Geelong 2022 = Geelong 2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong can’t play finals. Pure and simple. We’ve had 10 years of failures after exceptional home and away years. I’d have to see something markedly different in style in the last half of the year to say that they look like going all the way in 22.

If Chris Scott does pull this off then I’ve got a massive amount of respect for him. I also respect his decisions to not bottom out and keep topping up to win a flag. It’s courageous and dogged.

Hawthorn's method of just not making finals is a ripper too, though.
You can’t just have a crack at posters posts because of the team they barrack for. That’s beyond pathetic. People can have opinions irrespective of who they go for, it’s a footy forum, not a forum for ‘you can’t say that because your club is <insert insult>’.

For us to be any sort of chance in replicating 2011, we would need to see the development of 3-4 young players. Primarily in the midfield, that perform consistently at a B to A grade level for a majority of the season. I give that a 5% chance of happening.
Parfitt needs to have a big year. Needs to be a lock every week. Stengel looked handy. You just need to add a dimension to your midfield.

Geelong can’t play finals. Pure and simple. We’ve had 10 years of failures after exceptional home and away years. I’d have to see something markedly different in style in the last half of the year to say that they look like going all the way in 22.

If Chris Scott does pull this off then I’ve got a massive amount of respect for him. I also respect his decisions to not bottom out and keep topping up to win a flag. It’s courageous and dogged.
I’ve wanted him gone since the 2013 prelim and even I gave the guy a break last year due to fluking us a grand final berth in 2020. If he wins us another flag I give the guy a break for a couple seasons. Can’t see it happening though.

I’ve wanted him gone since the 2013 prelim and even I gave the guy a break last year due to fluking us a grand final berth in 2020. If he wins us another flag I give the guy a break for a couple seasons. Can’t see it happening though.
Well this is it. I think if he busts this year then they’ll tap him on the shoulder. In my opinion it’s your style. You need to take the game on a lot more and you need to get your second tier guys to step up.

Stengle
Parfitt
Close
Holmes
Z Guthrie
Atkins

Those guys go up by 50% then it supports your big names who have carried you for 10 years.

Well this is it. I think if he busts this year then they’ll tap him on the shoulder. In my opinion it’s your style. You need to take the game on a lot more and you need to get your second tier guys to step up.

Stengle
Parfitt
Close
Holmes
Z Guthrie
Atkins

Those guys go up by 50% then it supports your big names who have carried you for 10 years.
Those guys go up 50% and even I, a very pessimistic supporter think we can win the flag. Rohan, Kolodashnij, Higgins and Dahlhaus need to be delisted or perform also.

You can’t just have a crack at posters posts because of the team they barrack for. That’s beyond pathetic. People can have opinions irrespective of who they go for, it’s a footy forum, not a forum for ‘you can’t say that because your club is <insert insult>’.
But it's Hawthorn.

I can and I did though. What now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfitt needs to have a big year. Needs to be a lock every week. Stengel looked handy. You just need to add a dimension to your midfield.
Parfitt is just one that needs to play like he did on the weekend far more often. The only other likely candidates we have are Narkle, Simpson, Holmes and Stephens. 3/4 of those would also have to go up another level. Incredibly unlikely. That dimension you speak of is explosiveness. Melbourne have that ability to get separation at the stoppage which buys time to execute a kick or handball effectively. The only year I've seen this from Geelong recently was 2020 and it's the main reason we come undone in finals when the pressure ramps up.

My gut feeling is that it won’t take long for teams to figure out how to shut down Stewart and our wingers stifling ball movement. Then the stodgy back six full of butchers will come to the fore. Let’s say Stewart and Enright cancel each other out.
  • Hunt vs Bews
  • Mackie vs Henry
  • Scarlet vs Kolodjashnij
  • Wojcinski vs Atkins
Ball use and attack out of the backline is chalk and cheese.

Also, Essendon somehow thought it would be okay to leave Dangerfield unchecked goal side at stoppages. You simply can’t catch him and I’m guessing teams twig to that pretty quickly as well. I thought that lessons was learnt about 8 years ago but Bombers seemed to need a reminder.

Parfitt is just one that needs to play like he did on the weekend far more often. The only other likely candidates we have are Narkle, Simpson, Holmes and Stephens. 3/4 of those would also have to go up another level. Incredibly unlikely. That dimension you speak of is explosiveness. Melbourne have that ability to get separation at the stoppage which buys time to execute a kick or handball effectively. The only year I've seen this from Geelong recently was 2020 and it's the main reason we come undone in finals when the pressure ramps up.

We are not that bad with Duncan/Smith silky skilled on the wings, Danger/Holmes/Guthrie adding a bit of pace through the middle and Selwood/Parfitt extracting. The dimension we’re missing IMO is a ruckmen that doesn’t melt like butter when challenged. We’ll play more physical guys in the ruck than Draper over the course of the season and Stanley will once again crumble.

We are not that bad with Duncan/Smith silky skilled on the wings, Danger/Holmes/Guthrie adding a bit of pace through the middle and Selwood/Parfitt extracting. The dimension we’re missing IMO is a ruckmen that doesn’t melt like butter when challenged. We’ll play more physical guys in the ruck than Draper over the course of the season and Stanley will once again crumble.
The problem is, Danger/Duncan/Smith/Selwood will likely drop 10% output by seasons end again if they are shouldering the load the entirety of the season. Which is why we need the youngsters contributing.

The problem is, Danger/Duncan/Smith/Selwood will likely drop 10% output by seasons end again if they are shouldering the load the entirety of the season. Which is why we need the youngsters contributing.

Danger and Duncan barely played last year and were very hampered by injury when they did… I agree there age puts them at risk of being banged up or injured at the pointy end (as per usual), but danger looks far better than previous 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Danger and Duncan barely played last year and were very hampered by injury when they did… I agree there age puts them at risk of being banged up or injured at the pointy end (as per usual), but danger looks far better than previous 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Danger does look much better, I agree. Injury has hindered him the last few seasons so if he sustains his Round 1 efforts then that's one less youngster we'd need to rely on.

My gut feeling is that it won’t take long for teams to figure out how to shut down Stewart and our wingers stifling ball movement. Then the stodgy back six full of butchers will come to the fore. Let’s say Stewart and Enright cancel each other out.
  • Hunt vs Bews
  • Mackie vs Henry
  • Scarlet vs Kolodjashnij
  • Wojcinski vs Atkins
Ball use and attack out of the backline is chalk and cheese.

Also, Essendon somehow thought it would be okay to leave Dangerfield unchecked goal side at stoppages. You simply can’t catch him and I’m guessing teams twig to that pretty quickly as well. I thought that lessons was learnt about 8 years ago but Bombers seemed to need a reminder.

I don’t disagree with that. But let’s ignore for a moment that in the actual Grand Final in 2011 Hawkins was elite.

We have essentially the best key forward overall for the last 4 years. We have another key forward who during that time for ONE season was probably the best key forward. Both of them fit makes our stay at home forward line probably as superior to the 2011 team as what the 2011 backline is to the current one. We don’t have a Steve Johnson or Paul Chapman equivalent in the midfield who can go forward and kick 3-4 goals to attack wise that team is probably superior but Stengle if he was to become a 40 goal small forward could close that gap.

I actually don’t think our midfield now is THAT far behind if it’s fit and firing: Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Guthrie, Parfitt - it’s not as good as Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Johnson, Ling, Corey, obviously, but it’s still a very solid group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back