No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey is a * wit. Will be good not to have to listen to him any more.

Wright is lucky he only got 4 weeks. Jumps, elects to not contest the ball and bump, hits his opponent in the head and knocks him out. Don’t see why it shouldn’t be 7 weeks, same as Webster.

Stamp these weak cheap shots out of the game.
Carey’s probably got CTE and doesn’t know it.

Would be the most logical explanation for him being such a total utensil smack.

Carey’s probably got CTE and doesn’t know it.

Would be the most logical explanation for him being such a total utensil smack.

He is also responsible for giving a few blokes CTE as well and a few gals PTSD around Melbourne’s nightclubs back in the day 🤭

I sometimes wonder whether I am more cynical now just because I'm old. But I suspect the years of witnessing self interest and double standards from our leaders in sport, business, politics, religion etc, means I just don't trust them any more.

The AFL has no commitment to WADA. Their signing up with WADA is all about optics and government funding. They then do everyting in their power to get around the system. Just like Vlad giving a heads up to the scum, this is about the AFL protecting their brand.

I don't for a minute think they are interested in the player's welfare.

This will end up being swept under the rug again and the AFL executives will pat themselves on the back and give themselves a nice bonus.
Yep, and it is also coincidental that the senator approached with this info is Tasmanian. The AFL will only find it harder now to take tax payer money for a new stadium when their status as a good corporate citizen is being trashed.

You're right. It's always about money.

AFL executives compensation is ultimately tied to how much revenue the game generates. The game generates revenue based on broadcast deals and stadium tickets/memberships.

People are more likely to spend their money on watching the game when the quality of games is higher. The quality of games are higher when the best players are playing.

Players caught with illicit drugs in their system by a drug authority won't be able to play for a long time.

At this point the AFL has two options.

1) Zero tolerance on illicit drugs = Less quality players = Less quality games = Less money
2) Work around the system = Keep quality players = Maintain quality games = More money

They'll always pick the option that gives them more money. But maybe I'm just an old cynic now too.

It's not the drug use that's the issue (it is with me but that's another point). The issue is that the AFL appears to be actively evading WADA controls to detect violations. That looks like systemic cheating to me. We'll see if WADA thinks the same.

The AFL argues that it's just helping players avoid suspensions. Others would argue the AFL is actively helping drug users avoid the consequences of their choices, one of which is the loss of their livelihood (a consequence the players agree to when they sign the contract).

From the WADA code. Is the AFL violating this or other provisions that are similar? We'll see, I guess.

1711519879287.png

Last edited:
It's not the drug use that's the issue (it is with me but that's another point). The issue is that the AFL appears to be actively evading WADA controls to detect violations. That looks like systemic cheating to me. We'll see if WADA thinks the same.

The AFL argues that it's just helping players avoid suspensions. Others would argue the AFL is actively helping drug users avoid the consequences of their choices, one of which is the loss of their livelihood (a consequence the players agree to when they sign the contract).

From the WADA code. Is the AFL violating this or other provisions that are similar? We'll see, I guess.

View attachment 1941118
All I was saying was that the motivation for these types of things always comes down to money. Executives protecting their jobs and bonuses.

It may be sold by them or others as trying to protect the image of the game or players careers, but as I laid out, it all boils down to what drives revenue/profit for the AFL and in turn their own compensation.

The afl looked at essendon’s systemic doping regime and thought, the problem is the lack of an afl sponsored black ops drug testing regime to screen players ahead of games and ensure they dont test positive in an asada sponsored drug test….

Face Palm Reaction GIF

There is hundreds of millions of funding now at stake, including the kennedy centre and tassie potentially. * you afl. You had one job!

That is reputation management 101.
the AFL does not want players drug tested and facing potential lengthy bans. That reflects poorly on the sport and the league.

The games druggies are essentially being kept out of the game until they are clean.

No wonder so few players are actually detected in the way that Joel Smith has been.

Melbourne "injury" list.

Jake Bowey"Collarbone"7 weeks
Lachie Hunter"Calf"1 week
Jake Lever"Knee"Test
Steven May"Ribs"1 week
Shane McAdam"Hamstring"3-5 weeks
Jake Melksham"Knee"12-14 weeks
Joel SmithSuspensionIndefinite
Ollie Sestan"Concussion"Test
Charlie Spargo"Achilles"2-4 weeks
Daniel Turner"Hip"2-3 weeks
harsh on May, we saw that one happen in front of us

Melbourne "injury" list.

