Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Lachie has 7 years at the no salary cap club.
There is no way they an fit them all in especially as Jeremy Cameron etc will all be out of contract in 2020.
Could easily be back ended to give them $$ to win a few flags in the next 3-4, Buddy style.

Well Lachie has 7 years at the no salary cap club.
There is no way they an fit them all in especially as Jeremy Cameron etc will all be out of contract in 2020.
And the media won't say a word or even hint at the cap being tight

And the media won't say a word or even hint at the cap being tight
C’mon
They have mentioned that the last 3 years that their salary cap is tight, it’s why they trade out players EVERY year

Good on GilWS for signing up these guys on Abassadorial contracts:cool:

They wouldn’t offer 7 year contracts to guys they want to trade in 3 years
But from a risk management point of view, if those players get injured and/or have a firm downturn you get stuck with them for a long time with little hope of getting rid of them. If you are carrying one player on a long term contract you can probably get away with it. But carrying up to a third of your best 22 is crazy....assuming you operate under the normal constraints of the market...

But from a risk management point of view, if those players get injured and/or have a firm downturn you get stuck with them for a long time with little hope of getting rid of them. If you are carrying one player on a long term contract you can probably get away with it. But carrying up to a third of your best 22 is crazy....assuming you operate under the normal constraints of the market...

We all know Gil will come up with a way to free up GWS of a player on a longterm deal if he wants to. I just have a gut feel that one day in the future all this shady ambassadorial deals will be revealed. Whether it comes from a disgruntled player, player agent or team official I don't really GAF but it will be interesting to know if it ever happens. It's a shame that they have all that talent on field but still no fans to cheer them on. Maybe they will start paying fans to attend games too 😂

C’mon
They have mentioned that the last 3 years that their salary cap is tight, it’s why they trade out players EVERY year

Good on GilWS for signing up these guys on Abassadorial contracts:cool:
Trade out a couple of guys on $600k, sign 3x players to 6+ year contracts at $1m+.

Yup, your story checks out.

We got Scully and Patton for nothing because of GWS cap dumps so I don't really get all the no cap rhetoric .

Sure they get a bit of help but its not the difference in players like Cogs and Whitfield signing or leaving.

You don't sign a 7 year deal if you're not pretty happy at the place.

sure, but you can see how much less risk it is for GWS and how much nicer it is for the player when there is 300k a year that sits outside the cap which allows you to do that right? And how this leads to an in-balance in the playing field for all the other clubs right? It may very well be the difference in them signing players like cogs, yes he wouldn't stay if he wasn't happy, but even if happy he might have gone otherwise and more importantly, signed a 2 or 3 year deal to keep his options open, but there is no need for those options if you instantly have a 30% inflated salary if you stay. In his situation, most people would stay, and most people would lock in the windfall now.

This is a classic example of what happens when markets are distorted artificially to get to an outcome, the issue is that the pain to unravel these distortions is not painless nor quick.

sure, but you can see how much less risk it is for GWS and how much nicer it is for the player when there is 300k a year that sits outside the cap which allows you to do that right? And how this leads to an in-balance in the playing field for all the other clubs right? It may very well be the difference in them signing players like cogs, yes he wouldn't stay if he wasn't happy, but even if happy he might have gone otherwise and more importantly, signed a 2 or 3 year deal to keep his options open, but there is no need for those options if you instantly have a 30% inflated salary if you stay. In his situation, most people would stay, and most people would lock in the windfall now.

This is a classic example of what happens when markets are distorted artificially to get to an outcome, the issue is that the pain to unravel these distortions is not painless nor quick.

Correct. And it makes it all the sweeter when we nail picks like 45 with Worpel. Cue Gil crying salty tears into his beer.

We got Scully and Patton for nothing because of GWS cap dumps so I don't really get all the no cap rhetoric .

Sure they get a bit of help but its not the difference in players like Cogs and Whitfield signing or leaving.

I think how things are playing out at the Suns and Giants shows exactly how things work in the mind's of players.

