No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong don't want to improve WCE's list in any form. They will get him to Freo or keep him, as is their prerogative.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
They keep him for a year and then lose him to the eagles, most likely for less than what the eagles offered this year.
He’ll be out of contract and you imagine no other club would stand in his way.
It’s an odd stance from the Cats, particularly when most clubs in this day and age are sympathetic to the (genuine) go home factor (see Ablett, Beams).
It’s just being pigheaded. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kelly’s motivation levels/output next year are somewhat less than this year’s. I’m sure he is professional but he wouldn’t be human if he harboured some resentment.

Nup - he owes Geelong to see out his contract - remember neither of the WA clubs had been prepared to take a chance on him, he'd probably be running around in the WAFL next season if not for the Cats.

You nominate for the draft full well knowing the rules - if you aren't prepared to move, simples, don't nominate. Play WAFL. To easy.

Compare Hawthorn's handling of B Hill for a lousy 30+ pick
Geelong were essentially offered 3 very good second round picks for Kelly. They will regret the decision to not trade him massively in 2 years time

It is only a year...

Nup - he owes Geelong to see out his contract - remember neither of the WA clubs had been prepared to take a chance on him, he'd probably be running around in the WAFL next season if not for the Cats.

You nominate for the draft full well knowing the rules - if you aren't prepared to move, simples, don't nominate. Play WAFL. To easy.

Nah, after Kelly’s 2017 WAFL season he definitely would’ve been drafted.

Credit to Geelong though, they were the first to take him and have every right to hold him to his contract.

Rubbish. West Coast had a pick a couple of places after Geelong’s and were planning on picking him with it. It was Geelong who knew the risks picking a West Australian but did it anyway. Freo didn’t want him because Ross is a ******* idiot who told Kelly to his face he wouldn’t make it.

Geelong would be nuts not to accept eagles offer of 20 and 22 for kelly. Kelly peaked this year and will be found out soon enough, there is little upside.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Geelong set a price high enough that Kelly was forced to stay.

They're not crazy - they got exactly what they wanted.

Reckon Swans may drop away next year, really strange trade period when they have glaring holes in their list

You'd think so. Midfield is tough and skilled, but slow as shite. Buddy is starting to show signs of slowing a little and he doesn't have much to help him. They'd have hoped he had snagged them a premiership by now. They could scrape the eight, but I reckon there are 8 teams comfortably better than them.

The AFL won't save them this slide. They've got too many other interstate teams to look after.

You'd think so. Midfield is tough and skilled, but slow as shite. Buddy is starting to show signs of slowing a little and he doesn't have much to help him. They'd have hoped he had snagged them a premiership by now. They could scrape the eight, but I reckon there are 8 teams comfortably better than them.

The AFL won't save them this slide. They've got too many other interstate teams to look after.

Agreed. Cant look after them all. Expect they will let them fall for a year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never hang on to a player who doesn't want to be there! Good player, far from a star some people make him out to be. Picks 20 and 22 was a completely fair trade. Hope he walks out on the cats next year and they get nothing for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do have another highly-rated Academy gift coming in Blakey. Must feel nice knowing the system has your back.

Never hang on to a player who doesn't want to be there! Good player, far from a star some people make him out to be. Picks 20 and 22 was a completely fair trade. Hope he walks out on the cats next year and they get nothing for him.
That would make him a self obsessed flog and the toxic sort of prick that you would want as far away from your footy club as humanly possible.

I hear he is doing his preseason in Perth so all indications so far are that may be the case.

Rubbish. West Coast had a pick a couple of places after Geelong’s and were planning on picking him with it. It was Geelong who knew the risks picking a West Australian but did it anyway. Freo didn’t want him because Ross is a ******* idiot who told Kelly to his face he wouldn’t make it.
Source?

Draft board Kelly trade thread.
Quoting Big Footy now?

Oh, for the days we laughed at Wiki.

I would suggest to you my friend, that unless you have some information from within the WCE recruiting/coaching team - your assertion is nothing but supposition.

For one year.
Then he walks, for considerably less than what they would have got now.
Because Geelong are in premiership contention right now right?
As I say, nuts.

It might be nuts, but I'm glad Geelong stood firm.

It is supposed to be a national draft and I'm all for discouraging the idea that players can have a mindset of leaving after 1 year back to their home state for personal reasons when their circumstances haven't really changed since nominating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back