No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Venables has been forced to retire due to being knocked out way back in 2019. Per an article on the AFL app.

Pretty sad news. He’s still suffering daily from the knock. Shows just how serious concussion and head-knocks are. It only took one hit.

I genuinely wonder what it is about certain people that cause such severe concussion issues. You've got some guys who are lights out and suffer lasting effects from 1 concussion, and then you've got blokes like Selwood and Hodge who made a career getting knocked in the head and seem fine.

I know that specifically diabetics in Football seem to suffer pretty severely from concussions (recently Fitzpatrick and McCartin) and found myself wondering if there was a link, considering the importance in glucose for the function of your brain.

Bolton is a gun.

If Dusty's their best player then he's next and he's also pretty damn consistent and the one who often lifts them when they are struggling.

$600K is a farking bargain.

You obviously don't have Bolton in a SuperCoach team! Sooky megaspud.

I genuinely wonder what it is about certain people that cause such severe concussion issues. You've got some guys who are lights out and suffer lasting effects from 1 concussion, and then you've got blokes like Selwood and Hodge who made a career getting knocked in the head and seem fine.

I know that specifically diabetics in Football seem to suffer pretty severely from concussions (recently Fitzpatrick and McCartin) and found myself wondering if there was a link, considering the importance in glucose for the function of your brain.

You think Selwood seems fine? :wink:

You obviously don't have Bolton in a SuperCoach team! Sooky megaspud.
He is far from consitent at this stage too. Good talent that has increased his output this year and probably has more growth, but if I were balancing the books, I think $600K for a 22 year at this stage is pretty balanced. its far from a BARGAIN

The remedy for the Tex situation including apologies and donation seem appropriate. Props to the Adelaide official who had the courage to report through the club.

If you look at club boards, it's a shame how quite a few people will be very quick to downplay racism when it's their guy. It wouldn't be much different for any other club, I'm not singling out Adelaide. But even on BigFooty I reckon I've seen a shift in the right direction over the last 10 years.

Off topic a bit, but I'll say it again...

The fact that the twin sagas of

- the Essendon* drug debacle, and
- Adam Goodes effectively being driven out of the game

occurred during our threepeat years does NOT detract from our achievement in those years (just ask St Kilda and Fremantle how hard it is to win even one premiership, let alone three straight), it just means that I look back on that period less fondly than I would otherwise.

Good. If the afl is actually serious about stamping out racism from footy they have to use cases such as this to make an example.

Is it an alleged incident if he's received a sanction for it? (just the headline in the pic you posted).

The Adelaide board is having a mare over this - they really don't get this.

Also it's not a donation if you are told you have to do this as part of your sanction - it's a fine.
The fact that Tex will probably be able to claim it at tax time doesn't sit well with me.

Tex Walker... deeply ashamed. Pfftt. Who gives a rat's arse with his shame after he's been caught.

He got caught for this one, but how times before has the guy uttered racist abuse? An educated guess would have to say this is not a lone incident and he's done it a few times (or many times) before. No excuses. It's not as if the guy is a young, brash bloke who needs some guidance (which he obvisouly does) He's meant to be a leader. Meant to be.

Wonder what part Walker took in that infamous Adelaide training camp...???

What a disgraceful way to end a career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex Walker... deeply ashamed. Pfftt. Who gives a rat's arse with his shame after he's been caught.

He got caught for this one, but how times before has the guy uttered racist abuse? An educated guess would have to say this is not a lone incident and he's done it a few times (or many times) before. No excuses. It's not as if the guy is a young, brash bloke who needs some guidance (which he obvisouly does) He's meant to be a leader. Meant to be.

Wonder what part Walker took in that infamous Adelaide training camp...???

What a disgraceful way to end a career.

I've always wondered if there's truth in the rumour that the other captains voted Tex 'Best captain' as a pisstake.

Also it's not a donation if you are told you have to do this as part of your sanction - it's a fine.
The fact that Tex will probably be able to claim it at tax time doesn't sit well with me.
I think fines are tax deductible anyway, pretty sure ones at the tribunal are anyway.

What I will say is it’s good this is being stamped down on. Especially given Adelaide itself has driven this. Rather than tried to hide it.

The remedy for the Tex situation including apologies and donation seem appropriate. Props to the Adelaide official who had the courage to report through the club.

If you look at club boards, it's a shame how quite a few people will be very quick to downplay racism when it's their guy. It wouldn't be much different for any other club, I'm not singling out Adelaide. But even on BigFooty I reckon I've seen a shift in the right direction over the last 10 years.

Don’t think it’s strong enough at all - port supported gets banned indefinitely for throwing a banana at Eddie Betts (great outcome) and yet the former captain, educated daily on racism gets 6 weeks and a sorry (not really) and give a donation

where’s the consistency - he definitely knows better

Don’t think it’s strong enough at all - port supported gets banned indefinitely for throwing a banana at Eddie Betts (great outcome) and yet the former captain, educated daily on racism gets 6 weeks and a sorry (not really) and give a donation

It is a pretty strong message. He shouldn't be paid for those games, though. Hope he isn't. He will now be remembered for this and every time you see a Tex "highlight" everyone will automatically remember the word "RACIST".

Off topic a bit, but I'll say it again...

The fact that the twin sagas of

- the Essendon* drug debacle, and
- Adam Goodes effectively being driven out of the game

occurred during our threepeat years does NOT detract from our achievement in those years (just ask St Kilda and Fremantle how hard it is to win even one premiership, let alone three straight), it just means that I look back on that period less fondly than I would otherwise.
The Essendon drug saga only enhanced my enjoyment of the threepeat.

It is a pretty strong message. He shouldn't be paid for those games, though. Hope he isn't. He will now be remembered for this and every time you see a Tex "highlight" everyone will automatically remember the word "RACIST".
It won't be forgotten but I'm not sure it will be remembered that strongly after a few years. People haven't forgotten what Wayne Carey did but they don't remember it strongly enough for it to keep him from holding a lucrative position in the footy media.

That statement from the Crows on Tex’s behalf is shameful. I’ve met Tex and he’s a good country lad. But what he’s done is inexcusable and the AFL and Crows need to hold him and themselves accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a few studies are coming out on the impact of creatine to

Barring someone from playing (their job) is not equivalent from preventing a spectator from being able to watch a football match at a stadium. I don't think it follows that an indefinite spectator ban is more harsh than a month and a half ban from playing.

I guess it depends whether you want punishment for satisfaction and vengeance or whether the aim is to do right by the person targeted and the group vilified.

Conciliation with the player targeted and coming to an agreement of a playing ban, personal apology to the player, private apology to the North Adelaide team and staff, private apology to the Adelaide playing group and staff, public apology, $20k donation/salary sacrifice to a local First Nations group and an undertaking of First Nations cultural education or service is pretty comprehensive and a bigger undertaking than having to watch footy on TV. I don't think whacking on an extra 6 weeks or sacking him does anything significant for Young or other First Nations people.

All done through a process independent of Adelaide and initiated by an official in the club. I actually think it's a rare instance of the league showing a bit of progress and maturity after a decade of shambolic processes and racist staff/fan behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back