or play at Geelong. He knows 100% he can get one of those options but he should consider a 3rd option of playing for a Melbourne team.....why? To placate big footy?

Last edited:
As someone who lives in Melbourne and has family in Geelong I can tell you it's actually a pain in the arse to get down to visit the parents midweek and lets not forget footballers work weekends.
Live in Geelong and travel up each day...reckon he can afford the petrol

Live in Geelong and travel up each day...reckon he can afford the petrol
You have no clue. None whatsoever.
The only club where it'd be remotely possible is the Dogs as they're out in the west, all the other clubs the travel commute to training would be a nightmare.

Be honest, you haven't tried to cross the Westgate in peak hour for more than a decade, have you.
Probably only drive it 6 or so times a year for work (not living in Melbourne). It's like saying that all the GWS blokes live near Paramatta

Pick 20.

Again, the picks GC already hold have no bearing on the deal for Ablett. Having five other picks in the top 35 doesn't make the deal for Ablett any better or worse.

I can't agree - it can make a big difference.

Pick 20 would be GC's 3rd pick, whereas Pick 34 would be their 6th pick and pick 54 would be their 7th pick - picks they may not even use.

Pick 34 is more valuable to a club like say Hawthorn whose 1st pick is 32 than to GC at their 6th pick.

As someone who lives in Melbourne and has family in Geelong I can tell you it's actually a pain in the arse to get down to visit the parents midweek and lets not forget footballers work weekends.

As someone who lives in Geelong and traveled up to Keysborough every Sunday to play and didn't get paid a cent for doing it I think you'd be pretty weak to use an hours travel as an excuse when you're getting paid so much.

As someone who lives in Geelong and traveled up to Keysborough every Sunday to play and didn't get paid a cent for doing it I think you'd be pretty weak to use an hours travel as an excuse when you're getting paid so much.

Once a week isn't the same as every day. But I still wouldn't do what you did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a crime, simply Ablett is a disingenuous turd who doesn't deserve any favours from GCS.

Thus the majority have zero sympathy or empathy for him.

Who cares what the majority think?

They either get him where he wants to go or he retires. Simple stuff.
One way they get something in return, the other they don't. I wonder if they're stupid enough to choose the latter.

Hopefully retirement then.

You should apply for Ashcroft's Footy Ops boss at the Suns with that attitude. Get nothing, wise move :eek:

No need to be bitter over it, they'll be offered something fair, if Cochrane doesn't behave like a tit, he'll be back where he belongs. Yay.

Considering Chappy, Stevie J and Kelly were pushed out before time and while Ablett was still okay this year but a few of the former cats must be scratching their heads at the club's direction. Ablett would differently free up Danger to go forward but I would have thought that going for a bloke in his mid 30s is risky.

You should apply for Ashcroft's Footy Ops boss at the Suns with that attitude. Get nothing, wise move :eek:

No need to be bitter over it, they'll be offered something fair, if Cochrane doesn't behave like a tit, he'll be back where he belongs. Yay.

No point rewarding s**t money grubbing blokes with what they want. And he is the epitome of that in AFL.

It's the right attitude for GC to take with this player.

No point rewarding s**t money grubbing blokes with what they want. And he is the epitome of that in AFL.

It's the right attitude for GC to take with this player.

Why? They lured him up there with promises of success at a new team. 7 years in and they've been a rabble and wasted his best years, he's given them great service despite all that. He owes them absolutely nothing.

If I was on that kind of coin i'd happily do it. Thousands of people drive from Geelong to Melbourne for work every day. At a tenth of the wage a high profile player like that is on.

If it was about money he'd stay in Gold Coast. The money is obviously of secondary importance, he's choosing family and quality of life.

Not a crime, simply Ablett is a disingenuous turd who doesn't deserve any favours from GCS.

Thus the majority have zero sympathy or empathy for him.

Where's the favour? If the two choices are trading him or he retires then it's in GCS' best interest to trade him.

Considering Chappy, Stevie J and Kelly were pushed out before time and while Ablett was still okay this year but a few of the former cats must be scratching their heads at the club's direction. Ablett would differently free up Danger to go forward but I would have thought that going for a bloke in his mid 30s is risky.

It's just list management. You cant have Chappy, Kelly, SJ, Lonergan, Mackie, Enright, Bartel and Stokes all in the one team over 30. They're all gone and the only over 30's would be Gaz and Harry Taylor. That's acceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back