Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a couple of comments on Twitter regarding Dangerfield's game and they make sense upon reflection - while it was only early in the match, after his clash with Vlastuin he didn't look himself

He started in an aggressive & attacking manner, but after that it's that he was necessarily hesitant or that he went into his shell, but he didn't seem to show that same attack on the ball

I wonder if that played into the decision to keep him forward for longer periods, because he just didn't look the same attack on the ball player that we normally see
No s**t I said this to the wife at the time. Even said Selwood would shrug that off and welcome the next collision but not everyone is built like him.

Scott's system doesnt work when teams cramp our Half forward line up and force the turn over not only does it open the game up for the opposition and backs are drawn towards the footy
Mate, Scott's system got us into a GF when nobody, and I mean nobody, thought that was remotely possible when Tim Kelly packed up and left for West Coast.

It's hard to be too disappointed considering.

Sorry everyone. It sucks.
Very sad. Kind of angry too. I'll hear that effort doesn't exist but it does.
2 50+ turnarounds in 2 finals in 2 years in a row is a real kick in the guts and dumbfounding and maybe my standards are too high but not good enough.
But for a half it was great to be there and I thank every single one of you for sharing this year together. I love you all. Wish we won.

Yep, it sucks.

Barely changed the routine for the last few weeks. Against expectations everything was working. I thought we settled great too and really had them halfway through the second quarter. They just turned up the pressure though.

Cannot be displeased with getting there, it’s always far better than failing in a Prelim. No question. Encouraging signs from Menegola, Stanley, Guthrie, and Miers. All had queries under finals heat and all had good moments. Something to build on.

I think Brisbane and West Coast are the 2.

Brisbane beat them this year, young players are a year more experienced and they should take a lot from this finals series.A fit Daniher gives them possibly the biggest missing piece for their setup.

West Coast still have close to the best list in the league. If they can get back the consistency they had in 2018 they are easily good enough to challenge Richmond.
Brisbane have to play away from Queensland next year. Will be tough for them.

unpopular opinion maybe but the 2008 Cats team is the best team I’ve ever seen

same. We were so dominant and intimidating in this period that not only were opposition supporters wanting us to fail, even commentators were lining up to be the first to call our demise and revel in it. And best of all, we played the game the way it should be played.

Mate, Scott's system got us into a GF when nobody, and I mean nobody, thought that was remotely possible when Tim Kelly packed up and left for West Coast.

It's hard to be too disappointed considering.

actually 22 points up in a GF

Just disappointed. But not devastated, probably because deep down I knew that was going to be the inevitable result, particularly when we failed to capitalise on all the momentum we had in the second quarter. It was Groundhog Day all again, last year's PF into last night. Throw in the Port final and it's an all too familiar story. So many questions, how do we fix it? Can you coach composure? Or is it an inherent trait that some have and some don't?

Our midfield being overrun is the key. Does it not bat deep enough? Richmond have numbers to step in if things aren't working, do we? Or is it purely down to belief in the system and that one is easier to address when it's failing compared to the other? The game turned late in the second quarter, when their midfield got on top and completely outworked ours from then on. 10 goals to 2 is damning. Is it coaching, is it mental, is it physical?

Normally with the Cameron news, you'd be optimistic going forward. But I look at our list right now and wonder, is it worth it? This was the best chance to win one with the current group. Next season they'll be a year older and for many they are already past their peak and you aren't going to get that high level output again. We aren't a side with a young vibe about who you are confident in making the sufficient improvement, it's a side who probably have got everything they can out of them.

I have been proud of what they achieved this year, against all the odds, but it counts for nothing when you don't win the thing. So close, but still so far away.

As I said in the preview thread, both supporters have been given full value by their teams. You would be proud if your boys efforts. Congratulations to Ablett and Taylor for their amazing careers And their contributions to your club and the general footy public. Gaz has obviously been the greatest player of last 14 years. Was so brave playing on after damaging his shoulder. Well done to Duncan and Stewart who were outstanding in first half. Good luck for next season. A replay would be something to look forward to
Only if we win!

Just disappointed. But not devastated, probably because deep down I knew that was going to be the inevitable result, particularly when we failed to capitalise on all the momentum we had in the second quarter. It was Groundhog Day all again, last year's PF into last night. Throw in the Port final and it's an all too familiar story. So many questions, how do we fix it? Can you coach composure? Or is it an inherent trait that some have and some don't?

