Autopsy Geelong defeated by Hawthorn by 1 point @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was rucking, that didn't work, as McEvoy slaughtered us and was best on ground. If he was tagging Mitchell, that didn't work either, as he killed us and was close to best on ground. And we lost the game. So I'm failing to see what value this supposed "Mr Fixit" had.
Simplistic analysis.
Do you for a fact know that both those players were dominating when he was on them?

We know he dominated when Stanley was on him and Mitchell had 1 great quarter. The 2nd quarter.

He's a good player but he's a complete and utter w***er with an ego the size of his forehead, on top of being a sniping coward.
But yeah he can play a bit, so long as he's allowed to run around on his own without actually having to account for an opponent.
Matthew Scarlett is a pretty s**t bloke too by all accounts.
Ill take a s**t bloke like Sicily any day of the week if it makes us better ....the kid is going to be a very very very good player

Watched 15 minutes of the last quarter yesterday - from when we were 25 points down to when Roughead took the mark.

Thoughts:

- Cam Guthrie was excellent, his only howler was getting caught HTB with about 2 mins to go (I know he also shanked a kick later on). Provided more run through the middle than anyone else on the field and was clean.

- Dangerfield and Ablett lifted, Selwood was at the bottom of packs but had little impact late in the game. I really question how fit he was after his round one injury.

- Hawkins looked more dangerous than he had all day due to fast ball movement. As well as kicking a goal, he crashed several packs, one of which directly led to Parfitt's goal leveling the scores.

- Menzel = star. Didn't put a foot wrong when the game was close. If we are to be a serious premiership threat we simply have to manage him correctly so he's firing at the end of the season. It is insane to think we chose to enter a final without him.

- All the bleating about the umpires was ridiculous. In the last 15 minutes we got very lucky once, when Dangerfield was caught HTB in the centre square but no free kick was paid. Puopolo did the exact same thing about 60m from Hawthorn's goal but it was a ball up and not a free kick to us.

yep. its not just that we are playing home games away from our home city but we are playing them in our opponents home city. Its utterly bizarre. No other professional sport would allow it. We really need to fight this injustice more.
I know in they past (and wouldn't be surprised if it was still happening this year), that our Melbourne home matches against teams that sell their home matches interstate, have also worked as match replacements for their Melbourne members.

So our home matches can basically be a "home" match for opposition fans, rather than being a genuine away match opposition crowd who need to either purchase a ticket or have an away membership component to their membership

All good and irrefutable points.
Nobody saying he is great at these roles.
But he's the best we have.
Again, losing Sav on match day was not helpful- plans were thrown into disarray it appeared.

I think both he and the team would be far better served by parking him as a key defender for at least the next few weeks. If necessary then Smith and maybe Stanley cover the ruck. So be it. That's the situation. It's better than have him do a half-arsed job in two or three roles.

Agree ..

IMO that comes down to the venue really.

As CS said post game.. we are still the only team that plays less than 50% of their home games at their 1st choice home ground.

I can’t image PFD, Sel of GAJ getting booed at KP. Hell, GAJ got applause first game back after he left for GCS.
When the MCG is 30 mins from hawks home base and 85 from ours..
fair to suggest their representation will outnumber ours.. It also allows our Melbourne fan base easier home game access.

Of course, we make good money at the g with good crowds and the afl prefer the bigger number for their marquee games.

Go Catters
So what you're saying is that we need to start thumping the Hawks by 100+ so they're no longer marquee games and we can play them at home?

I know in they past (and wouldn't be surprised if it was still happening this year), that our Melbourne home matches against teams that sell their home matches interstate, have also worked as match replacements for their Melbourne members.

So our home matches can basically be a "home" match for opposition fans, rather than being a genuine away match opposition crowd who need to either purchase a ticket or have an away membership component to their membership
Monday's match was exactly that.

Here's why I think you all overrate Bomber Thompson.

Let's look at our flag wins.

2007- This required little coaching or tactics. Port didn't show up to play, and the players had one of the easiest days in their life. Bomber could have sat back and slept, and it wouldn't have made much difference.

2008- Bomber's tactics actually cost us the game. The non-selection of Wojo, who would have cut through Hawthorn's "cluster" on the 'G, and playing Matthew Stokes as a tagger (when he has never tagged in his life) against Luke Hodge, when every person and their dog said that Max Rooke would tag Hodge, and try out Hodge's ribs. Bomber tried to be "too smart by half" and it backfired on him.

2009- It was even steven, when one bit of play won us the flag. The Scarlett toepoke to Ablett, who then kicked it to a pack, where Varcoe caught it off the pack, handballed to Chapman, who goaled, won us that flag. I doubt that was a set play, but rather players using nuace and instinct in a situation which won us the game. St. Kilda could have easily have done the same passage of play and won the flag as well. It wasn't a Bomber tactic that won us that flag, either.

2011- In the second quarter, Travis Cloke was getting on top of Geelong, and we were behind. Soon after, Pods went down injured, and we looked sunk for the day.

But what happened? Scott moved Lonergan to Cloke, and kept him goalless for the rest of the day, and put Jimmy Bartel at CHF, who kicked three telling goals, and got us in front. Other field placements, and playing an injured Steve Johnson, who was one of our best in the 2011 GF, won us the flag. On top of that, a first year coach in Chris Scott, beat a 27-year coaching veteran on the biggest stage.

So, Bomber's flags were more player-driven, and the one in 2008 was poor tactics by him, whereas Scott's flag in 2011 was won by a couple of moves, including the masterstroke of playing Bartel. a great overhead mark for his size and a good kick, as a second key forward.

