No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be nuts, but I'm glad Geelong stood firm.

It is supposed to be a national draft and I'm all for discouraging the idea that players can have a mindset of leaving after 1 year back to their home state for personal reasons when their circumstances haven't really changed since nominating.
I'm with you on this. He wanted to go home for personal and family reasons. Geelong were willing to trade to Freo but he only wanted to go to WCE. If you are in such a desparate need to go home you would think he would go to either. Good on Geelong for keeping him.

Is it any wonder that so many players for the two Adelaide teams ask to be traded. The way they treat guys who leave makes you wonder what its like being around those clubs.

I much prefer the Hawthorn way of wishing guys well at their new clubs. The SA teams and people associated with them seem to struggle doing that and take pot shots at guys instead

Is it any wonder that so many players for the two Adelaide teams ask to be traded. The way they treat guys who leave makes you wonder what its like being around those clubs.

I much prefer the Hawthorn way of wishing guys well at their new clubs. The SA teams and people associated with them seem to struggle doing that and take pot shots at guys instead

Damn, I've missed something juicy :p Who took potshots at who?

Nup - he owes Geelong to see out his contract - remember neither of the WA clubs had been prepared to take a chance on him, he'd probably be running around in the WAFL next season if not for the Cats.

You nominate for the draft full well knowing the rules - if you aren't prepared to move, simples, don't nominate. Play WAFL. To easy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rubbish. West Coast had a pick a couple of places after Geelong’s and were planning on picking him with it. It was Geelong who knew the risks picking a West Australian but did it anyway. Freo didn’t want him because Ross is a ******* idiot who told Kelly to his face he wouldn’t make it.

Source?

Draft board Kelly trade thread.

Quoting Big Footy now?

Oh, for the days we laughed at Wiki.

I would suggest to you my friend, that unless you have some information from within the WCE recruiting/coaching team - your assertion is nothing but supposition.

Yeah lots of posters on the wce board back this up.

http://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-11-07/kelly-firming-as-first-matureage-pick

https://www.thewest.com.au/sport/we...ays-list-guru-chris-pelchen-ng-b88637354z.amp

I’m sure Tim Kelly was thinking that when he asked to return home
He should of saved his sorry arse for the WAFL if that was the case.

There is no corellation between the two cases - one has done * all in his career and needs to prove himself, the other is Sam Mitchell.

If WCE want him, they pay for him.

He should of saved his sorry arse for the WAFL if that was the case.

There is no corellation between the two cases - one has done **** all in his career and needs to prove himself, the other is Sam Mitchell.

If WCE want him, they pay for him.

Bit hypocritical mate, Sam was only in year two at WC, his Hawthorn history doesn't matter to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit hypocritical mate, Sam was only in year two at WC, his Hawthorn history doesn't matter to them

Disagree. Clubs invest a lot in players, Sam Mitchell was investing more in WCE than they were with him. In addition, the SCats gave up a high pick for Kelly and the Eagles nothing for Mitch to be a coach. Nothing similar about the situations at all...

Disagree. Clubs invest a lot in players, Sam Mitchell was investing more in WCE than they were with him. In addition, the SCats gave up a high puck for Kelly and the Eagles nothing for Mitch to be a coach. Nothing similar about the situations at all...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree. Clubs invest a lot in players, Sam Mitchell was investing more in WCE than they were with him. In addition, the SCats gave up a high pick for Kelly and the Eagles nothing for Mitch to be a coach. Nothing similar about the situations at all...
Both
Moved his family across the country for a football opportunity.
Family didn't cope well and wanted to go home.
Approached club about move
One got to go home
One didn't

WC paid a low pick for Mitch and got a year as a player and a year as a coach. The plan was for 4 years.
Notsure how you can think the club weren't investing in him.
Add to that he has WC IP and is going to a competitor in a coaching role and you can understand why WC were upset about losing him, not to mention the good work he was doing.

Geelong paid a higher pick for Kelly, pick 24
They got a year of footy out of him and thought getting 20 and 22 back wasn't a good enough return on their one year investment.
Didn't want to lose him which is fine that's not my point.

My point is what's the difference between the Mitchell and Kelly situations? I say * all when you look at it objectively

Both
Moved his family across the country for a football opportunity.
Family didn't cope well and wanted to go home.
Approached club about move
One got to go home
One didn't

WC paid a low pick for Mitch and got a year as a player and a year as a coach. The plan was for 4 years.
Notsure how you can think the club weren't investing in him.
Add to that he has WC IP and is going to a competitor in a coaching role and you can understand why WC were upset about losing him, not to mention the good work he was doing.

Geelong paid a higher pick for Kelly, pick 24
They got a year of footy out of him and thought getting 20 and 22 back wasn't a good enough return on their one year investment.
Didn't want to lose him which is fine that's not my point.

My point is what's the difference between the Mitchell and Kelly situations? I say **** all when you look at it objectively

Nah, very different. The Eagles clearly got better because of Sam. The IP was heading one way. Objectively, it’s hard to argue any other way, than that the cases are very different.

**** me. What a clown.

My advice to all my South Australian friends is GET OUT before it's too late! The Koolaid is in your water.

I suppose you would expect me to say it isn't ;) .

There are wet arsed tantrum throwers around every club & associated with the media. Port have quite a few & it reflects badly on them. They operate in an echo chamber & are so used not to answer any criticism of their own petulant behavior.

Now, where's that bloke who is saying that we'll all be sacrificed for a higher goal? ;)

Nah, very different. The Eagles clearly got better because of Sam. The IP was heading one way. Objectively, it’s hard to argue any other way, than that the cases are very different.
What are you even arguing about?
What's your criteria for judging go home factor?

How is two contracted people wanting to go home for family reasons not situations that have similarities

Actually, the more I think about it, the pufferfish minions are acting like the petulant, spurned lover after a break up.

Kane Cornes will probably call him a dud root next.

Actually, the more I think about it, the pufferfish minions are acting like the petulant, spurned lover after a break up.

Kane Cornes will probably call him a dud root next.
Brother Chad would have told him already

I think brother Chad leaks a lot to him.

Don’t even think it’s a leak - he and Tredrea are a mouthpiece for a club to disseminate information that they then don’t have to take ownership of

Instead of comparing the situation to Mitchell why not compare it to that of Ablett? The AFL did everything in their power (Motlop = Buddy) to get him back to Geelong to be around family. Geelong couldn't even pay that forward.

I'm happy for people to break contracts.
It means you keep the people who are invested. It incentivises treating your people right and giving them a reason to stay.

(It also means the people who wouldn't never be headhunted stay as well -I get that).

But in a footy context the host club can say no. We could have said no - Burton is contracted - you can't have him. And that would have been absolutely fine, totally okay by me.

Geelong didn't want the guy to leave. He made an agreement (contract) to stay. Both parties have the option to deny a break of contract. Same with Mitchell and West Cost, Burton and Hawthorn and Wingard and Port.

Holding people to contracts they're no longer happy with is a right. If clubs aren't happy with a contracted player they'll shop him all over the joint. (See Stringer, Libba and Dalhaus for recent bulldog examples). If clubs need a contracted player they'll make it difficult (Wingard, Gibbs, Kelly).

I'm okay with all the approaches. These people know there are consequences to each approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back