No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Richmond's first round and a second round pick acquired by Richmond from North Melbourne as part of the Callum Coleman-Jones trade. So in effect, Richmond have traded a relatively late first round pick, plus a dud, in exchange for a proven midfielder. Not a bad piece of business by Richmond.
Yep - I see that perspective.

Also worth noting that GWS have already traded out two players and obtained picks 12, 19 and 40.

Wonder what their second wave of deals will be and if they've managed to attract any talent in to the club.

I feel like I've completely lost perspective on what a good price is (cos it changes with every deal)

But 2x late first rounds for Taranto - I feel like I would prefer the two picks. Maybe I'm just burned by all our mutli-picks-for-one-player deals; maybe my view is skewed because we're in rebuild mode.

But Richmond are mid-tier and trending downwards - so they should be hoarding picks rather than defying gravity.
24 year old midfielder that averages mid high 20's and 4 clearances just about to enter his prime, they get a ready to go player while Lynch and Riewoldt is still there.

I think it's well worth the risk.

It's Richmond's first round and a second round pick acquired by Richmond from North Melbourne as part of the Callum Coleman-Jones trade. So in effect, Richmond have traded a relatively late first round pick, plus a dud, in exchange for a proven midfielder. Not a bad piece of business by Richmond.

Much like Geelong turning Kelly (pick 24) and a first into Cameron, one of the top 3 forwards in the game. It has been many years since the Hawks can claim shrewd trading like that. We'll see whether their cliffs come like ours did – at first gradually, and then with a bang.

Much like Geelong turning Kelly (pick 24) and a first into Cameron, one of the top 3 forwards in the game. It has been many years since the Hawks can claim shrewd trading like that. We'll see whether their cliffs come like ours did – at first gradually, and then with a bang.
Plus turning pick 27 into 11 due to GCS incompetence.

It’s the sort of trading we need to be doing. Maximising trades where possible.

I know it makes me a bad person. But I hope TT decides he wants a trade this year. And North refuses to trade him and JHF.

Watching north implode even worse than this year will make for some spectacular viewing.

Would suck for their fans. But I always love watching a professional sporting club being run by amateurs.

I recall Jonathan Brown recently saying that although Buckley didn’t want to be at the lions, he was nothing but the ultimate professional throughout the entire season

The same could not be said of JFH

I recall Jonathan Brown recently saying that although Buckley didn’t want to be at the lions, he was nothing but the ultimate professional throughout the entire season

The same could not be said of JFH
Robert Walls (Lions coach at the time) said the same thing.

I think I read that in terms of draft pick value, Cameron cost them something like pick 12. Bargain.

Oh, and spare a thought for Wet Toast who gave up 2019 ND picks 14, 24, 33 and their 2020 first-round pick for someone who never reached the heights of their time at the Cats.

This is a bit left field, but in light of the following:
- Jackson looking at a return to WA
- JHF looking at a return to SA
- Rankine to SA
- Bruhn to Vic
- Any number of previous instances (Steinglein, Judd, Dangerfield,
- Wingard indicating a preference to stay in SA pre-draft
- As above for A. Perkins, Sheezel and no doubt others.
- QLD & NSW clubs getting priority access to academy players.

Staying in your home state is a clear preference for obvious reasons but a luxury of sorts. An early pick draftee heading home is far from ideal and not solely reliant on the club providing a good environment (Geelong were performing & did their best to accommodate Tim Kelly).

Recruiting has changed a fair bit over the years - zone based initially --> Draft --> Father sons --> NSW Scholarships --> State Academies --> NGAs.
The draft is already compromised.

I'd honestly like a system where the 1st round is done by state.
Freo & WCE get the 2 best WA kids, Port & the Crows the 2 best SA kids etc. based on ladder position. The rest of the draft would then proceed as normal (ideally 3 state rounds but talent pool not diverse enough).

Bris & GC would get screwed in this system for probably at least a decade as their academies aren't producing as much as NSW (Heeney, Mills Blakey, Gulden / Hopper, Kennedy(?)).
Ditto Tassie if / when they enter the comp.
It'd also complicate or disincentivise trades (Tigers would compensate GWS for Taranto / Hopper with open draft picks ie unable to trade top 18 selections).

So it's not a perfect system but I wouldn't mind seeing it rather than this partially compromised system we have atm - or forcing draftees to sign longer contracts as has otherwise been suggested to avoid the go home factor. Also brings more of a state of origin flavour to the AFL.

Anyways..... pie in the sky stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Rankine to SA
- Bruhn to Vic

Staying in your home state is a clear preference for obvious reasons but a luxury of sorts. An early pick draftee heading home is far from ideal and not solely reliant on the club providing a good environment (Geelong were performing & did their best to accommodate Tim Kelly).

Recruiting has changed a fair bit over the years - zone based initially --> Draft --> Father sons --> NSW Scholarships --> State Academies --> NGAs.

Freo & WCE get the 2 best WA kids, Port & the Crows the 2 best SA kids etc. based on ladder position. The rest of the draft would then proceed as normal (ideally 3 state rounds but talent pool not diverse enough).

Bris & GC would get screwed in this system for probably at least a decade as their academies aren't producing as much as NSW (Heeney, Mills Blakey, Gulden / Hopper, Kennedy(?)).
It'd also complicate or disincentivise trades (Tigers would compensate GWS for Taranto / Hopper with open draft picks ie unable to trade top 18 selections).

So it's not a perfect system but I wouldn't mind seeing it rather than this partially compromised system we have atm - or forcing draftees to sign longer contracts as has otherwise been suggested to avoid the go home factor. Also brings more of a state of origin flavour to the AFL.

If the AFL really wanted to develop football in the northern states (and Tassie), I would expand Cat B to include players from QLD/NSW/NT/TAS. It's outside the Cap, and increasing numbers of QLD-born players would lessen the "go home" factor.

You could go further and require clubs to take on a new QLD/NSW/NT/TAS player every year. Even if only a couple of the 18 extra players go on to play AFL, the level of training and development will help developing local competitions if they go back home afterwards.

With Tasmania maybe coming in, I'd even 'force' clubs to draft/rookie at least one Tasmanian player each every year. Would mean that when Tasmania did join in say 2026 there would be 60-odd players from Tasmania with recent AFL list experience to choose from.

- Rankine to SA
- Bruhn to Vic

It's a National Competition so naturally I'm averse to this. Having said that, I'd be curious to see the data for the last 20 years showing how this would have panned out to get a better idea of equality. Even then, it doesn't take into player development.

My prediction would be that there isn't enough top end Victorian talent to support having 10 Vic clubs.

That's interesting considering he would have been playing footy for the Warrnambool under 12s at the time

I am only repeating what he said on Fox Saturday night football

- Rankine to SA
- Bruhn to Vic

I don't agree with locking the first round into drafting only 'home grown' talent.

But, I think as soon as the draft ends the trade window should re-open and clubs can then trade for a player they may have missed out on during the draft,

I don't agree with locking the first round into drafting only 'home grown' talent.

But, I think as soon as the draft ends the trade window should re-open and clubs can then trade for a player they may have missed out on during the draft,
With what currency? Future picks from the next 2 drafts?

Yep - I see that perspective.

Also worth noting that GWS have already traded out two players and obtained picks 12, 19 and 40.

Wonder what their second wave of deals will be and if they've managed to attract any talent in to the club.
Just wait
Pussies get 7 for magic beans
Trade 7 for Bruhn and 12
Trade 12 for Henry
Bowes Bruhn and Henry for nothing inside 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back