Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.

Either this is a troll post or you're drunk out of your mind.

This current Tigers side would get obliterated by our 2007-2011 side. It wouldn't even be close. The fact that you're even comparing the two sides is an utter joke. If you go through line by line there isn't a single line in which this Richmond side is better.

Ridiculous comparison.
There's no point comparing them. Sides ten years apart can't play each other. Also these comparisons never make much sense because the game changes so much in terms of tactics, conditioning, etc. in even a short period. It's why the Geelong vs Brisbane comparisons used to be dumb as well, or even comparing to Hawthorn of the 80s. You can only compare them relative to what they've achieved, and based on that, this Richmond side has similar claims to greatness as the Geelong side did. Never had the dominant seasons or spread of talent, as recognised by the multitude of AA selections Geelong had, but they haven't choked a grand final and have now gone back to back, something the Geelong team never managed.

I thought Guthrie was quite good. Took a ripping mark and kicked a great goal. Thought he had Dusty’s measure as well in the first quarter in the midfield but I just checked his heatmap and it says he didn’t have a single disposal in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Is this correct? Wtf
Best on first quarter, ghost after that.

So according to this both Scott and Danger agreed he should stay at FF in the 3rd, thats really strange that Danger would want that rather than being in the action.

Last edited:
I feel like what happened last night was really the result of what should happen when a list of players who are mostly in their prime comes up against a mixed list of ageing champions, late-pick rookies and a few genuinely good players in their late 20s.

Like it or not, Selwood, Hawkins, Harry, Hendo, Danger, Ablett and Tuohy are not the players they were at 27/28. Selwood, Harry and GAJ in particular are on their last legs compared to their formerly great selves, and it takes a while for our judgement as supporters to catch up with that.

Down at the other end of the list, Henry, Simpson, Miers, O'Connor and Parfitt are all reasonable players - but none of them were exactly decorated juniors, and I think that shows at times.

To be honest, I think we've done phenomenally well to make the GF this year. I know the result is disappointing, but in context of the two lists who took the field, it's not an enormous shock.

Just listening to Leigh Mathews explain why he gave Nathan Broad 2 votes in the Norm Smith voting. “I was hurried and it was meant to be Short, I apologise if I said the wrong name“. WTF..

Down at the other end of the list, Henry, Simpson, Miers, O'Connor and Parfitt are all reasonable players - but none of them were exactly decorated juniors, and I think that shows at times.
A lot of Richmond's side were not top young talent either. They also have plenty of guys from the rookie list and late in the national draft playing well for them. Seems like an easy excuse to blame the lack of draft capital. Tigers are a system team and that's what won on the night.

I was, but I thought we had a different team this time that wouldn't allow richmond to take the game away from them.
And then Selwood turns it over with THAT handball from the centre and I knew nothing had changed. We lost it there.

I sunk into my couch when that happened, hands went up in the air and said “that’s us done”.

I actually don’t think (other than the interchange cap) there has been a particular great change in the fitness side of the game over the last decade - particularly compared to the prior decade.

Essentially, I don’t think the game changed enough between 2011 and 2017 to be considered different eras.
I reckon it has a lot. Just my opinion though.
Look at it this way. Blitz would be our first picked player every week and all our coaches favourite player.
Go back to 2007, do you think he'd get a game?
Would Ling get a game now? Or Crowley? Just in the space of 6-7 seasons taggers are gone.
Ling has the tank but too slow.
No club wanted Menegola about 6 years ago, now is almost A grade.
I'd be scared that Bartel wouldn't have even a decent career if he was drafted now.
Too slow to play mid! Doesn't have the tank we would say.
Athleticism for skill, and tackling/pressure for skill has risen a massive amount in 10 years.
I think anyway.
Coaching and systems baby. German soccer. Boring wins now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, except for when he was too gutless to take a set shot from 25 metres out. Wow, I'm impressed. Not.

Suppose you can't blame him though when our veteran full forward does the exact same thing

Everything is easy in hindsight. Miers has nailed many similar shots in the past - ditto Hawkins.

I feel like what happened last night was really the result of what should happen when a list of players who are mostly in their prime comes up against a mixed list of ageing champions, late-pick rookies and a few genuinely good players in their late 20s.

Like it or not, Selwood, Hawkins, Harry, Hendo, Danger, Ablett and Tuohy are not the players they were at 27/28. Selwood, Harry and GAJ in particular are on their last legs compared to their formerly great selves, and it takes a while for our judgement as supporters to catch up with that.

To be honest, I think we've done phenomenally well to make the GF this year. I know the result is disappointing, but in context of the two lists who took the field, it's not an enormous shock.
Hear hear. And really, only one extraordinary team too good for us this year-so not too shabby.

Last edited:
A lot of Richmond's side were not top young talent either. They also have plenty of guys from the rookie list and late in the national draft playing well for them. Seems like an easy excuse to blame the lack of draft capital. Tigers are a system team and that's what won on the night.
It’s why when they have injuries they still win games. Everyone plays to the system. Im honestly not sure how to stop them.

Yeah, except for when he was too gutless to take a set shot from 25 metres out. Wow, I'm impressed. Not.

Suppose you can't blame him though when our veteran full forward does the exact same thing
Miers actually had more time & space then he realised, and the could have run closer to goal but seemed to rush it for some reason

Man, as disappointed as I’ve ever been as a cats fan. To capitulate in the 2nd half, in the exact same fashion as last years prelim is going to take time to get over. Whilst I’m proud of the club for getting to the big dance, to have one hand on the cup and just roll over is so disappointing. Probably our best shot with this list to jag a flag, going to be very hard to get back.
The boys tried hard, but ultimately, Martin ripped us apart, which was the difference.

I'm not sure if he's blaming a lack of draft capital. But Richmond also has Cotchin (pick 2), Martin (pick 3), Lynch (7), Prestia (9) and Vlastuin (9) still at or near the top of their games.

The only top 10 picks we have that I can think of are Selwood (7), who's on his way down, and Henderson (8), who at 30 is playing close to career-best football, which doesn't say a lot for his career up to now.

EDIT: Dangerfield was 10 also.

Last edited:
Miers actually had more time & space then he realised, and the could have run closer to goal but seemed to rush it for some reason
The rushing is the frustrating part. Why act like we are 2 goals down with 1 minute to play. Go back and compose yourself.
Hopefully he learns from it. But otherwise he was good last night.

So according to this both Scott and Danger agreed he should stay at FF in the 3rd, thats really strange that Danger would want that rather than being in the action.

I've seen a couple of comments on Twitter regarding Dangerfield's game and they make sense upon reflection - while it was only early in the match, after his clash with Vlastuin he didn't look himself

He started in an aggressive & attacking manner, but after that it's that he was necessarily hesitant or that he went into his shell, but he didn't seem to show that same attack on the ball

I wonder if that played into the decision to keep him forward for longer periods, because he just didn't look the same attack on the ball player that we normally see

I think that says more about Richmond than it does about us. Richmond have done an utterly phenomenal job with Balta, Graham, Broad, Short and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back