Autopsy Geelong defeated by Swans by 46 points..

Remove this Banner Ad

ps, I looked at your injury list on Thursday and was quite shocked at how many players you had out.

I get the gloom and doom, I was feeling it big time at around Owen 3 onwards to 6, but likewise, much of it came down to who was available.

The comp is too even now, aside from GWS, who have about 20 first rounders in their reserves team, most other sides will struggle once they lose 4-6 topline players.

Agree, I think we have seen since round six why you where only 5 minutes away from a flag in 2016.

Because we haven't gone down the ladder at all, I think people forget sometimes just how young our list is.

I think the Swans are flag favourites at the moment with the bye weekend now making finishing top 4 not as important as it once was.

Take away the scoreboard, to see Buzza, Simpson, and Zac Gutherie coming through, you have to be excited about the future.

I do feel with the level of injuries we are now carrying, only a Western Bulldogs roll of the dice in September with some players coming back from injury could allow us to contend.

That's exactly right. In the first qtr again it was obvious they weren't trying to spot up marking fwd's or be accurate simply moving it fwd however and then lobbing it to the goal square where it ran through. On a windy night we were trying to play as if it was Docklands by constantly kicking to a man to have a set shot. They were kicking off the ground, bashing it fwd creating fwd momentum.

Despite my emotional state I thought we weren't that bad given that we had what 5-6 players in their first year and two who are so young and unable to handle the pressure. As I remarked earlier this week we sent out our most junior team last night, having said that had Mots, menz and say stanley played as they could I'm fairly sure we would still have lost with the mismatch between playing styles and windy conditions last night especially once Joel went down. Wrong playing style which is a big worry.

As a note I made a poor post last night regarding Menegola which I regret mostly because it was bull. He played well last night in the contest. Sydney do my head in for some reason especially when they got something like three or four to our one umpire assisted goals at a critical stages of the game.

As a note I am detecting an anti Geelong sentiment around in the media. Is it that we were over hyped now they must prick us, not sure but it seems to be coming through on SEN, C7 and Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The absolute silence on ch 7 last night when obvious frees to us were missed, and the carry on about Duncan 'punching' that little guy who dived (which was fairly obvious from the replay), was notable to say the least!

(I love lingy, but come on mate).

Just don't want Hawkins free to jumper punch and potentially concuss Rance or anyone because he gets let off and is yet to learn.
Just be sure cockchin doesn't break someones jaw next time. But its ok cause he would be let off anyway cause tigers are protected species this year.

Rance would probably fake a concussion the diving punce.

Ok, after a poor night's sleep here are my thoughts.

Firstly, I couldn't fault the effort. Unlike the previous two games against them I also didn't think they dominated the game either. Aside from the 20min spell in the first quarter, it was an even contest. I don't count the last quarter as the umpires effectively ended the game in the first few minutes of the last quarter. The rest was junk time stuff basically. It was also one of the worst umpired games I've seen this year and no surprise to see Matthew Nicholls in the centre of the action.

If we had taken the chances in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, notably the terrible set shot goal kicking, then who knows? It is so deflating to see us miss gettable goals while Sydney plucked goals out of the arse. Statistically it was very even, but they were more efficient going forward and cleaner with their disposal. We also just overuse the handball one or two times too many for much of the game and it invites that pressure. The slow movement of the footy doesn't help the forward line either - when to lead, where to lead, etc.

Our forward line is a huge issue, we all know it. We fell down often across HF again, missing that second and third presence. Tom tried hard, but couldn't do it alone. But our ball movement was so slow, that it played into the Swans' hands. There was a distinct lack of willingness to take the game on and move it quickly. The few occasions we did, we caught them out, it was such a shame that it didn't happen more often.

Our injuries have killed us, but we're a month from finals, it's a time to stablise the side for September. The uncertainty with injuries doesn't help, but we need to settle the side. No small forwards and playing Buzza, Guthrie and Simpson won't be winning us anything in September. But they are all showing some good signs and will be better for the experience. I'm in the Stanley ahead of Buzza camp. We need to bite the bullet and go with Rhys for the rest of the year.

Menzel and Mots must come back in ASAP to add some creativity up forward. Mots has to be used to his strengths, across half forward and around goals. I'll take that ahead of their lack of defensive pressure.

My concern is Kolo. It would be great if someone could tell me what he brings to the team. All I see is a liability with and without the ball, and the fact he was moved up forward at times shows how thin we are for options. Like C.Guthrie, he's probably lucky we have no replacements available because he has been ordinary all year.

