No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie was my favourite footy player as a kid and I admired him more for putting his hand up and having the stones to admit fault and take responsibility for his past indiscretions then anything he achieved on a footy field. Racism is a taught thing and can most certainly be untaught if everyone bands together an calls it out.

Watching that you can feel the shame and disgust Dermie has in himself because winning at all costs when comes to things like that is just not worth it. Even back then racial vilification should’ve been out of bounds like family, mental illness etc but it wasn’t and I feel the reason is because society back then saw indigenous people as lower than animals which is absolutely disgusting.

I remember another one of my childhood hero’s in Dippa getting called out for an off the cuff racist comment when he was an Auskick ambassador. I still to this day don’t think Dippa is a racist but rather just very uneducated like a lot of people from that era which is no excuse. To his credit he took full responsibility and was stood down from his role. He undertook a several weeks of counselling / education on the matter and was sincerely remorseful for his actions. Like a lot of people they need to start understanding that words can hurt and have long lasting impacts on others just as much as physical harm.

He should know first hand what vilification is like. Copped it for years when he first started so not sure why he didn't engage his brain on that particular situation. No excuses really.

He should know first hand what vilification is like. Copped it for years when he first started so not sure why he didn't engage his brain on that particular situation. No excuses really.
As I said in my original post I don't think he's a racist but he like all of us have been guilty of causal racism in some point in time. I know some will say how can you not be a racist but commit casual racism and that's a fair question. I put a lot of casual racism down to ignorance and not knowing or understanding how it effects others. This is where I feel Dipper falls in the casual racism zone and as a grown man of Italian heritage that copped his fair share of casual racism should've known better but as human beings sometimes these things don't compute unless the effect you even though it shouldn't. Now IMO what makes you a full blown racist is when you keep on committing those forms or casual racism after knowing how the affected party or others feel about it and the hurt it causes.

Here's an FAQ explaining Casual Racism from none other than the Human Rights Commission:

Last edited:

As I said in my original post I don't think he's a racist but he like all of us have been guilty of causal racism in some point in time. I know some will say how can you not be a racist but commit casual racism and that's a fair question. I put a lot of casual racism down to ignorance and not knowing or understanding how it effects others. This is where I feel Dipper falls in the casual racism zone and as a grown man of Italian heritage that copped his fair share of casual racism should've known better but as human beings sometimes these things don't compute unless the effect you even though it shouldn't. Now IMO what makes you a full blown racist is when you keep on committing those forms or casual racism after knowing how the affected party or others feel about it and the hurt it causes.

Here's an FAQ explaining Casual Racism from none other than the Human Rights Commission:

The motivation was sledging, to put others off their game. Of course that’s not how it’s received, time after time

The worst sledging I encountered by far was from guys from the sub continent ....normally in very broken english but the worst stuff you needed translated by a team mate .
Talking to them after games it was always a self defence mechanism due to abuse they had recieved previously.

You actually can learn a lot about tolerance by talking to people and taking time to learn .
Noones perfect and I think with this you are always learning constantly .

A few of those guys are now lifeling friends for me. We learnt from each other and hopefully are all better for it.

The motivation was sledging, to put others off their game. Of course that’s not how it’s received, time after time
I’ve always found a bit of sledging funny but there is always a line you don’t cross. That line for me is race, religion, family and sexual preference. If players want to verbally attack each other on things like skill level then so be it but almost always when the first 3 things I listed come into it then you’re on a slippery slope to where we are now. However, the 4th thing listed for a while there was open to be sledged on but like anything times are changing and is now firmly on the no go list with the other 3.

FWIW one of my favourite back and forth sledges was the one with Merv Hughes and Javed Miandad. That was funny as hell and I thought Merv handled it like a boss. Merv dolled it out and took his fair share back too and along with Dean Jones was another one of my hero’s growing up.

Merv Hughes to Javed Miandad

During a test between Pakistan and Australia in 1991 Miandad tried to sledge Merv: "Merv you are a big, fat bus conductor". Only a few balls later Merv dismissed Miandad, ran past him and shouted: "Tickets please!".

There’s a problem with saying there’s. A ‘line in sledging. OK on this side not OK when you cross it.

Problem is the line is decided by the sledger, not the sledgee. That doesn’t fly in corporate harassment cases and it shouldn’t fly in sport. The point is to put someone off their game or it’s just boorish. Polite sledges won’t cut it. It’s meant to hurt

Also it changes over time as noted by the poster. But the poster said ‘skill level’ is OK. There would be many situations where this is not OK.

