Autopsy Geelong defeated by Swans by 46 points..

Remove this Banner Ad

I've liked Duncan this year, but his 32 disposals last night had nearly zero effect. Only two inside 50s, 300 metres gained less than 10m per possession) and 3 clearances.

Got a lot of it, but didn't do much with it. Not the damaging play we've had from him this year.

His heat map had most of his disposals around the centre, so to only get two inside 50s indicates a lot of sideways kicks which was infuriating.

Sydney handled our defensive structures with ease. So many times Sydney would pick out a player between four players guarding space. It's like groundhog day. Against certain teams and in big games our gameplan and our ability to cope with the opposition gameplan is terrible.
Our game plan is old school and inflexible. Like our coaching staff...

Well, justified.
In one week he has seen his Brownlow and premiership chances evaporate.
Yep. Sure makes the decision not to challenge (regardless of how unlikely it might have been) look like the wrong one now. A second Brownlow would have been some consolation for not making the "ultimate prize." Two primary contenders in Adelaide and Sydney have totally exposed us now....

Not much to like from that game. Usually 1 player holds his head high for the whole game, but all players had down parts of the game unfortunately.
Our inability to shut down the fast starts from opposition has been a problem for Geelong for a while now, even in the 07-11 era, although we had more firepower back then around the ground to fight back.
Here's hoping our in's over the next few weeks sets us up for a good finals run. This year is a crapshoot so we could pull one out of the bag. fingers crossed!

Would be great if Scott learns something about the way to play Sydney from this game.

From only small glimpses in the game, Parsons should be our long term answer to a small, crumbing forward.
Scott has had opportunities to do this and we get the same old, same old...

Footy is as much mental as it is physical......and once again, we failed to turn up in a big game
Either Scott is not recognising the importance of getting these blokes up in their preps, or they aren't listening to him

Everything from the Coach to the Players (excluding the obvious warriors) is mediocre.
There's a horrible feel about this club at the moment ......They lack transparency with the members, they rip us off with the highest inflated ticket prices in the competition, the coach has a snarky attitude towards criticism, blokes like Motlop and Menzel being tested for finals, who never perform in finals anyway, our stars are falling apart physically because they are carrying too many freeloaders and the amount of soft tissue injuries has got me thinking 'is this just coincidental or is there something wrong with our medical processes

There's something very wrong with the club ATM and we are merely limping to the finals for another horrible showing

Feel more rational today but still cross after that pathetic effort last night. Sure no Blicavs, Cockatoo and Dangerfield hurt us but this game was just like the two last year and Dangerfield and Blicavs played in those- not sure about Cockatoo.
Players that need to go are Murdoch- he has been on our list for several years and still is ordinary; Motlop (although perhaps playing as a small forward and staying in the forward 50 last night might have assisted us); Stanley he has got worse each year with us; and unfortunately Menzel-if we can't assume that he will play at least 20 games reach year then it is a wasted number on our list.
Coaches that need to go are - Rahilly, O'Bree, Lappin and probably Knights. Scott???? if he has better assistants but really he hasn't delivered in finals.
Fitness medical staff - don't know who they are but they certainly haven't managed our injuries well- Cockatoo, Gregson-waited too long for surgery- McCarthy.
Lonergan will probably retire this year which leaves a yawning gap- how good was he last night on Franklin
Mongrel- we have none and nobody
Leadership on the ground -we have none except for J Selwood leading with his head
2004-11 we had a brilliant group of brilliant players the likes of which may never be seen again and we had Thompson antics aside a great group of Coaches the like of which we will probably never see again.
But we do have a big and grand stand. By the way don't pay for seats there were at least a hundred empty ones in the bay that I was standing behind last night . All there for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not get too melodramatic after one loss. Crippled with injuries to the majority of our regular forward line, best player out suspended, 2nd best player injured part way through the match, many of our depth players who would usually come in to cover for the injured also out injured so we had to play many more kids than we would choose. The scoreline blew out in towards the end, but we didn't get thumped from start to finish.

I think some just like to take every opportunity to bag the coach. Tonight it was on the players. Really poor kicking, both in the field and at the goals, took the wind out of our sails. Some really woeful on-field discipline by senior players sealed the deal. Convert half of the easy ones and we would have been right in it at 3/4 time, and I don't think the heads would have dropped so early in the last. Apart from the crappy idea of playing Taylor forward until the dumbness of that decision dawned and he was switched down back, I don't think the coaching or game plan was a problem. The execution by the players was ordinary, and I think Scott would have been as frustrated about it, and probably more so, than we were.

The kids are kids, and are expected to make mistakes in a high pressure game. That said, I was keen on sticking with Buzza before tonight, but I've changed that opinion. Nowhere near ready. Stanley or Black would have been far better options tonight. Buzza will be good, but isn't yet, and needs to work on his game in the VFL.

Kolo is a different story. He's not a kid, been in the system for some years now, but just isn't up to AFL football and I don't think he will get better. Being a defender and having really poor awareness does not make for a long or stellar career. Twos and then trade for whatever we can get.

Tom Hawkins, how dumb can you be?? Already without much of our forward line and he goes and gives the MRP the opportunity to rub him out for a match. Duncan the same. People can harp on about game plans and coaches and whine about umps, but the stupidity of some of our senior players really needs to be put under a bigger spotlight.

