No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Tassie is different (closer to Vic and a different time) plenty of people jumped across for West Coast and then again for Freo. I was angry at West Coast for destroying the WAFL so stuck with the Hawks. Was too invested in the Hawks to change to Freo when they came on board (was a massive East Freo fan). But there were people who jumped from West Coast to Freo.

I'd say you'd get a few who would jump across. Probably not hardcore but look at an opportunity to see AFL each week and follow the state team.
yep, heaps I knew changed to WCE (though all of my close friends stuck with their original clubs). I used to cop a bit of flack for sticking with the Hawks, although when it was grand Final week or whatever and I wore a Hawks scarf, the looks I got were more confused than angry. They just couldn't understand why - being a West Australian - I wouldn't automatically switch to the Eagles.

Been in Melbourne 25 years now and still go for WA in the Shield and Scorchers in the BBL, tho :cool:

Are there any Tasmanian Hawthorn supporters here that will quit Hawthorn and start following Tasmania? I can't see Tasmania getting many true supporters for a long time. Collingwood, Carlton, Scum and so on might join as a member for cheaper seats but not many true supporters will give up on their current team and become a true Tassie supporter.
I know a few who have said they will get duel memberships (me included).
It won't be that black and white that people will or won't support Tassie team (I'm sure some will choose not to) but I'd assume the majority of other-club supporters will at least still support Tassie even if they don't get a membership.
edit: Right now as it stands I could never imagine NOT being a Hawk's supporter but who knows over time I may gravitate more to Tassie.

It won't be that black and white that people will or won't support Tassie team (I'm sure some will choose not to) but I'd assume the majority of other-club supporters will at least still support Tassie even if they don't get a membership.
edit: Right now as it stands I could never imagine NOT being a Hawk's supporter but who knows over time I may gravitate more to Tassie.
I could understand dual memberships if the Tassie side was new - Tassie Jim Jumpers or Tassie Devils with green as a baseline colour - but I am unsure how much support a transported Kangaroos would garnish, at least in the short term.

I can't see this working as well as getting a new Tasmanian branded team personally.

I can't speak for other Tasmanians, but I will never change my team whether Tasmania get a team or not. I think some would though.

However, I would go to Tasmania games when played in Hobart. I wouldn't drive to Launceston to watch Tasmania though. For the record I do not attend North Melbourne games, although I will go to the North v Hawks game later in the year.

It may take a number of years to get full support, but I think the state would get behind it far more if was our own team, rather than the relocation of North.

Agree entirely. I would be a day-0 member of a new Tassie team, but for a relocated North (or any other club for that matter) would probably never take more than a passing interest. I will never stop supporting Hawthorn though.

Are there any Tasmanian Hawthorn supporters here that will quit Hawthorn and start following Tasmania? I can't see Tasmania getting many true supporters for a long time. Collingwood, Carlton, Scum and so on might join as a member for cheaper seats but not many true supporters will give up on their current team and become a true Tassie supporter.

The problem is Tasmania is as much (statistically it's actually more) of an AFL football state than Victoria. Club allegiances run deep amongst Tasmanian football fans and have been entrenched across multiple generation(s) since the 70s (tv broadcasts) just like in Melbourne. This is why a relocated club would be up against it from day one - the MOST likely future AFL members are already aligned elsewhere and will be reluctant to change.

I can see many Tasmanians who are currently members of other clubs (~23k IIRC), become members of "Tasmania" to see regular live football - I can't see many dropping/replacing their main team though. This then creates a further North/South divide - memberships for convenience of attendance will only apply for "local" games - and Launceston is not local to Hobart and vice versa (before you criticize, would you drive to say Bendigo or Ballarat for a home game?)

I could understand dual memberships if the Tassie side was new - Tassie Jim Jumpers or Tassie Devils with green as a baseline colour - but I am unsure how much support a transported Kangaroos would garnish, at least in the short term.
People down here in Tassie I've talked to hate that idea (and I've spoken to quite a few) and I wouldn't be going out on a limb in saying the major consensus is a big NO to North.

People down here in Tassie I've talked to hate that idea (and I've spoken to quite a few) and I wouldn't be going out on a limb in saying the major consensus is a big NO to North.
No question.

