Preview Geelong v Collingwood Thursday July 16 at Optus stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're living in the past, Kolo has come on enormously
I wouldn't have thought so. In fact I think it's quite the opposite ... he's stagnated.

The Pies are still my tip for the flag.

If we get anywhere within 3 goals we've done a good job
Oh boy not one of these guys. Totally don’t understand this mentality. Gaz Ablett came back for a flag . Selwood and co want a flag. Geelong topped up with Steven & Jenkins for a flag. Only a win will do!
Someone said they would accept 3-4 goal loss at half time against Brisbane. Look what happened. Maybe we will lose but let’s not accept it before the ball is bounced! Good golly!

Oh boy not one of these guys. Totally don’t understand this mentality. Gaz Ablett came back for a flag . Selwood and co want a flag. Geelong topped up with Steven & Jenkins for a flag. Only a win will do!
Someone said they would accept 3-4 goal loss at half time against Brisbane. Look what happened. Maybe we will lose but let’s not accept it before the ball is bounced! Good golly!
Mate I backed us against Brisbane. We're not on Collingwood's level.

Somehow all our defenders are sh*t except Stewart.

Some posters have problems with Taylor some with Kolo some with Bews. etc (speaking as a collective group)

Yet one thing remains consistent we have one of the best defensive units in the AFL every year.

Now i agree we don't all ways go in with the right balance but that doesn't make our entire backline sh*t
Statistically I think we have had the best defence the last 2 years. Yet it’s game plan of moving it slowly and not wanting to turn it over as the main reason for that rather than our defensive unit per se. I agree they are good as a unit, however moving the ball out of the back half is a bit stale and safe.
I wouldn’t change the defence this week remember the qualifying final blicavs to wing moment. Our defence was all at sea in that first 15 minutes against Collingwood. Don’t do it again!

Their forward mix is quite eclectic but doesn’t look too scary imo.
When comparing it to our slow, tall backline it does. They've got too many weapons down there who are all quick and apply heaps of pressure. Once the ball hits the ground we're in trouble.

Add to that Grundy against Fort in the ruck with a potent midfield and even the most optomistic of supporters couldn't back us.

When comparing it to our slow, tall backline it does. They've got too many weapons down there who are all quick and apply heaps of pressure. Once the ball hits the ground we're in trouble.
Yeah they will try and honour the lead and agree Stephenson & Elliot need to be clamped down because they’re zippy. I guess O’ Connor & Bews will get the job.

Yeah they will try and honour the lead and agree Stephenson & Elliot need to be clamped down because they’re zippy. I guess O’ Connor & Bews will get the job.
It's a big ground too and we're a slow side in general. We've also lost our best ball user in Duncan.

I'm generally an optomist but I just can't see us getting within a bulls roar, particularly at Optus.

The make-up of our side needs the smaller grounds. If somehow finals are played on the SCG, AO or KP we're a huge chance.

I don't know who's available for each side. At all.
But if Moore is playing I hope we have a plan to not kick it down his throat.

He's starting to remind me of Taylor and ranch at their peak with regards to intercepts.
Maybe sav can sit on his head.

Add to that Grundy against Fort in the ruck with a potent midfield and even the most optomistic of supporters couldn't back us.
I wonder if we can tag Grundy? Just tell Fort don’t allow Grundy to get BOG and you’ve done your job. Would be good experiment. Talking of experiments stubborn Scott to put blicavs to a wing at some stage. I reckon he will do it.

It's a big ground too and we're a slow side in general. We've also lost our best ball user in Duncan.

I'm generally an optomist but I just can't see us getting within a bulls roar, particularly at Optus.

The make-up of our side needs the smaller grounds. If somehow finals are played on the SCG, AO or KP we're a huge chance.
We aren't a slow side. But I do agree we like to control the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know who's available for each side. At all.
But if Moore is playing I hope we have a plan to not kick it down his throat.

He's starting to remind me of Taylor and ranch at their peak with regards to intercepts.
Maybe sav can sit on his head.
AA CHB at the moment.

I wonder if we can tag Grundy? Just tell Fort don’t allow Grundy to get BOG and you’ve done your job. Would be good experiment. Talking of experiments stubborn Scott to put blicavs to a wing at some stage. I reckon he will do it.
Just as long and he doesn't select Parsons or Z.Guthrie.

Yes all good points. Definitely need some pace around the middle.

When did they improve that much? They only just beat us in finals last year, and apparently we made selection blunders, and Sidebottom is a big out for them, as is Howe. I don't pick against Pies all that often, but over there, we are a chance. We are missing Kelly from last year, but Menegola and Guthrie are enjoying MF roles, as is Parfitt. Without Duncan, it would sway me to select Pies, it could be that close. If he has any possible hammy, no way should he be tested this week. But they know better than anyone how at risk he is.

Last edited:

I've heard this being said throughout the weekend as the reason we did well Thursday night and whilst we generally have struggled on bigger grounds in previous seasons I feel we have improved in that regard starting from last year. Unless I'm missing something its complete misinformation regarding the SCG being firstly compared to GMHBA and then being called a small ground.

20200712_132725.jpg
The reason we've struggled in previous seasons has been from covering the ground width wise. So regarding struggling this week against the Pies at Optus I don't think the ground size will be our downfall, since it's 6m Shorter in width than SCG which we managed to cover just fine against a reasonably young and quick team in Brisbane.
You can also see that dimension wise SCG is in no way similar to GMHBA or Adelaide Oval and far closer to the MCG in dimensions.

So, whilst we may indeed lose to Collingwood I'd say it'd be more than likely because we don't mentally rock up to play intense footy for a large majority of the game, which I believe is a far greater problem than the ground size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back