So given that, I think Chris Scott won his flag based on actual coaching, whereas Bomber won it due to the players themselves, which points to me that Scott is the better coach.
I remember a Essendon vs Sydney??(I think) game where Bomber was doing the Essendon membership phone drive thing up to half time and the Bombers were getting absolutely smashed.
Bomber rocked up to coaches box at half time and they completely turned it around and nearly won the game.
Just sayin.
Also your post is complete tripe. Those players who "coached themselves " in 07 & 09 ( but not 11 of course) were trained and drilled to play finals footy from the get go.
More goes into coaching than just grand final day in the coaches box.

the very least we should do is say if you want our fans to travel nearly 2 hours each way then the game must be in the middle of the day on a sunday so people can get home before 6pm and prepare for the work week. although this is still very inadequate. it should be non negotiable.

although i would prefer that if we must play at the mcg we impose quotas on opposition supporters and give all the geelong supporters the best seats. make the oppositions cheer squad sit on the top deck. do something to make the mcg feel like a home game for the fans and players. make the opposition fans who live near by know this is enemy territory today.

its an utter disgrace that ablett, selwood and dangerfiled receive loud boos in our home games. Not acceptable.
And one of our problems is that we are quiet, too quiet even at KP. However after the puerile, idiotic, immature behavior of the Hawthorn supporters on Monday perhaps keep it that way.

And one of our problems is that we are quiet, too quiet even at KP. However after the puerile, idiotic, immature behavior of the Hawthorn supporters on Monday perhaps keep it that way.
It might be memory playing tricks on me, but I don't remember us being quiet at KP in the 90s.

Dunno what happened to all those folks with big voices - they seem to have disappeared.

Even the cheersquad are church mice.

It might be memory playing tricks on me, but I don't remember us being quiet at KP in the 90s.

Dunno what happened to all those folks with big voices - they seem to have disappeared.

Even the cheersquad are church mice.
seats. We now fit 2 people where we used to fit 4. being closer together adn standing up makes people more boisterous. less drinking at the game now too. its more a family affair.

yep we are treated as a used rag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seats. We now fit 2 people where we used to fit 4. being closer together adn standing up makes people more boisterous. less drinking at the game now too. its more a family affair.
All good points. Mid-strenghth beer, too.

Cheersquad should have drums with metal skins, so when they bang on them, it sounds like banging on the fence.

This gets repeated like a mantra. Is he though?

So what roles did he have on Monday, ruck and tagging?

If he was rucking, that didn't work, as McEvoy slaughtered us and was best on ground. If he was tagging Mitchell, that didn't work either, as he killed us and was close to best on ground. And we lost the game. So I'm failing to see what value this supposed "Mr Fixit" had.

There's a difference between playing in multiple positions, and actually doing it well. Where he should have been was key defense (it seems for now there is no one else) and stayed there. He would have been more competitive than Zac Guthrie for obvious reasons. But for some reason that escaped the coaching box.

Tagged Mitchell and Smith apparently. Did a good job as Mitchell only had 40 possessions instead of 54 and Smith only had 20 pos and 2 goals.

All good points. Mid-strenghth beer, too.

Cheersquad should have drums with metal skins, so when they bang on them, it sounds like banging on the fence.
cheersquad needs a massive overhall. Drums would be good. Some decent chants as well. need to get the whole crowd involved like they used to back in the early nineties.

cheersquad needs a massive overhall. Drums would be good. Some decent chants as well. need to get the whole crowd involved like they used to back in the early nineties.
Yes. Exactly. The cheersquad leader is a bit light on for volume.

Have the coach's votes for round two been released?

GEELONG v HAWTHORN
10 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
7 Ben McEvoy (Haw)
6 Gary Ablett (Geel)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
2 Jarman Impey (Haw)
1 Tim Kelly (Geel)
1 Isaac Smith (Haw)

LEADERBOARD
20 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
16 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
16 Rory Laird (Adel)
15 Lance Franklin (Syd)
14 Dustin Martin (Rich)
12 Gary Ablett (Geel)
12 Shannon Hurn (WC)
10 Ben Brown (NM)
10 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
10 Jack Darling (WC)
10 Tom Lynch (GC)
10 Jack Steven (StK)
10 Nathan Wilson (Frem)
10 Ollie Wines (PA)

I never thought I'd see the day you'd buy a Hawthorn membership Daz.
wait..what?

How the hell did we get there and how do we leave without paying.

Go Catters

GEELONG v HAWTHORN
10 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
7 Ben McEvoy (Haw)
6 Gary Ablett (Geel)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
2 Jarman Impey (Haw)
1 Tim Kelly (Geel)
1 Isaac Smith (Haw)

LEADERBOARD
20 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
16 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
16 Rory Laird (Adel)
15 Lance Franklin (Syd)
14 Dustin Martin (Rich)
12 Gary Ablett (Geel)
12 Shannon Hurn (WC)
10 Ben Brown (NM)
10 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
10 Jack Darling (WC)
10 Tom Lynch (GC)
10 Jack Steven (StK)
10 Nathan Wilson (Frem)
10 Ollie Wines (PA)

Thanks for that

Was working Monday, replaying & up to 1/2 time now.

If you thought that the era of the sniper was done, think again.

Would love to plant my boot under Sicilys' chin but that tactic was in place b4 he came along and quite a few other Haw players are displaying it, so maybe 'Napoleon complex' Clarkson, is the person who would benefit most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back