Our midfield being overrun is the key. Does it not bat deep enough? Richmond have numbers to step in if things aren't working, do we? Or is it purely down to belief in the system and that one is easier to address when it's failing compared to the other? The game turned late in the second quarter, when their midfield got on top and completely outworked ours from then on. 10 goals to 2 is damning. Is it coaching, is it mental, is it physical?

Normally with the Cameron news, you'd be optimistic going forward. But I look at our list right now and wonder, is it worth it? This was the best chance to win one with the current group. Next season they'll be a year older and for many they are already past their peak and you aren't going to get that high level output again. We aren't a side with a young vibe about who you are confident in making the sufficient improvement, it's a side who probably have got everything they can out of them.

I have been proud of what they achieved this year, against all the odds, but it counts for nothing when you don't win the thing. So close, but still so far away.

This is the problem though, the questions are glaring and obvious yet I'm blind to the answers.
Not even a general wide sweeping answer works like we had the last several years to the over-reliance on Danger/Selwood through the middle.
The answer was obvious then, we needed more contribution from more players that those 2. But we have that now.
So again, I have no idea on what the answers are to any of those questions.

West Coast can’t play away. Very overrated. They only won it in 2018 due to one of the biggest upsets of all time in the prelim.
They are 20-13 away from home since the start of 2018 which is a very respectable interstate record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That turnover was a game changer...

I go back further to Selwoods free kick to start the second half.
Plays on and looks to kick long into our forwardline, instead handballs poorly to Guthrie, whose standing still and facing the wrong way and not expecting the ball, that results in a turn over and a goal to the tigers.
Sliding doors moment, but if he goes long and we score a goal as a result, we go back to 20+ points in front and have wrestled the momentum back.
Instead we got what we got.
Kolo turnover, Blicavs waiting on a loose ball and multiple players mis-hitting simple handballs just added to it and cemented it.

your players kicked some great goals from outside 50, and looked imposing.

To say you dominated as much as us is being a little generous. Yes you had chances, but we had Lynch and Jack>r who couldn't take a mark for a half of footy.
Rioli did nothing but fumble half the game. we had our spuds too, its swings and roundabouts....we have a lot of faster players than you do, you have a lot of bigger body players then us.

This is the point of difference with the systems.
Ours has no leeway for players not taking their chances or playing their best, yours does.
Hence the result.

actually 22 points up in a GF
My mate said to me during the week that you can absolutely dominate Richmond and they can struggle for a half of football yet they're somehow only 3 goals down. I'm not sure if he's todays nostradamus but It came to fruition. We really should have been further in front heading into the long break given the context of that first half.

You really have to make the most of your dominance against Richmond. We were out on our feet from about 5 mins into that 3rd quarter. There was nothing left to give.

Commiserations on last nights result but congratulations on a fantastic season in trying times. Even last night you were far from disgraced, only blew out a little at the end because you had to go for the win. Ultimately you can be proud of your players for the season they put together. As for Ablett - all I can say is he is a huge loss to the game. The player that defined the generation, I didn’t see his father and the like so can’t compare but certainly the GOAT since I’ve been watching. There was a tinge of sadness as he walked off for the last time which I didn’t think I would feel.

To be fair this was also said last year. Who knows, maybe it will be true next year. But its the disappointment of losing talking right now. It sucks.
But we should continue to be optimistic. We just played off in a grand final. We pushed the best team of the last 4 years.
Hopefully we have a good trade period, we get Cameron, and we go again next year.

My mate said to me during the week that you can absolutely dominate Richmond and they can struggle for a half of football yet they're somehow only 3 goals down. I'm not sure if he's todays nostradamus but It came to fruition. We really should have been further in front heading into the long break given the context of that first half.

To really have to make the most of your dominance against Richmond. We were out on our feet from about 5 mins into that 3rd quarter. There was nothing left to give.

I was just agreeing
Were doing something right, couldn’t land the ko punch

I was just agreeing
Were doing something right, couldn’t land the ko punch

This is why richmond are great. You HAVE to land that punch to beat them because their system allows you to dominate them and so long as you don't land that punch, they will always find a way back and capitalise on it.
There's only a small degree of difference between us winning the Flag last night, and the result we got.
There should be cause for optimism.

There must be alternatives to having Blicavs & Hawkins having to ruck so often? Pretty sure they didn't get in past all australian squads for rucking, and it takes a lot out of a player and then having to reset and execute their main role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back