No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I did mention the fact that they though it would just happen were slightly off on the day.
This is how we have won a lot of our games in recent years. Because our coaching and effort is always pretty good, unlike others, when a side completely rolls the arm over (especially late in the season), we tend to score a few wins. The ‘snow game’ against GWS another classic.

Those junk time wins late in 2019 papered over substantial cracks that were present early in the season and have widened over 2020 and 2021

This is how we have won a lot of our games in recent years. Because our effort is always pretty good, unlike others, when a side completely rolls the arm over (especially late in the season), we tend to score a few wins.
??? Other then the Gold Coast last year please give some examples to back this up

??? Other then the Gold Coast last year please give some examples to back this up
I just did - much of the back end of 2019. Giants and Eagles games clear examples of good sides rolling the arm over and not wanting to put in the effort.

To be honest we haven’t won many games since 2019. But yes the Gold Coast game in 2020 where they had checked out for the season. Even our round 1 win this year involved a side stopping at half time with a 7 goal lead.

I just did - much of the back end of 2019. Giants and Eagles games clear examples of good sides rolling the arm over and not wanting to put in the effort.

To be honest we haven’t won many games since 2019. But yes the Gold Coast game in 2020 where they had checked out for the season. Even our round 1 win this year involved a side stopping at half time with a 7 goal lead.
Lol GWS and West Coast playing for top 4 both just tanked lol

Lol GWS and West Coast playing for top 4 both just tanked lol
Didn’t tank. Took it easy expecting it would just happen. Giants didn’t want to be there in the snow. That was bloody obvious to anyone. Clarko managed it brilliantly. And Eagles were preserving energy for finals. Neither are unusual circumstances when a poor side upsets a good side, in any sport. It’s generally because the stronger side (or athlete depending on the sport) has an off day

Didn’t tank. Took it easy expecting it would just happen. Giants didn’t want to be there in the snow. That was bloody obvious to anyone. Clarko managed it brilliantly. And Eagles were preserving energy for finals. Neither are unusual circumstances when a poor side upsets a good side, in any sport. It’s generally because the stronger side (or athlete depending on the sport) has an off day
lol

Not sure whats funny? Billyc is on the money imo. I have seen and played enough sport to know sometimes you win above the shoulders. We had a ball in the snow and the Eagles were not ready for a contest and it cost them dearly.

I remember some country games in Tas where we put the aircon/heating on in the oppo changerooms for the game while we got ready in the cold. We were ready and they were not when they ran out into the blizzard like conditions. Little psychological games.

Not sure whats funny? Billyc is on the money imo. I have seen and played enough sport to know sometimes you win above the shoulders. We had a ball in the snow and the Eagles were not ready for a contest and it cost them dearly.

I remember some country games in Tas where we put the aircon/heating on in the oppo changerooms for the game while we got ready in the cold. We were ready and they were not when they ran out into the blizzard like conditions. Little psychological games.
Very different to saying we only won because the oppo rolled over/ tanked they were just as desperate to win as us yet didn’t handle the conditions/occasion. GWS didn’t tank the 2019 GF they just didn’t handle the occasion.

Really enjoyed the video of Bec and Smitch working together in our VFLW coaching unit. One of the things I'm really hoping for this year is that we can further develop our VFLW pathways as we build a case for an AFLW team- Bec has quite a lot of experience coaching at the top level and elite teams and I think Sam is looking to build his ability to combine that mindset with one focused on developing players.

Sounds like the QF of 1991 - winner of that game wins the flag & they just assumed it was going to happen
They weren't off on that day we just played finals football it was wet greasy and we knew how to play finals football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS had about 8 or 9 of their best 22 out from memory.

The Eagles game I'll pay, I reckon that was our best win since the 2015 Grand Final.
It was pretty much their team that played in the GF. We of course didn't have Mitchell in 2019. Gunston got injured in the warm up and Big Boy did not play so we were well below full strength.

It was pretty much their team that played in the GF. We of course didn't have Mitchell in 2019. Gunston got injured in the warm up and Big Boy did not play so we were well below full strength.

Either it's all slim pickings talking about impressive performances from 2 years ago isn't it ? haha

The current reality is we've won 3 of our last 18 games and have played very uninspiring footy to watch.

We just don't have the cattle at the moment. It's that simple.
It can't be that simple mate, come on, but let's secretly agree that it is that simple, so we can then find out who is to blame for this lack of cattle - seems some posters have it both ways; the coach is useless and we have no talent, so they are right no matter what happens.

I'd personally prefer to have the cattle and then see what the coaches can do, but to get the cattle our coaches have to coach badly so we finish last which then makes them good coaches, but if we finish second or third last because we won a game we could have thrown the coaches are bad - how many different ways can these posters hedge to try and be proven right?

It can't be that simple mate, come on, but let's secretly agree that it is that simple, so we can then find out who is to blame for this lack of cattle - seems some posters have it both ways; the coach is useless and we have no talent, so they are right no matter what happens.

I'd personally prefer to have the cattle and then see what the coaches can do, but to get the cattle our coaches have to coach badly so we finish last which then makes them good coaches, but if we finish second or third last because we won a game we could have thrown the coaches are bad - how many different ways can these posters hedge to try and be proven right?
The same posters will tell you how ugly and s**t John Longmires game plan and swines were only a couple of years ago - now he's great, he's it, he's now the comparison of how useless Clarko is .....................

.........................gonna be a long season alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back