Review Geelong tries its best to lose and finds a way to stagger to a 4 point win over Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. If you think that was chip kicking then I'd love to see you kick.
It was 40m bullet after 40m bullet.
We can keep it from the personalizing I think.
If you knew me you would regret that statement.
If the players didn't kick backward toward Melbourne's goalsquare we would have won by 3 goals.

I think this is really important and is why I'm pretty skeptical that rule changes will make that much of a difference. CS has been explicit about this for a long time: footy in the 90s was really dumb. You can't put the genie back in the bottle of coaches and players thinking about the game in a more systematic, analytical way.

So as a neutral - you didnt enjoy say Tony Modra taking those screamers on a regular occurrence - oh no that was dumb football

What game are we supposed to be following - your consistent thesis might carry a tiny bit of weight if we are playing rugby union - maybe if the Cats were playing Gordon or Eastern Suburbs you might be happy

However i thought Geelong were in the Australian Rules comp - not the rugby union or a bastarrdisation of both codes.

This might sound like an idiotic thing to say - because in the example i will give it was to Geelongs detriment

In the final desperate minutes of the 2013 PF - Mitch Duncan kicked a couple of absolute bombs in from full back - and Ben Stratton ( from those monster kick ins ) took a couple of terrific one grab - strong overhead contested marks - now if you are a neutral watching that you would say - how exciting is that - thats what i want to watch . Not the FB kicking some 15 metre pass to the back pocket - rinse and repeat all over the ground .- where is the remote - i will switch it to the NRL
I would I’ve preferred that we played it safe and won the game.

The greater popularity of the game back then was a by-product of the tribalism between the two competing sides and their supporters, with the main emphasis being on the competition rather than is now the case the TV spectacle for non-involved third parties.
You wanted a war and a win. A spectacule was second to all of that.

Ablett created a few spectacles but never won that Cats team a GF.

With three first-round picks in the 2020 draft, this just might be the year to tank.

Let's do it. 2020 is going to be an abomination of a season so we should be thinking of next year.

The downside is that we won't have much chance to assess the potential draftees. But I reckon they should still be able to hold some form of Draft Combine.

Let's do it. 2020 is going to be an abomination of a season so we should be thinking of next year.

The downside is that we won't have much chance to assess the potential draftees. But I reckon they should still be able to hold some form of Draft Combine.
This is GAJ's last season, I believe, and I think while he , Danger and Selwood are alive, this season is alive, and as we only have 13 more games to endure, anything is possible.
Port is the team to beat, and good luck to them, but this time last year we were too. I was very pleased to see Guthrie, the most maligned star in the comp, gain 10 Coaches votes today. Along with Duncan and Parfitt, all is not that bad for us.

This is GAJ's last season, I believe, and I think while he , Danger and Selwood are alive, this season is alive, and as we only have 13 more games to endure, anything is possible.
Port is the team to beat, and good luck to them, but this time last year we were too. I was very pleased to see Guthrie, the most maligned star in the comp, gain 10 Coaches votes today. Along with Duncan and Parfitt, all is not that bad for us.

I'm not discounting a dramatic change of form, but with the weirdness that is season 2020 do you think it would mean very much if somehow we won the flag at an empty MCG in November?

I'm not discounting a dramatic change of form, but with the weirdness that is season 2020 do you think it would mean very much if somehow we won the flag at an empty MCG in November?
I would regard it as the MOST meritorious flag ever. To win against all this adversity, and to come out on top would be huge for me.
It could be in Adelaide for all I care.

I would regard it as the MOST meritorious flag ever. To win against all this adversity, and to come out on top would be huge for me.

Fair enough for your opinion.

I reckon we are kinda just going through the motions and everyone will put this season behind us with the winner getting an asterisk next to their name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough for your opinion.

I reckon we are kinda just going through the motions and everyone will put this season behind us with the winner getting an asterisk next to their name.
No asterisk if the season gets completed.

