Review GBU v Protected Tigers - Rd 17, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

You left out BCrouch in the midfield. Easily one of our quickest mids when he's on. I reckon he has MCrouch, Gibbs and Sloane covered for pace.
Thought I had forgot someone.

Anyone who says pace isn’t important is dreaming.

In the last quarter last week we showed that it still could be. They just have to have to confidence to pull it off. Unfortunately, confidence has been flushed down the injury and high performance toilet.
I think you're undervaluing the speed factor in our missing players Jen. The speedy ball movement gamestyle can only be done if you have players able to spread and outrun their opponents. If we have a lack of pace for the spread, opposition defenders can easily chase/harass us and the quick ball movement will likely lead in a forced error and an opposition rebound.
With the Eagles, we looked good in that 4th quarter, but I'd daresay it's only so because the Eagles players were stuffed with their running, and we overran them due to our better fitness at the time. The lack of overall speed is inhibiting our quick ball movements no doubt.

I think you're undervaluing the speed factor in our missing players Jen. The speedy ball movement gamestyle can only be done if you have players able to spread and outrun their opponents. If we have a lack of pace for the spread, opposition defenders can easily chase/harass us and the quick ball movement will likely lead in a forced error and an opposition rebound.
With the Eagles, we looked good in that 4th quarter, but I'd daresay it's only so because the Eagles players were stuffed with their running, and we overran them due to our better fitness at the time. The lack of overall speed is inhibiting our quick ball movements no doubt.
We did last quarter last week without those speedy players. It CAN be done. Sure it’s an added bonus if you actually have some fast players on the ground as well!

The Eagles largely stopped applying pressure, or certainly didn't apply anywhere near the kind of pressure that Richmond did, and Collingwood some weeks earlier. The Eagles aren't any closer to a premiership than we are, in the current meta.
Agree. The Eagles were bascially like us in the preceding month. They had 2 missing forwards which were there 2 focal points in attack in Kennedy and Darling. This forced them to alter their gamestyle into a more running and chipping around game, instead of banging it long to their tall timbers. And then the 4th quarter they just ran out of puff, which helped us to overrun them.

We did last quarter last week without those speedy players. It CAN be done. Sure it’s an added bonus if you actually have some fast players on the ground as well!
Anyone can look good in the last quarter if the opposition ran out of legs. It's more important that we can play the quick ball movements from the start of the game and maintain a standard throughout. Without quick legs, we just can't do quick ball movements as easily as we had a year and a bit ago.

Pace is especially important when your skill level isn't as good as your opposition.

If you move the ball quickly you're always a chance.

We forever kick slowly to poor contests.
Annoying, and true.
No better example than Poholke looking only to his left down the wing and not at all towards THREE Crows players, all open, all waving and screaming for the ball, to his right. Of course, after waiting, waiting, waiting until Richmond had our blokes out to his left covered, Poholke kicked down the line there to a clogged contest.
If he drives his car with that kind of vision, he's in trouble.

You are only ever going to be as good as the cattle you have at your service.
Interesting point. Will average, even good players improve dramatically under the right Coach? Would a different Coach get better efforts out of eg Atkins and Mackay? Their mediocrity is tolerated and rewarded by re-selection.

Leon Cameron has had a wealth of talent at GWS relative to which you'd have to say they've underachieved (currently 10th). I'd reckon if Clarkson or Matthews coached those blokes they'd have a Flag by now.
The best coaches unite a team to play with a common purpose, while managing player character differences. They also bring out the best in their players, especially the third-tier players (16th - 22nd) who lift and add a lot to 4-quarter effort.
That indefinable quality, team spirit, can often by created and lifted by an inspiring coach eg Blight/ Clarkson/ Matthews. The Bulldogs in 2016 and Richmond 2017/18 clearly have/had very positive team spirit. The turnaround in both teams to win Flags has been amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. Poholke clearly the second worst player on the ground. He is rapidly proving he is not AFL standard

Look, I get that the fumbles in key situations don't look great, and they get amplified based on where they happen on the field, but I think there's something to work with there. Apart from those killer mistakes, I think another PS and some time in the SANFL to work on his composure and awareness and he will develop into a handy little player.

He's also normally very clean at ground level, and has shown that at AFL level in his previous games, so I'm willing to off off more than just these last 2 games where he's shat the bed.

Have to admire the way Cheney has worked into the team and started playing well so quickly. Should earn himself a contract extension the way he is going, even for a base wage one year contract.

If we somehow manage to contend again next year, he is someone I would be comfortable having in our team come finals.

Cheney has always been a solid player. Great defensively and a decent user of the ball. Always gives 110% too which is just a bonus.

He seemed to become a bit of a scapegoat around here for God knows what reasons. If everyone is fit, he really should be replacing Kelly again. Kelly looks clueless in the midfield trying to play the Gibson/Knight role and Cheney is the superior defender.

UGLY: We are slow, slow, SLOW. When you're slow, you better make damn sure you nail your targets and make minimal mistakes. Fast players can recover from mistakes quicker, slow players can't. We looked pedestrian. We miss the intensity Cameron/Shooter/Betts bring to the forward line. We've lost one of those, and according to Smarmy McForehead.... another is on the way out.

Defenders could be wearing pink tutus with tassels and still twirl out of our forward line with minimal issue.

Cheney has always been a solid player. Great defensively and a decent user of the ball. Always gives 110% too which is just a bonus.

He seemed to become a bit of a scapegoat around here for God knows what reasons. .
I agree. He also got pushed back once Kelly started having a good year last year.

You dropped two behind the ball right out of the first bounce. Seemed a very submissive play so early and left you with nothing to go to. The tactic helped you win clearances and contributed to your early territorial dominance but meant you got little reward for effort. Seemed weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He seemed to become a bit of a scapegoat around here for God knows what reasons. If everyone is fit, he really should be replacing Kelly again. Kelly looks clueless in the midfield trying to play the Gibson/Knight role and Cheney is the superior defender.
Shhhhh... I was roundly shouted down during the pre-season when I had the temerity to suggest that Kelly vs Cheney wasn't the foregone conclusion that most people thought after Kelly's 2017 season.

Shhhhh... I was roundly shouted down during the pre-season when I had the temerity to suggest that Kelly vs Cheney wasn't the foregone conclusion that most people thought after Kelly's 2017 season.

Yeah, I think Cheney has always been the better player, injuries didn't serve people's memories well in regards to Cheney. After Kelly's 2017 form he rightly probably started favourite for the role down back, but Cheney's return to form has been welcomed after Kelly "appears" to have returned to his norm for now.

You dropped two behind the ball right out of the first bounce. Seemed a very submissive play so early and left you with nothing to go to. The tactic helped you win clearances and contributed to your early territorial dominance but meant you got little reward for effort. Seemed weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with this. Said to my brother that if we keep letting you have free players in defence we are no chance.

Yes folks can talk all day about footy skills but running in all its forms is primary for footy......and not just when you have the ball either.

Agree with this. Said to my brother that if we keep letting you have free players in defence we are no chance.

We do it every game at every centre bounce, our forward 50 is generally 4v6, that is our game style. Worked when you had Gov that could take a ontested mark and a fast Charlie and an in form Betts to apply pressure whilst out numbered but has been a disaster with our current personal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back