Review GBU v Protected Tigers - Rd 17, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

He managed to do that while not bringing the intent to work, chase, tackle, and put his body over the ball, which are Mackay's only strengths. Waste of time.

OMFG. Give me one time when D-Mac has ever "put his body over the ball". I am yet to find one iota of this spud's so-called "strengths". Still cant believe he is a life member of the club.

But, D-Mac is light years better than Hampton. Can't believe I have found my new whipping boy (only if Curtly keeps getting played that is).

OMFG. Give me one time when D-Mac has ever "put his body over the ball". I am yet to find one iota of this spud's so-called "strengths". Still cant believe he is a life member of the club.

But, D-Mac is light years better than Hampton. Can't believe I have found my new whipping boy (only if Curtly keeps getting played that is).
He puts his head over it more than a lot of our team.

We do it every game at every centre bounce, our forward 50 is generally 4v6, that is our game style. Worked when you had Gov that could take a ontested mark and a fast Charlie and an in form Betts to apply pressure whilst out numbered but has been a disaster with our current personal.
Hence my comment
Or coaches have shown they can change the plan to suit the circumstances eg Sydney game. I don't understand why they don't always

Nah he does do that regularly
It's everything else that's the problem

Look, I’m no D-Mac fanboy but Mackay isn’t soft, and has taken his share of hits over the years. His size does see him knocked off the ball more easily, but intent isn’t a problem.

Take a look at Atkins if you want to see someone who needs a rocket in the “body over the ball” department. Actively avoids contact, and lets the side down by not tackling.

Last edited:
Agree with this. Said to my brother that if we keep letting you have free players in defence we are no chance.

Pyke made the move before the first bounce. It seemed negative and gave your forwards no chance to get into the game. Made for an ugly first half as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyke made the move before the first bounce. It seemed negative and gave your forwards no chance to get into the game. Made for an ugly first half as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As others have mentioned it's how we structure up at centre bounces, and we did the same last year. With the injuries we have though we are a) less likely to get quality possession/fast movement going forward and b) less likely to be able to lock it in the forward line as the guys down there provide less pressure. So it's harder to go forward and harder to keep it there. Coaches should adjust to plan to suit the personnel we have but haven't. Plus I think teams have worked out how to counter it better as well. We have basically been on the back foot since preseason and never recovered. Looking forward to next year.

This play sort of sums up how slow and unfit we're running

Excellent, revealing, and saddening footage.

Will we do anything about it over the off season? Our history suggests not, hopefully Pyke fires some shots.

This play sort of sums up how slow and unfit we're running

I'd like to know why Jacobs is rucking so far inside the forward 50. Isn't that what Jenkins is for? Jacobs should be 60m from goal ready to swallow up any high kicks that come from Richmond's defenders.

Also, **** knows why we have so many midfielders in at that contest, and so close to Jacobs (with no room to spread). It's like an under 10's match.

Appalling defensive running and fitness, but our positioning is just as bad. Not sure if it's poor structures (coaching) or the players are just ignoring the coaches' directions.

Similarly in the West Coast game, Dunstall kept making the point about our forwards constantly playing from behind. Fogarty was the only one to get in front (and marked the quick kick from Mackay).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is one thing you cannot fault Mackay, he is a ******* brave footballer for someone who is knocked over by a strong breeze. Does put his body on the line at every moment he has too as well.

Such a shame that the closer he gets to the football, the worse he becomes.

Similarly in the West Coast game, Dunstall kept making the point about our forwards constantly playing from behind. Fogarty was the only one to get in front (and marked the quick kick from Mackay).
Doesn't really matter where they play at the moment, given the quality of delivery from our midfield. If they play in front, or make a lead and get away from their opponent, the midfielders just kick it straight over their heads - Bryce Gibbs, I'm looking at you!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back