So as a neutral - you didnt enjoy say Tony Modra taking those screamers on a regular occurrence - oh no that was dumb football

What game are we supposed to be following - your consistent thesis might carry a tiny bit of weight if we are playing rugby union - maybe if the Cats were playing Gordon or Eastern Suburbs you might be happy

However i thought Geelong were in the Australian Rules comp - not the rugby union or a bastarrdisation of both codes.
Tactical aspects of the 80’s and 90’s football were terrible ...you can not deny that

while the game has become overly defensive at this stage, it is the consequences of the game growing up to professionals standards.

I’m sure in time the offensive side will balance it out.

Coaches thu=is season in particular, almost have to coach to not lose, and then to win. The lack of adequate preseason is killing the skills under pressure, and what CS set out to do yesterday, was nearly perfect. That almost 4 goal lead we had was well coached and executed. The final 5 minutes was near disaster, but purely poor execution of skills.

Tactical aspects of the 80’s and 90’s football were terrible ...you can not deny that

while the game has become overly defensive at this stage, it is the consequences of the game growing up to professionals standards.

What with players actually playing in their proper positions ?

Because the current "game" is so shiithouse - some - including Chris Scott are saying have 16 a side - well why not go one better and make it 15 a side - and then you have actually got Rugby Union

AblEtt won all 4 prelims he played in. Scotts dour defensive no risk footy has lost all 4 prelims it has been the teams ethos.

Yes, and Clarkson's defence-first, keepings-off-possession-football won three premierships.

Geelong played keepings-off this weekend for obvious reasons. They reckoned that Melbourne's speed, and regular first use of the ball through Gawn, would cut them open. So they decided to deny Melbourne the ball and stoppage domination through a possession merry-go-round. Not pretty, but it worked—Geelong won the game.

Scott will likely do the same thing against teams he feels might exploit us in the same way. Against other teams, we will probably see a mixture of risk-averse football and more open football. And against other teams or in different game situations, more attacking.

You and others like to paint Scott as a Ross Lyon type —defence at all costs. This claim doesn't tally with reality. Geelong was the second-highest scoring team last season and are currently the second-highest scoring team this season. He does err on the side of defence, it's true, but he's no miser.

You might also like to keep in mind that games plans are developed around what coaches have at their disposal. What Geelong don't have a lot of is pace, which is what you need to play the type of game plan you crave.

You wanted a war and a win. A spectacule was second to all of that.

Ablett created a few spectacles but never won that Cats team a GF.
Nah he didn't. Actually nearly got us one though lol.
Speaking for myself and noone else I'd take the Ablett years over a flag if it was some kind of magical choice.
Amazing times.
Would not be into this club or sport, posting on a Geelong footy site every day if not for him.

Yes, and Clarkson's defence-first, keepings-off-possession-football won three premierships.

Geelong played keepings-off this weekend for obvious reasons. They reckoned that Melbourne's speed, and regular first use of the ball through Gawn, would cut them open. So they decided to deny Melbourne the ball and stoppage domination through a possession merry-go-round. Not pretty, but it worked—Geelong won the game.

Scott will likely do the same thing against teams he feels might exploit us in the same way. Against other teams, we will probably see a mixture of risk-averse football and more open football. And against other teams or in different game situations, more attacking.

You and others like to paint Scott as a Ross Lyon type —defence at all costs. This claim doesn't tally with reality. Geelong was the second-highest scoring team last season and are currently the second-highest scoring team this season. He does err on the side of defence, it's true, but he's no miser.

You might also like to keep in mind that games plans are developed around what coaches have at their disposal. What Geelong don't have a lot of is pace, which is what you need to play the type of game plan you crave.
We played some rippers last year. Games against Hawthorn, Essendon and some others were great to watch.
Problem is when he goes hardcore he's actually the worst. Worse than a Ross Lyon or a Paul Roos.
There was a game against Freo last year that was just an abortion of a game.
Think we set a record for playing on the least on record. Geelong doing this!!

So Clarko is one coach who DID, by design, introduce more congestion to the game through defence first, keepings off, possession football?

Yeah I don't get how people can say that. Having less games and shorter quarters means luck is more likely to play a factor. The more games the less chance comes into it.

Disagree totally. They still had tactics. They were just different.

Number one (and probably, two, three, and four) was get the ball to your matchwinners. Closely followed by kick a winning score. Does not mean there weren't tactics. And they were evolving all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back