If you are a northern franchise club and your team is doing poorly, the extra $300k a year for ambassadorial payments/AFL sponsorship assistance is not enough to keep you there, particularly on a long term contract where you may never tastes success and be too expensive to get anywhere else. If on the other hand your franchise team is doing well, it is. Throw in a longer dated contract in scenario 2 and you know you are absolutely setting yourself up for life as well, so it's bingo land !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even without the wage neither player was worth much more in a trade, as we saw from Scully last season he's now pretty average, whilst Patton is a big bloke who's done 3 ACL injuries.

Even without the wage neither player was worth much more in a trade, as we saw from Scully last season he's now pretty average, whilst Patton is a big bloke who's done 3 ACL injuries.

I don't think we saw that Scully was 'now pretty average' - he was pretty consistent with his career averages off the back of not having a pre-season.

I'll wait until this year before we judge it.

Unfortunately Gil can’t manufacture a winning culture at GWS. And these contracts are not going to help getting the right team-first ethos.

How much credibility is cogs going to have as captain when he needed an AFL bag of cash to stay? Where’s the sacrifice and group buy in going to come from?

One part of hawks success was senior players taking unders to ensure group stayed together so they could win flags.

is just frustrating that the afl keeps stuffing the integrity of the competition to chase the next tv rights deal. At some point the fans will say enough is enough - but will take time and next ceo will likely have to clean up the mess.

I don't think we saw that Scully was 'now pretty average' - he was pretty consistent with his career averages off the back of not having a pre-season.

I'll wait until this year before we judge it.

Look at numbers all you like and running distances etc, we all know he wasn't in the top 10 players in a team that didn't play finals.

What I can give you is, yeah maybe I should wait 12 months and see if we get significant improvement in 2020.

Look at numbers all you like and running distances etc, we all know he wasn't in the top 10 players in a team that didn't play finals.

What I can give you is, yeah maybe I should wait 12 months and see if we get significant improvement in 2020.

FFS the guys foot was pointing in the wrong direction 18-20 months ago so I think we can all be a little patient until (pardon the pun) finds his feet.

FFS the guys foot was pointing in the wrong direction 18-20 months ago so I think we can all be a little patient until (pardon the pun) finds his feet.

I'm not saying he hasn't suffered a serious injury, I'm just judging what I see out on the field. Hopefully he gets over the mental side of getting hurt also, because although he was never an in and under player, he didn't used to skirt contests like he did on a few occasions in 2019.

2020 will be make or break for us regarding what we can expect from Scully, 2nd season back from injury and turning 29 in May ? If it's similar to 2019 then I think we'll just have to accept he's an average league football nowadays.

none of our recruits played their best footy first up.

I'm not saying he hasn't suffered a serious injury, I'm just judging what I see out on the field. Hopefully he gets over the mental side of getting hurt also, because although he was never an in and under player, he didn't used to skirt contests like he did on a few occasions in 2019.

2020 will be make or break for us regarding what we can expect from Scully, 2nd season back from injury and turning 29 in May ? If it's similar to 2019 then I think we'll just have to accept he's an average league football nowadays.
He's another year removed from the injury, he's not on crutches to start the preseason either, both of those things will help.

Not his first year with the team either so he's got a better understanding of his team mates and the game plan.

Both of those things should point to improvement, how much is yet to be seen and I agree there could have been fear of re-injury at play in how he approached games in 2019. If so whether he can get past that will probably have the biggest say in what kind of player we have for the rest of his career.

WE also have to remember we paid a future fourth for him, Saints ended up with the pick we traded for Scully and the guy they picked is going into his first preseason.

For the price we paid getting back an average league footballer who runs all day is pretty good value even if we only get a few years out of him.

Trade out a couple of guys on $600k, sign 3x players to 6+ year contracts at $1m+.

Yup, your story checks out.
I get what your saying, but as the public are not privy to player contracts it’s incredibly easy to have as many players as it suits on ambassador payments outside the cap, with a figure that suits under the cap
This really can only happen to multiple players at start-up clubs like GWS and the Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back