Tom Stewart is has become vital for us, a real working-class star. Apart from his goal kicking Menegola was good, right in the guts is by far his best position. I had doubts about Parsons a couple of weeks ago but he's quickly cementing himself in the best 22. Not sure exactly what role C Guthrie is playing week to week, but whatever it is he's doing it poorly. Only staying in until others are fit.

Spare me the melodrama about our season being over. We are second, and just trying to tread water for a few rounds while we get some players back. We've done it pretty well so far, one loss was probably expected and doesn't mean the sky is falling. And we'll probably lose more while our fit playing stocks are thin. It's all about making the Top 8 and then the game starts again in finals - and by then we should have a fitter list to choose from.

On to Richmond, hopefully better kicking, better discipline and a better result.

Go Catters!
Yep - can't see Kolo is worth persevering with...

Feel more rational today but still cross after that pathetic effort last night. Sure no Blicavs, Cockatoo and Dangerfield hurt us but this game was just like the two last year and Dangerfield and Blicavs played in those- not sure about Cockatoo.
Players that need to go are Murdoch- he has been on our list for several years and still is ordinary; Motlop (although perhaps playing as a small forward and staying in the forward 50 last night might have assisted us); Stanley he has got worse each year with us; and unfortunately Menzel-if we can't assume that he will play at least 20 games reach year then it is a wasted number on our list.
Coaches that need to go are - Rahilly, O'Bree, Lappin and probably Knights. Scott???? if he has better assistants but really he hasn't delivered in finals.
Fitness medical staff - don't know who they are but they certainly haven't managed our injuries well- Cockatoo, Gregson-waited too long for surgery- McCarthy.
Lonergan will probably retire this year which leaves a yawning gap- how good was he last night on Franklin
Mongrel- we have none and nobody
Leadership on the ground -we have none except for J Selwood leading with his head
2004-11 we had a brilliant group of brilliant players the likes of which may never be seen again and we had Thompson antics aside a great group of Coaches the like of which we will probably never see again.
But we do have a big and grand stand. By the way don't pay for seats there were at least a hundred empty ones in the bay that I was standing behind last night . All there for free.
Mongrel ......we have none!!!! We are soft physically and mentally
We've created a bubble wrap mentality at that club under Scott
Spot on

At the end of the day we fielded an extremely weak side (Champion Data said the weakest of the year) so the result was not that unexpected. We will bounce back.
The key thing that stood out to me in this was the physical difference between the 2 sides. 3 young guys forward as well... even when we did push and got the ball to good areas our young blokes were just pushed aside with ease.. right in front of my seat in the last Simpson and Llyod were after the ball, Simpson did everything right but just couldn't hold the front position and got moved away... in a couple of years he swoops on the ball and likely does damage in the same position.

It's so we have an extra player waiting in the oppositions goal square to receive the 'switch play' kick - we then follow that up with a turnover. Works great. Sydney must have been laughing at us try to switch the ball by going 100m backwards and then following it up with a turnover kick while they simply stayed in the same positions as previous. Then once they got the ball all they had about 3-4 players on their own ready to take an easy mark in their fwd 50... Geelong players meanwhile are implementing the famous guard fresh air tactic that has proven to work time and time again.
LOL On a serious note - just piss-poor coaching

The key thing that stood out to me in this was the physical difference between the 2 sides. 3 young guys forward as well... even when we did push and got the ball to good areas our young blokes were just pushed aside with ease.. right in front of my seat in the last Simpson and Llyod were after the ball, Simpson did everything right but just couldn't hold the front position and got moved away... in a couple of years he swoops on the ball and likely does damage in the same position.
Willo we are physically and mentally weak.
Scott's doing

We are not a good enough team to cover the players we were missing. Even if we get everyone on the park in the finals, we are still up against it with a couple of teams. But expect to do better and whilst the swans are the team to beat they are gettable. Need to be able to capitalise on our ability to dilute buddy because that is such a plus.

Willo we are physically and mentally weak.
Scott's doing
I'm not sure how we are meant to pump up 1st and 2nd year players to be beefcakes so quick? :huh: :D

But whilst I agree with the mentally weak aspect for some players.. that is for another discussion. My point solely related to the kids we had playing last night

The bottom six is really exposing us. Buzza, Parsons, Guthrie, Simpson, Thurlow, Kolojasni. The first four should be nowhere near league football at the moment. Parsons has i reckon had two acceptable games this season yet plays every week due to injuries. When you continue to carry injury prone players year in year out like Menzel, McCarthy, Cowan it's bound to happen.

We need to win our last three forget the kids and get on with winning finals. This side needs to strike now there isn't anything coming in that shows great promise next few years.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
That should easyo_O:(

It's always a good laugh reading supporters reactions after a loss. I'm just pleased that more optimistic people are running the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering a third of our best 22 aren't playing and their replacements are mostly inexperienced kids it's no wonder we cracked under pressure at many stages last night. It's the same situation Sydney found itself for the first month of the season. Sh1t happens. Onward to next week where we can get another chance to get a lock on a double chance. I think we could even afford to lose another game and still finish top 4 but that's a tightrope. Thank goodness two of those games are against others who are competing for the same spots. If we are good enough we'll get there. With the team we presented last night I don't hold out great hopes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back