Jake Bowey"Collarbone"7 weeks
Lachie Hunter"Calf"1 week
Jake Lever"Knee"Test
Steven May"Ribs"1 week
Shane McAdam"Hamstring"3-5 weeks
Jake Melksham"Knee"12-14 weeks
Joel SmithSuspensionIndefinite
Ollie Sestan"Concussion"Test
Charlie Spargo"Achilles"2-4 weeks
Daniel Turner"Hip"2-3 weeks

Every soft tissue and joint injury is suspect now.

How do they get someone into rehab? High hamstring pull that doesn't require surgery, just rest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1941118

Yeah and also how Lachie Whitfield received a 6 month ban for trying to avoid detection as well, doesn’t make much sense any more now the AFL has come out with this. Whole thing confusing af

Heard an interview today of wardlaw on SEN. he said he was driving a Mazda and admitted it was gifted to him by the sponsor. Is that sort of stuff allowed? Is it common for players to get free stuff like that and it not be in salary cap ?!? I would think all players would end up wanting to go to Collingwood or Carlton then because of backing of people/organisations with deep pockets?

That is reputation management 101.
the AFL does not want players drug tested and facing potential lengthy bans. That reflects poorly on the sport and the league.

The games druggies are essentially being kept out of the game until they are clean.

No wonder so few players are actually detected in the way that Joel Smith has been.
And then they wonder why there's a problem after not dealing with it for decades.

Does anyone know what WADA's jurisdiction is here? Do they just come wading in and deal with the AFL, or do they need to be invited by someone?

Heard an interview today of wardlaw on SEN. he said he was driving a Mazda and admitted it was gifted to him by the sponsor. Is that sort of stuff allowed? Is it common for players to get free stuff like that and it not be in salary cap ?!? I would think all players would end up wanting to go to Collingwood or Carlton then because of backing of people/organisations with deep pockets?

It is 100% allowed.
Dustin Martin has a fleet of Jeeps he never paid for.

Back in our day, our players were given Audi's on $1 per year leases

Then there's the farms that are "purchased" by geelong players for $20 and a pack of gum

And today’s revelation is that at least 100 players are having their drug use managed by the AFL and are not subject to the three strike policy. Minimum five players a club are users under the AFL’s tutelage. Call Gil in the middle of the night after pounding the snort like Tony Montana and the AFL will help you avoid detection through your whole time in the league.

Now I know why people on these boards insist casual narcotics consumption is just a natural part of footy and people need to accept it. It’s because it is an integral part of this football league. When the employer is facilitating and excusing drug use (not to mention peer and social pressure), then what chance does a draftee have in that environment? I guess we also now know why Kennett so insistently demanded the AFL reveal which players they knew were users. He seems to have known that there were some secret number of players who the AFL was helping cover up rules violations for and not informing the clubs. If my guess is accurate, then he won’t be staying quiet long on this.

Anyway, SIA is investigating these allegations and making no comment. We’ll see what that means, if anything.

The rabbit hole could be very deep on this. Once you’re facilitating one cover-up, why not another? Once you have convinced yourself that you’re doing the right thing evading WADA rules regarding narcotics, it becomes very easy to convince yourself that it’s OK to evade other rules on other substances. The goal here is to avoid in-competition violations, right? It would be negligent for the AFL not to test for every in-competition violation and fake up an injury to avoid it, right? They only have the player’s interests at heart, yeah?

And even beyond WADA. Perhaps the league should supply the drugs to make sure players aren’t getting crap off the streets? Or maybe the league should test a player’s supply to make sure it’s not contaminated with something even more dangerous. Maybe inform players which dealers are the ‘good ones’? After all, if the AFL is helping the players consume outside WADA detection, surely the AFL has a “duty of care” (the new favourite pet phrase that magically justifies anything) to make sure the players are consuming good product, right? Yes, the rabbit hole could be very deep indeed.

Newcombe has posted a few times about "our good friends at Nissan", I'm sure he's not paying the same as we would for that car.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back