While last night was disappointing, I'm not as downcast as last year after the game in July. There were times when we had the ascendancy and didn't make it count. Add in some handy players and I believe we can more than competitive against them should we meet again. It's whether we get those players back which will be the question.

Firstly, I couldn't fault the effort. Unlike the previous two games against them I also didn't think they dominated the game either. Aside from the 20min spell in the first quarter, it was an even contest. I don't count the last quarter as the umpires effectively ended the game in the first few minutes of the last quarter. The rest was junk time stuff basically. It was also one of the worst umpired games I've seen this year and no surprise to see Matthew Nicholls in the centre of the action.

Great analysis, and pretty much what I've been thinking. First Quarter, we went for one handball too many, turnovers in bad places and Sydney goals from snaps which you just can't defend. 2nd and 3rd Qs we would pin the margin back, to have a bullshit free paid against us, or a bad turnover and our 5mins of straggling to get a goal is wiped in the next 30s. It was a deflating game, it was frustrating for both the players and the supporters, you could feel the tension everytime Nicholls blew the whistle.

We win games when we take the game on and run, so many times we would stop and prop, allowing Sydney to flood our forward line and get an easy 2 on 1. I don't know if it's a confidence issue or a message coming from the box, but we need something to click, otherwise we're looking at straight sets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had taken the chances in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, notably the terrible set shot goal kicking, then who knows? It is so deflating to see us miss gettable goals while Sydney plucked goals out of the arse. Statistically it was very even, but they were more efficient going forward and cleaner with their disposal. We also just overuse the handball one or two times too many for much of the game and it invites that pressure. The slow movement of the footy doesn't help the forward line either - when to lead, where to lead, etc.

Our forward line is a huge issue, we all know it. We fell down often across HF again, missing that second and third presence. Tom tried hard, but couldn't do it alone. But our ball movement was so slow, that it played into the Swans' hands. There was a distinct lack of willingness to take the game on and move it quickly. The few occasions we did, we caught them out, it was such a shame that it didn't happen more often.

Our injuries have killed us, but we're a month from finals, it's a time to stablise the side for September. The uncertainty with injuries doesn't help, but we need to settle the side. No small forwards and playing Buzza, Guthrie and Simpson won't be winning us anything in September. But they are all showing some good signs and will be better for the experience. I'm in the Stanley ahead of Buzza camp. We need to bite the bullet and go with Rhys for the rest of the year.

Menzel and Mots must come back in ASAP to add some creativity up forward. Mots has to be used to his strengths, across half forward and around goals. I'll take that ahead of their lack of defensive pressure.

My concern is Kolo. It would be great if someone could tell me what he brings to the team. All I see is a liability with and without the ball, and the fact he was moved up forward at times shows how thin we are for options. Like C.Guthrie, he's probably lucky we have no replacements available because he has been ordinary all year.

While last night was disappointing, I'm not as downcast as last year after the game in July. There were times when we had the ascendancy and didn't make it count. Add in some handy players and I believe we can more than competitive against them should we meet again. It's whether we get those players back which will be the question.
Great summary.

s**t night but we were better than the scoreboard reads. Hawkins and Duncan have rocks for brains and I'll be pretty pissed off with them if they get suspended. If those two and Danger, Selwood and Menzel are playing next week I'll be confident.

have you any idea what it's like as a neutral listening to ling commentate geelong games?
No....

But from one with no skin in this game is it as horrendous as we feel it is, or are we just all lost and misdirected?

GO Catters

Like last time he jumper punched someone ?
You mean when he pushed the Crow bobblehead?

That one?

Cmon Jimmy - stop dragging your new alias down to old levels.

It was crap then, and its crap now.

GO Catters

You mean when he pushed the Crow bobblehead?

That one?

Cmon Jimmy - stop dragging your new alias down to old levels.

It was crap then, and its crap now.

GO Catters
What alias are you talking about?
I've had this account for 2 years
You've lost all track of time......like a poker addict playing a machine
Go get some sunshine. Sunshine.

Most frustrating part of the game was us continuing to kick backwards, give up a lot of ground then turn the ball over resulting in a goal. Its incredibly dumb football yet we continued to do it. Better off kicking down the line to a contest.

I could have punched a hole in the wall every time we did. You think you would learn the first time it happened, or at least the second and third wouldn't you.

And why is it when we have a player outside 50 looking to find a loose player inside 50 our guys are static and standing there scratching their balls. Move and lead to the ball you muppets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back