A transplanted dud team, dropped into your lap through expedience.

I'd avoid them as a matter of principle if I was a Taswegian, and hope they died in the arse as soon as possible.

It will be hard enough to attract all the Tassie supporters who are rusted-on, 4th generation supporters of the Saints, Hawks, Tigers, Blues, etc. Trying to attract these supporters to a new, purely Tasmanian team will be a hard sell, let alone trying to get them to follow an existing team on struggle street...who they already have existing apathy or antipathy.

To give them North and say "There you go!" would and should mean nothing to them.

Last edited:
No question.

A transplanted dud team, dropped into your lap through expedience.

I'd avoid them as a matter of principle if I was a Taswegian, and hope they died in the arse as soon as possible.

It will be hard enough to attract all the Tassie supporters who are rusted-on, 4th generation, Saints, Hawks, Tigers, Blues, etc supporters to a new, purely Tasmanian team, let alone an existing team on struggle street.

To give them North and say "There you go!" would and should mean nothing to them.

So you know that's exactly what the AFL will do. Kill the prospect of Tassie ever having their own side, whilst getting rid of one of the league's financial drains in Victoria and letting them put more money/teams into NSW/QLD.

yep, heaps I knew changed to WCE (though all of my close friends stuck with their original clubs). I used to cop a bit of flack for sticking with the Hawks, although when it was grand Final week or whatever and I wore a Hawks scarf, the looks I got were more confused than angry. They just couldn't understand why - being a West Australian - I wouldn't automatically switch to the Eagles.

Been in Melbourne 25 years now and still go for WA in the Shield and Scorchers in the BBL, tho :cool:
I'm a Hawk through and through, but like you everything else is WA.

grumbleguts are you still doing that analysis thing you were doing? Too late to save me from myself in regards to tipping I think, but curious what your number-crunching says about us, GWS and Rich
Melbourne 100
Brisbane 78.50164939
Geelong 56.1254705
St Kilda 47.09597469
Fremantle 39.6162797
Richmond 38.62089667
Sydney 33.44648642
Carlton 24.81571471
Western Bulldogs 23.26281629
Collingwood 13.80399597
Gold Coast 11.60777389
Port Adelaide 9.599614625
Hawthorn 3.201288488
GWS -28.4661968
Adelaide -38.39619131
Essendon -47.49022413
North Melbourne -139.2834929
West Coast -160.758662

Sorry been busy with life. This is after round ten. The problem with this season is two teams are so much worse than any of the others that it massively affects everyone's ratings.

If I moved to Sydney I wouldn't be buying up a Swans membership nor would I probably be going to many non-Hawthorn related games as getting to the SCG isn't exactly simple (getting to Metricon is even worse).

I here what you're saying. I'll never buy a Swans membership but I know a lot of ex pats now living in Sydney that have. They do it for their kids. It's either that or lose the kid to another code / sport.

It's hard for the child to develop an emotive connection to the team their father / mother supported growing up when they can't go to the footy and see that team play every week and when their school mates all follow the Swans.

I here what you're saying. I'll never buy a Swans membership but I know a lot of ex pats now living in Sydney that have. They do it for their kids. It's either that or lose the kid to another code / sport.

It's hard for the child to develop an emotive connection to the team their father / mother supported growing up when they can't go to the footy and see that team play every week and when their school mates all follow the Swans.

Yeah that would be a tough one - I'll be pushing the Hawks hard for my son but I won't even bother trying with the Raiders because it would be too hard for him to get emotive about a team he can't go see like he could with the Hawks - if he takes an interest in NRL (which won't be of my doing as I only watch Raiders games the occasional final and origin games) then if he opts for the Storm I won't be too shattered about it. Plus inflicting the misery that is supporting the Raiders feels cruel also.

Doesn't stop country kids who never see their AFL team play, I was in my 20's when I first watched Hawthorn play.

