Geelong Midfield 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

The bye didn;t just assist that, it enabled that to happen. There's a reason it's never happened before and it's all ab out the bye.

Finishing top 4 means very little any more.

It will all be able finishing top 8 and finding a way not go interstate.
The Dogs beat WC, Hawthorn, and Sydney fair and square. All in the same position bye-wise.

The bye didn;t just assist that, it enabled that to happen. There's a reason it's never happened before and it's all ab out the bye.

Yeah was all the bye, the Dogs are not even any good. Without the bye the Eagles would have have won by 15-20 goals, not get pumped. And Hawthorn would have beat the Dogs too, because I think they didn't get the bye.

Geelong have a good midfield, but it lacks depth. As does their side in general, their fringe players are pretty average

I can't believe no-one has mentioned their coach?

Massively overrated, he won a flag with a list that would probably still win if Justin Leppitsch was coach. What has he done since? He goes overboard with the early retirement of players and is far too reliant on topping up. They have one of the worst young crops in the competition and once their premiership stars move on they're going to be found out massively.

To be fair to our coach he took over a team who were seen as finished at the end of 2010, and were given very little hope to win the next year.... Now overall i think Scotty is no more then a good solid afl coach ( most certainly not in the top 3 like ) but credit where its due he no doubt changed our game style to good affect when he took over.

Massively overrated, he won a flag with a list that would probably still win if Justin Leppitsch was coach. What has he done since? He goes overboard with the early retirement of players and is far too reliant on topping up. They have one of the worst young crops in the competition and once their premiership stars move on they're going to be found out massively.

Interesting comparing Guthrie and Caddie statistically, Caddie is actually better in nearly every area but the disposal efficiency is quite a bit lower which is obviously one of the more important ones. But I do think they should have kept Caddie, his growth was steady enough as a player until this year, but it could have been just a bump in the road.

Interesting comparing Guthrie and Caddie statistically, Caddie is actually better in nearly every area but the disposal efficiency is quite a bit lower which is obviously one of the more important ones. But I do think they should have kept Caddie, his growth was steady enough as a player until this year, but it could have been just a bump in the road.

I'd have preferred to keep him
There seems to be this growing attitude in football that if someone isn't a world beater, they.must be s**t. Newsflash - few if any teams have more than a handful of world beaters. If you are playing a role, it doesn't matter how big the wraps on you are or were, you can contribute.

That said, I think he is a player we CAN cover.

Dangerwood are elite. They just need the next tier in Duncan, Motflop, Menegola, Blicavs, Guthrie and co to step-up.

IMO there is no place for Caddy in that midfield, especially with Menegola looking like quite a good player.

Duncan will become elite next year. Love the way he goes about it.

Caddy wasn't that good and Smedts is no big loss. I expect top 4 again next year.

Sorry but Duncan isn't getting any better.

As for the Caddy trade, trading out a required midfielder while still under contract and required as we need inside midfielders for pick 24 is as dumb as it gets.

I expect a 5-10 finish for Geelong next year unfortunately.

Caddy was about our sixth best midfielder we didnt need another grunt filled dangerwood.

He was the best midfielder as a forward (besides dangerwood again of course). Its our forward line that is taking the hit not our midfield.

What we needed was for guthrie and duncan to finish the year better or motlop to get fit, we need to convert dangerwood grunt into clean passage to goal.

Caddy is a loss but not a big one he was not one of our worse 10 players but he was one of the 10 most replaceble/least valuable. Richmond will use him more effectively then we did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hang on mate, hang on. Under Chris Scott they've played in a premiership, an elimination Final, a preliminary Final, a semi final, missed the finals, and a preliminary Final. They've been a side that's challenged comprehensively and topping up got them from outside the top 8 in 2015 to top 4 in 2016. I don't care what anyone says, the results are there.

You've got to remember, once you get to finals the players really need to take the onus themselves to win. Especially if you're top 4. The coaching can't change that, by that point of the year the structures, processes, and game plan is solidified. It's up to the 22 on the park to get the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but Duncan isn't getting any better.

As for the Caddy trade, trading out a required midfielder while still under contract and required as we need inside midfielders for pick 24 is as dumb as it gets.

I expect a 5-10 finish for Geelong next year unfortunately.

We then upgraded their pick 64 coz getting pick 24 was far too good for Caddy.
The upgrade is as dumb as it gets.

The Dogs were better than 7th, they slipped that far because of injuries.

Absolutely yes way is the Dogs list better than Geelong, right across the board.

I dont think so.

Geelong's forward line is much better.

The dogs list is a lot more even but there are definitely a few top end and KP players that kind of balance things up for the Cats.
Agree. A commentator, can't remember who, said the WB are a team of rovers. Elite runners, versatile, skilled, and nimble. The forward line is really versatile. Geelong needs to get their forwards dangerous, and they need huge drive from their defence with their midfielders able to kick 2 goals a game each.

Agree. A commentator, can't remember who, said the WB are a team of rovers. Elite runners, versatile, skilled, and nimble. The forward line is really versatile. Geelong needs to get their forwards dangerous, and they need huge drive from their defence with their midfielders able to kick 2 goals a game each.

Outside of Bontempelli I think if you were putting together a combined team, players like selwood, danger, Hawkins, Taylor, probably Menzel and even the ruck duo of Smith and Stanley would be among the first picked in their respective parts of the ground.
After that it would become a Bulldogs fest as their next level is very very even and better than Geelong's.

Personally I think Scott Selwood is a list clogger who shouldn't be best 22 and that Dangerfield and J Selwood should play a lot more forward in first halves of games and dead rubbers to help grow the spread of performers.

If he can get fitness, Scott Selwood can play as an AFL quality lock down stopper, who gets a bit of the ball.

The problem is how he gets rid of it. He is simply not AFL quality in regards to disposals. Would have been a really good 80's and 90's scagger where up and unders into the fwd line was acceptable.

Really do think Dangerfield's recruitment will have similar results to Judds at Carlton (excepting that this year they had a real opportunity to win it, in that its going to stop them sliding right down the ladder but with the old guards retirement, no real chance to win it with the further evolution of GWS/Bulldogs/Melbourne/GC.

At the time no one saw it like that though. Ablett and bomber gone, Harley retired, otters and ling and Scarlett approaching retirement. At the time the cats were seen as too old and too slow. In hindsight it's easy to look back and think it would have been easy but at the start of the season the cats weren't seem as having too much of a chance.

Also since taking over Geelong has missed the finals once. This is a team who every year people predict will plummet. Chris Scott may not be an amazing coach but I think he has done well in keeping the cats competitive. They could easily have become another Brisbane. Look at Geelongs retirements the last five years and not even the most optimistic supporter would have thought they would be doing as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back