No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No it doesnt. This was just a run of the mill mistake by the umpires one of many during the game. If you reverse thst decision you have to review all other decisions. how many mistakes did the essendon players make.
If that free kick -which undeniably should have been paid- had been, Essendon* would've won. There's simply no way out of that logical conclusion. You may argue the result could've flipped based on a host of other factors as well and I agree, but the final influence over the result is well... final.

Certainly the agency players themselves have over the outcome of a game dwarfs that of umpires, but to suggest the umpiring has no bearing on it at all is sheer folly. Everything that happens during the course of a game matters. Go ask St.Kilda about the Milne bounce and why it cost them a flag, or do some reading on the butterfly effect. Just because our players aren't in a position to influence every minute factor at play doesn't mean they don't exist.

I hate Essendon more than any other team by a long way. But farq me they were robbed and I'm very frustrated.

It's hard to take the game seriously any more when you have a blatant free kick not given, one that would have changed the result of the game. And then to have McFloglan come out and have the audacity to defend the decision with this 'feel of the game' nonsense is unbelievable.

I've say through six of the very worst umpired games that I can remember this season, and then this rubbish happens. It's hard to take the league seriously anymore.
Exactly. I loathe Essendon* as much as anyone, and have done more than 99% of posters here to troll the snot out of them during the Drug saga which they richly deserved, but as a matter of principle last night was a further shaker of faith that the system isn't working as it should when such a clear-cut free isn't paid directly in front of an umpire whom we know saw exactly what was happening.

Sure we can chalk it up to the Karma Bus paying Essendon* a deserved visit, but if this happened to Hawthorn I'd be absolutely ropeable. Moreover, we know from bitter experience umpires haven't shown much compunction paying match-winning free kicks against us this season, but apparently the prospect of doing so to the AFL Lovechild terrified this poor umpire so much he refused to consider it. Another blatant example of the double standards that now plague footy.

Last edited:
If that free kick -which undeniably should have been paid- had been, Essendon* would've won. There's simply no way out of that logical conclusion. You may argue the result could've flipped based on a host of other factors as well and I agree, but the final influence over the result is well... final.

Certainly the agency players themselves have over the outcome of a game dwarfs that of umpires, but to suggest the umpiring has no bearing on it at all is sheer folly. Everything that happens during the course of a game matters. Go ask St.Kilda about the Milne bounce and why it cost them a flag, or do some reading on the butterfly effect. Just because our players aren't in a position to influence every minute factor at play doesn't mean they don't exist.

Exactly. I loathe Essendon* as much as anyone, and have done more than 99% of posters here to troll the snot out of them during the Drug saga which they richly deserved, but as a matter of principle last night was a further shaker of faith that the system isn't working as it should when such a clear-cut free isn't paid directly in front of an umpire whom we know saw exactly what was happening.

Sure we can chalk it up to the Karma Bus paying Essendon* a deserved visit, but if this happened to Hawthorn I'd be absolutely ropeable. Moreover, we know from bitter experience umpires haven't shown much compunction paying match-winning free kicks against us this season, but apparently the prospect of doing so to the AFL Lovechild terrified this poor umpire so much he refused to consider it. Another blatant example of the double standards that now plague footy.
Everything affects the results however if essendon had made less mistakes they would already been in front wouldnt need the free kick. In the end the teams playing have more effect on the game. Umpires influence is minimal in comparison teams lose and win a game of football otherwise why bother right

Can’t stand * but that if that happened to us I would be filthy and I reckon everyone on this board would be too.

Let’s be honest , that non decision was only ever getting the ok from HQ for one side in the AFL and the player that climbed the post happened to be in that jumper last night.

Everything affects the results however if essendon had made less mistakes they would already been in front wouldnt need the free kick. In the end the teams playing have more effect on the game. Umpires influence is minimal in comparison teams lose and win a game of football otherwise why bother right
Well that's precisely what I'm saying. That umpiring does affect games and to suggest otherwise as many folks do is simply wrong. Lower scoring across the league means closer margins, which magnifies the effect umpiring has. That's partly why most of us are noticing bad umpiring more.

Naturally any good coach instructs his players to take matters into their own hands as much as possible and ignore things outside their control, except apparently at Geelong where flopping for frees has become an integral part of their game. (and another reason their finals record is so terrible when umpires tend to put the whistles away)

Yeah, no.
I know you like to take a holistic approach to the game, but in this context it's all immaterial.

If the umpire umpired to the rules of the game and made the correct call that Rampe infringed, then it takes Meyers to the goalsquare, after the siren, where his chance of scoring a goal goes from <5% to 99% as the mark goes from 60m from goal to 0m from goal. Then you factor in that there is no chance for Sydney to get back the lead should Meyers kick the goal from the goal line.

If the game had finished without Rampe infringing, then your holistic theory has merit.

Yeah, no.
I know you like to take a holistic approach to the game, but in this context it's all immaterial.

If the umpire umpired to the rules of the game and made the correct call that Rampe infringed, then it takes Meyers to the goalsquare, after the siren, where his chance of scoring a goal goes from <5% to 99% as the mark goes from 60m from goal to 0m from goal. Then you factor in that there is no chance for Sydney to get back the lead should Meyers kick the goal from the goal line.

If the game had finished without Rampe infringing, then your holistic theory has merit.
Yes why only this decision that was wrong what about all the other decisions that were wrong. What if only applies to the final decision? Why?

The loss to Melbourne looks even worse given this crap match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garbage. Everything in the game has an influence on the game, if the grass was 2 cm longer, the ball wouldn't have rolled to exactly where it did and a different player picks it up etc etc. The umpire has an influence on the outcome of every single game and since their decisions have become so subjective, it has destroyed any semblance of fairness when they lean a particular direction. Their influence on the game is absolute.

Yes why only this decision that was wrong what about all the other decisions that were wrong. What if only applies to the final decision? Why?
Because that decision can't be made up for by Sydney. Any decision or non-decision that resulted in a score to the other team can be countered later on by the team negatively affect, or by the umpires as an 'even-upper' (yes, they do happen).

Your POV is by someone who has never played sport and doesn't understand the influence on the game an umpire or umpires can have and you're trying to make up for that by taking this holistic approach to give the impression you understand the situation. If you'd played any competitive sport, you'd understand how ridiculous your argument is.

Don't think it was a free to Essendon. He was trying to climb the post, not shake it and did so incidentally. The same way players knocks the post, which happens a couple of times a games. Doe we start paying a free kick on the goal line every time that happens? Common sense prevails with this one.

Getting knocked in to the post and intentionally climbing one are completely different

Goodness how did we lost to Melbourne? Their forward 50 entries in the second half were atrocious!

I now have a very bad feeling about tomorrow....
We couldn't mark for s**t and we got beaten once the ball hit the deck, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back