Anyone hear Watson defending sheedy this morning?

I have no issue with that, but Watson was the one who wouldn't let natural justice run its course during the early days of the hawks situation. He actually said back then it isn't about what other people experienced, but what the players dealt with.

Now he's trotting out the line "I never heard it!"

I have no issue with that, but Watson was the one who wouldn't let natural justice run its course during the early days of the hawks situation. He actually said back then it isn't about what other people experienced, but what the players dealt with.

100%
So predictable. Same as Slobbo.

McRae, Burge, Hardwick and now Gale.

Riewoldt and Cotchin retired. Dusty out of contract.

Richmond are a sinking ship on and off the field.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

McRae, Burge, Hardwick and now Gale.

Riewoldt and Cotchin retired. Dusty out of contract.

Richmond are a sinking ship on and off the field.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles
Nobody wants to hang round for the s**t, they all got their success. Saints would sell their arms and legs if they could buy that

Blokes got that many skeletons in the closet it’s not funny. Who honestly gives a rats what Watson thinks about anything he’s on the way out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a problem with saying there’s. A ‘line in sledging. OK on this side not OK when you cross it.

Problem is the line is decided by the sledger, not the sledgee. That doesn’t fly in corporate harassment cases and it shouldn’t fly in sport. The point is to put someone off their game or it’s just boorish. Polite sledges won’t cut it. It’s meant to hurt

Also it changes over time as noted by the poster. But the poster said ‘skill level’ is OK. There would be many situations where this is not OK.

In my experiences with sledging there was always a line or an unwritten code that you knew never to cross (race, religion, family etc). If you were any good at sledging then it was always about you and him and if you crossed the line and started talking about someones wife or kid then you left yourself open to a physical altercation which doesn't make you a good sledger but rather just a d**khead. Where the line falls and why sledging is frowned upon these days and pretty much eradicated is because there's always someone that goes too far. I always saw it as a game within the game and it's unfortunate because losing it makes sport robotic and boring.

Nobody wants to hang round for the s**t, they all got their success. Saints would sell their arms and legs if they could buy that
Reckon teams like the Swans + Pies will come for Tom Lynch. By memory the Pies were after him when we were too.

Reckon teams like the Swans + Pies will come for Tom Lynch. By memory the Pies were after him when we were too.
Yer good call, I will be interested in how many hang round, looks like a long road back. Their big contract/trades kind of nailed shut how flexible they can be rebuilding.

Similar to the departures after our era.

Jack Russell, Dougie, Makdissi, etc
Exactly. The parallels between the end of the Hawks and Tigers eras are strikingly similar. Including the Taranto and Hopper acquisitions mirroring the Mitchell and O’Meara ones.

Hardwick probably saw the past repeating and made the smart move to get out before he inevitably got ‘succession planned’ out in a few miserable years.

Feel for Yze. He’s going to cop a lot of heat from the Tiger army for problems he’s inherited.

I’m finding the ‘Richmond should go to the draft more like hawthorn did (especially as hawks were being roasted differently last year

Rough figures but since and including 2017. Richmond have taken 27 NDdraft picks to hawthorns 24.
Richmond’s opponents in round 0, Gold Coast, who have never made finals made about 26 ND picks, similar to Richmond though probably with more draft capital

In a ‘period of time’ where tigers made finals and 3 flags and hawks played finals once. They -media- pick the weirdest comparisons
In the hawks dominant era 2010 to 2016 drafts they made 19 draft selections. Well known they recruited mature more than most
Richmond were the counter to hawks, dominant team almost all draftees

Last edited:
Excitement? What a load of crap. I hated it. My team didn’t play, so I couldn’t have been less excited.
Laura Kane, some time this week

"And if you thought having 8 teams playing was exciting, have we got news for you!

This round...18 teams will be playing! 18!! Over twice as exciting!!!"

Cue the obvious question...why not just play the whole round one week earlier, if they want to take advantage of no NRL?

Dumbass marketing from some fool with a pony tail straight out of his marketing course...I'm sure it won't be long before AFLX Mk.II gets a run...

Round 1 should be all teams playing across all of Australia

1 game in Melbourne
2 games in Adelaide
2 games in Perth
2 games in Tassie
2 games in Qld

For opening round it makes much more sense having the games spread throughout the country! I may even suggest replacing on with a Darwin game to fully capture the population!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back