Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a huge call. Even I questioned why I thought that to be the case, given the 07 margin was an extra 38 pts.

Firstly, 81 pts is a huge margin but we probably should have won by even more. 6 or 7 of our missed shots were from very gettable angles.

Secondly, our ferocity and tackling pressure is something that wasn't present in our mighty 07-11 sides. We just brutalised them at every contest. Even when tackled we forced our way out of it and kept moving the ball forward. It was men vs boys stuff.

Thirdly, you could see Sydney trying to work their way back into the game. However, everytime they did we'd shut any potential play down with a strong tackle by Kolo, Duncan, O'connor or intercepting mark by De koning, Henry.

Whilst Sydney obviously could have played much better, I didn't think it was as much a case of 'not showing up to play' as Port Adelaide were.

Of course, all of this could very much be recent bias, but it's just the feeling I had watching the game.
Normally you don't need an excuse to watch a replay of 2007 but this is one of them.

0_GettyImages-1426827607.jpg

Geez I love this photo.... just everything
Seeing Geelong are Premiers - its definitely Bragging time and Big Noting time

Now here are a couple - that picture of Tuohy with the Green Irish colours - youd think our win would get plenty of traction in Ireland ( and if anybody has access to Irish newspaper reports of the Cats win then put them on this thread ) because we have got 2 of their players - and Zac has been around for a long time - plus OConnor who was a champion schoolboy athlete/footballer over their . And i can remember when he was going to sign ( several clubs were chasing him ) and he said - look - we ( the Irish players ) all know who the top clubs are - and we all want to go to the top clubs - thats why he picked Geelong

Now here is one for our Soccer fans - about 15 years ago approx - i was right into the EPL - simply because a couple of gun Aust players Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell ( and there were a couple of other Aust players there as well ) were playing for Leeds United - so id watch them each week . And Leeds for a short while had a big central defender Rio Ferdinand - they sold him to Man United - and thats where he made his name - legendary player - played in all their big title wins

And around 2007/11 - when Geel won 84 out of 90 games or something like that - but Kevin Sheedy was over their in the UK touring football clubs - in particular Man United . And i can remember reading it in the paper - there was direct quotes from him . And he said he met Rio - and Sheedy said to him hes connected to the AFL - and Rio said to him - oh thats Geelong and that

The Mighty Cats hey - known for their achievements worldwide - and in Rios eyes - we are the AFL - ha-ha-ha

Swans did well to keep it under a ton
That is every bit a hundred point belting
Be interesting to compare match stats from both games

Evening all, remember when we won 16 games straight en route to the 2022 AFL premiership?
Sorry, I might need to refresh my memory by watching all 16 again from the beginning.

Sorry, I might need to refresh my memory by watching all 16 again from the beginning.
Watched the doggies 3rd quarter last night. Definitely one of the best quarters of the season.

I've done this with the minis.
REALLY wish you could just queue up a bunch of games and watch them all in a row, I don't know how many but 16 seems a nice even number.
I just feel like 17 would be too many and 15 too few. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting watching the game back now a few weeks post-result. One thing that surprised me: When watching the game, I just couldn't bring myself to be comfortable about the result until the end of the third quarter. But now watching it back, I should've really known it was a certainty half way through the second. There were just so many signs that the Cats weren't going to let it slip, really. The first quarter was a total belting. Night and day. Absolute one-sided affair. The bang-and-crash footy from Zuthrie/Stanley/Stewart - gee I wish we could bottle that.
I loved when Close marked the ball across the goal line. Similar moment in 2007 when Junior did a similar thing. Completely deflating for Sydney to do that in a Grand Final.

Some of the swans players looked genuinely violated after the game, and most of them looked like they were in a daze after about half time. Sydney are a proud team so I imagine having their heart ripped out with little struggle like that will probably take a while for them to move on from. It wasn't just a physical domination, it was mental as well, Sydney had absolutely no answers to anything we did. I cant recall Geelong so effectively bullying another team another like that for quite some time. I almost feel sorry for them.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We jumped them in the first , second was even - they were probably optimistic about the second half.
Our 3rd was total domination at 39 points to one - we only allowed them 4 inside 50's for the quarter :eek:
Being there you could see our intensity at the contest and man all over the field , all game - that's the most ruthless I've seen us for an awfully long time :thumbsu: Didn't let them kick 2 in a row all game.
We didn't buy in to any pre match push and shove - all our players kept focus on the centre of the ground - great to witness.

Could tell by Luke Parker’s scared eyes as he lined up in the centre square, 3rd quarter that Sydney lacked the fortitude and firepower to mount a fight back.

Been waiting for someone to post a gif of Parker mocking Dylan Shiels earlier this year; Sydney’s effort was weaker than anything the insipid Bombers mid served up in 2022.

Could tell by Luke Parker’s scared eyes as he lined up in the centre square, 3rd quarter that Sydney lacked the fortitude and firepower to mount a fight back.

Been waiting for someone to post a gif of Parker mocking Dylan Shiels earlier this year; Sydney’s effort was weaker than anything the insipid Bombers mid served up in 2022.
1664919594413.png

Seen this pre-game tip while looking for the image:
My tip....Brian Taylor will be nauseating....Swans in a tight one. Luke Parker to back up the taunting of Dylan Shiel with the match winner and Norm Smith

It's interesting watching the game back now a few weeks post-result. One thing that surprised me: When watching the game, I just couldn't bring myself to be comfortable about the result until the end of the third quarter. But now watching it back, I should've really known it was a certainty half way through the second. There were just so many signs that the Cats weren't going to let it slip, really. The first quarter was a total belting. Night and day. Absolute one-sided affair. The bang-and-crash footy from Zuthrie/Stanley/Stewart - gee I wish we could bottle that.
I loved when Close marked the ball across the goal line. Similar moment in 2007 when Junior did a similar thing. Completely deflating for Sydney to do that in a Grand Final.

I said to my brother at the game when we were up 2 goals to 1 that the Swans were just barely hanging on, all the signs were already very very good.

Of course we also were telling everyone at the Duke before the game that the game had serious Port vibes about it :cool:

I still didn't relax until that Close intercept goal of course.

MattTbone if your Youtube account is ''Jehsepi'' then I have been a big fan of your documentation of Geelong highlights and milestones for a long time; great work.

I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere or not, but it is a really good, succinct edit of Geelong's 2022 season; top notch highlights package.

MattTbone if your Youtube account is ''Jehsepi'' then I have been a big fan of your documentation of Geelong highlights and milestones for a long time; great work.

I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere or not, but it is a really good, succinct edit of Geelong's 2022 season; top notch highlights package.

Great video.
What an amazing year. Completely dominated. Probably even surpasses 07 for me.

0_GettyImages-1426827607.jpg

Geez I love this photo.... just everything
Hopefully every hopeful Gaelic footballer in Ireland sees that photo and asks “What do I have to do to sign up with Geelong?”

The only downside of the GF is bloody Brayshaw's call at the end when the siren goes.

"Geelong fans, stand up to your full height."

What in the name of all that is holy is that BS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back