No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally take these things with a grain of salt , but heard similar around a month ago .
That was a know someone who knows someone scenerio though.....

Can only hope, whenever they look like imploding they always rally .
Nothing the sale of underpriced land that may just find itself rezoned into something more lucrative soon can't fix.

How long has it been since we scored a 100 points (which is not really that much at all), seems like an absolute age.

Literally five games ago. Round 18 2020.

Have a family connection who plays for Geelong currently, says the place is becoming more and more toxic, as the younger players are becoming disenfranchised with certain double standards towards older players and in Particular Danger who the club has promised to go all in for, hence the resignation of Stephen Wells (who resigned for other reasons as well), Wells believes that they need to draft this year and get younger, where as the club is going to push for another flag.
Expect kids like Constable and Clarke to be looking for new homes next year
3NCQZ.gif

I love Sam's honestly in his reviews that go public, not just the same positive troupes for each player.
Clarko has been doing the same - in fact the club has been for awhile, but everybody seems to want to read it some other way, it's crazy.

Can't hide anymore behind bullshit.

We haven't since from what I call the "pivot", which as you say is great for all concerned - the wall paper is removed, all cracks are there for anybody to see. That's all we can ask for as supporters and then let hem get on with it since they've proven they know what they are doing, not once but four times. I think anyway, even if I don't always agree with the week to week selections or whatever, we're not running from it as a club, what more can they do?

It's just time to support now. Many changes have been made that are not getting highlighted - Wright - list management, in the coaches box again, at Box Hill, the fitness mob, but because Clarko has been there awhile it's obvious he must go as well, to some at least. I'm sure he will when the right person to replace him is in front of him.

I am not really fussed about wins and losses this year either but I would like to see a more attacking/free flowing brand of footy in the following 5 weeks.

I have heard other posters say that one of the reasons we are so cautious / stagnant with our ball movement is that the good teams structure up so well and make this hard. Against the Dees, Geelong and Tigers this could be a valid argument.

If this is truly the case though then playing against teams like Adelaide/Stkilda/North/Carlton should show whether we are actually able to play an attacking/free flowing brand against the lower teams (in fact whether we can play this way at all)

If we continue to play the same defensive/slow brand of footy then I think we are in for a very long year!

How long has it been since we scored a 100 points (which is not really that much at all), seems like an absolute age.

We've scores over 100 only three times in all of 2021, 2020 and 2019. Just terrible.

It's also no coincidence that those three games were the last two of 2019 and the last game of 2020 - when all the pressure was off and we didn't play our usual dour style, and the team played more on impulse.

In the same time North have done it four times, and scored 99 twice.

Adelaide and Essendon have done it five times.

The only team worse than us is Gold Coast, who have done it zero times.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've scores over 100 only three times in all of 2021, 2020 and 2019. Just terrible.

It's also no coincidence that those three games were the last two of 2019 and the last game of 2020 - when all the pressure was off and we didn't play our usual dour style, and the team played more on impulse.

To use another golfing analogy instead of thinking too much about the game and playing defensively we should take a leaf out of John Dalys handbook get all loosely goosey and "Grip it and Rip it!"

Once again the tail is wagging the dog. Have a look at the opposition we only played as well because the opposition just allowed us. One more thing to remember is unlike some other sides we always "play to win"

Once again the tail is wagging the dog. Have a look at the opposition we only played as well because the opposition just allowed us. One more thing to remember is unlike some other sides we always "play to win"
2019 we were playing to get in the top 8 and we actually did it in our last game - until the Bulldogs beat the Crows the next day, so there was pressure

2019 we were playing to get in the top 8 and we actually did it in our last game - until the Bulldogs beat the Crows the next day, so there was pressure
Yes we had better players possibly more motivation. Eagles thought that it would just happen because they were playing at home didn't bring any pressure and our structures and game plan and pressure all night brought them undone

our defensive-minded gamestyle is a fair criticism of majority of our 19 and 20 seasons

but this year its just because we're bad

our strategy then was about fwd half pressure and meticulous ball movement and prevent opposition from scoring

we're still quite good at stopping opposition from scoring but our offense is quite a bit different. we try the kicks into the corridor, we try have overlap, linking run, blokes like Frost, Day and CJ try to take the game on from the backline

we're just not executing it well or experienced enough at it to score well. we have one of the worst/least experienced fwd lines in the comp. it's NOT for a lack of trying.

seriously watch ANY game this year apart from some of the Freo and compare it to the first half of 2020. watch us play Collingwood and see us have 2 million possessions in defence, and not even just switching to open up the ground, just kicking back and forth trying to pick through zones.

if you do that and still have the same opinion (and to be fair why would you voluntarily watch us in 2020) then its a fair conversation, but i think its a little bit of trauma/confirmation bias from how slow and safe we were most of 2020

our defensive-minded gamestyle is a fair criticism of majority of our 19 and 20 seasons

but this year its just because we're bad

our strategy then was about fwd half pressure and meticulous ball movement and prevent opposition from scoring

we're still quite good at stopping opposition from scoring but our offense is quite a bit different. we try the kicks into the corridor, we try have overlap, linking run, blokes like Frost and CJ try to take the game on from the backline

we're just not executing it well or experienced enough at it to score well. we have one of the worst/least experienced fwd lines in the comp. it's NOT for a lack of trying.

seriously watch ANY game this year apart from some of the Freo and compare it to the first half of 2020. if you do that and still have the same opinion (and to be fair why would you voluntarily watch us in 2020) then its a fair conversation, but i think its a little bit of trauma from how slow and safe we were most of 2020
In 2020 we had started implementing the current game style in preseason but just didn't get enough time with the whole team to practice it. We were in transition and did revert back and forth

In 2020 we had started implementing the current game style in preseason but just didn't get enough time with the whole team to practice it. We were in transition and did revert back and forth

yeah I remember seeing parts of it vs st kilda in the preseason games. we also played a bit like that vs Brisbane (but not as much vs Richmond from memory) and it really fell apart in the NSW hub

so a fair worry might be if we keep losing that we go back into our shell and start playing like that again, but for now we haven't been anywhere near as much

Yes we had better players possibly more motivation. Eagles thought that it would just happen because they were playing at home didn't bring any pressure and our structures and game plan and pressure all night brought them undone
More motivation? Eagles were playing for top 4 - that loss was effectively the end of their season and back to back hopes.

More motivation? Eagles were playing for top 4 - that loss was effectively the end of their season and back to back hopes.
Yes I did mention the fact that they though it would just happen were slightly off on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back