What's overlooked is the strong connection most Tasmanians have for their VFL sides for generations. In SA and WA, there have always been strong local leagues that people have supported over time - Tasmanians have always had ties to VFL teams for a number of reasons. So it's not like asking someone to switch from East Freo to Freo (for example) but asking people to switch from three generations of Collingwood support to a new Tasmanian team, which is a more difficult sell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't stop country kids who never see their AFL team play from following a club, I was in my 20's when I first watched Hawthorn play.
It's slightly different, footy is a big country culture thing. Local FNCs are as important to country communities as anything. I grew up in Seymour, not that far from Melbourne but still a bit of a trek to watch the footy - the local club here has a massive history and families are involved for generations. Same goes for places like Nagambie, Heathcote. Footy is everywhere.

In a different state you're surrounded by another code. NSW in particular, being an AFL supporter particularly as a kid is like putting a target on your back.

I agree with this, if other states or cities are going to get their own club the answer isn't to transplant a failing Victorian club.

You wouldn't get complete buy in from supporters in the new location, and you'd lose supporters from the old location. Not sure exactly how to handle it, but for new clubs to be brought in we definitely need to lose some older ones - 20 is just too many.

Doesn't stop country kids who never see their AFL team play, I was in my 20's when I first watched Hawthorn play.
Same (apart from when they came to Sale when I was 10, and I ran on to the field at 3/4 time to get Leigh Matthews autograph. Yay me!)

I was every bit as maniacal about Hawthorn as I am now.

20 is just too many.

It's a vexxed number. 20 is what the ARL jumped to in 1995 and then they had an insane civil war in the code which ended up seeing two of the new clubs dead within 3 seasons, and eventually having 6 clubs being entirely extinguished (7 originally until Souths won their court case) and a further 4 clubs lose or change their identity via merger. It was turmoil that cost the game many supporters. It was the kind of annihilation of history and culture that would make Ross Oakley blush. While I am keen to see NT and Tassie with sides, I don't want to see any other existing sides be lost. Annoyingly that includes Gold Coast and GWS as I think that would create instability and mean a waste of huge sums of money. I would, however, still like to see GWS relocated more permanently to the ACT where I think they would benefit from more interest and local support - particularly from the Riverina area.

So I am with you - 20 just seems a bit too much at the present time.

Same (apart from when they came to Sale when I was 10, and I ran on to the field at 3/4 time to get Leigh Matthews autograph. Yay me!)

I was every bit as maniacal about Hawthorn as I am now.
Same. Probably went to a total of 15 Hawthorn games before I was 30.

Once I moved to Melbourne and ended my own footy career I didn’t miss a game.

I can't see this working as well as getting a new Tasmanian branded team personally.

I can't speak for other Tasmanians, but I will never change my team whether Tasmania get a team or not. I think some would though.

However, I would go to Tasmania games when played in Hobart. I wouldn't drive to Launceston to watch Tasmania though. For the record I do not attend North Melbourne games, although I will go to the North v Hawks game later in the year.

It may take a number of years to get full support, but I think the state would get behind it far more if was our own team, rather than the relocation of North.

I can also see some people buying a membership, while continuing their support for their own club. Tassie has been clamouring for a team for decades.

Melbourne 100
Brisbane 78.50164939
Geelong 56.1254705
St Kilda 47.09597469
Fremantle 39.6162797
Richmond 38.62089667
Sydney 33.44648642
Carlton 24.81571471
Western Bulldogs 23.26281629
Collingwood 13.80399597
Gold Coast 11.60777389
Port Adelaide 9.599614625
Hawthorn 3.201288488
GWS -28.4661968
Adelaide -38.39619131
Essendon -47.49022413
North Melbourne -139.2834929
West Coast -160.758662

Sorry been busy with life. This is after round ten. The problem with this season is two teams are so much worse than any of the others that it massively affects everyone's ratings.
Do you think the eighth decimal place adds value to the rating?

I can also see some people buying a membership, while continuing their support for their own club. Tassie has been clamouring for a team for decades.

Oh for sure. My family (me, my wife and 2 girls) currently have a Hawks Membership that gets us a reserved seat at UTAS and MCG. Heading to Collingwood game next week actually. First time I have used my MCG seat since 2019!

If Tassie get a team, we won't have the Launceston Membership to worry about.

So, me and a few mates would likely get reserved seat memberships at Bellerive and go along and enjoy the footy and few frothies for sure.

Do you think the eighth decimal place adds value to the rating?
No, but I just copied and pasted look in the actual thread and diss the three decimal places if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back