No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Pies will get their act together and scrape into the 8. They will need to maintain the effort though as sides will come for them every week which is what makes it so hard as reigning premier - the week to week. Lions I reckon are cooked and will miss finals

I suspect Pies will get their act together and scrape into the 8. They will need to maintain the effort though as sides will come for them every week which is what makes it so hard as reigning premier - the week to week. Lions I reckon are cooked and will miss finals
Yep. Pies only play out of Melbourne 4 more times for rest of season (including gather round). They’ll be fine.

Just wonder how robbo and co will try and defend pendles for the hit on neale.
Bet they don't say "the action means more than force" this time
Within a week Robbo called out Sicily's 'kick' as something that needs to be stopped but Hind's elbow as 'something he didn't mean to do, which you could tell because he didn't actually hit the guy'.

When it comes to Sicily's leg rub it doesn't matter that the other guy didn't feel it.
This time who knows? He might refer to it as a 'love tap' or 'tummy tap' or he might say 'YOU CANT GO AROUND PUNCHING BLOKES LIKE YOURE AT THE PUB'.

He's quite unpredictable

No idea who picks it.
Must be a pretty short list of songs to select from
I don't think so. George Wardlaw kicked a goal against Fremantle and his choice of music is the Dance Of The Knights by Sergei Prokofiev.

Each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so. George Wardlaw kicked a goal against Fremantle and his choice of music is the Dance Of The Knights by Sergei Prokofiev.

Each to their own.
Brilliant choice. This would sound wonderful over the speakers. Brings me back to my youth when I was passionate about ballet (and rugby... pre footy supporter days). Had a great ballet teacher who used to play classical music from different ballets during the class, including this.

I remember when it was used during the one day cricket series in the 90s, and each player got to choose their own.

This would be mine. Tony Levin is a master. Just the first twenty bars or so.

The Crims! Got to see them a few times before they pulled the plug on live shows a few years back and it was 🤯

Did you see Adrian Belew has put together a band with Levin, Steve Vai and Danny Carey (!) to tour songs from the 80s albums? Fripp has given his seal of approval.

(Sorry for the thread derail!)

I remember when it was used during the one day cricket series in the 90s, and each player got to choose their own.

This would be mine. Tony Levin is a master. Just the first twenty bars or so.

Building on this, it’d be great to get some Liquid Tension Experiment happening. Levin on fire in those sessions.

Maybe a bit premature but Fages is staring down the barrel of squandering a premiership list 4 years in a row…

"Squandering" is definitely not the word - way too tough a take on Fages, for me.

Smart coach who rarely makes dumb decisions for his team - unlike numerous other coaches.
And the game-plan he has developed is very sound (and suits their personnel).

Personally, I haven't looked at Brisbane's list any time in the past 4 years and thought "that team should be winning the flag."
They have one great defender (Andrews) - one great midfielder (Neale) and one great small forward (Cameron).

If anything, I'd say Fages' coaching is better than the personnel at his disposal. Compare that to someone like Bevo at the Bulldogs. Close to the opposite. Now there's a guy who has been doing his best to squander something ...

Last edited:
Must admit though he was still doing some classy stuff.

100%. Happy for Pendles to be washed up and the Pies to slide quickly down the ladder, but ...

he had 3 or 4 handballs to teammates into space that were absolutely next level - and a couple of turns to create space that few can manage. (He did also mess up a few times, admittedly).

Incidentally, Tom Mitchell had a fantastic game with his own brilliant first possession handballs that got the Pies going ... but he played like absolute dogs##t the previous week against the Saints and looked genuinely cooked as an AFL footballer.

So a week is a long time and all that.

It reminds me of the days when people were desperate to write off champion Hawthorn players, and were invariably disappointed.

And it heats up... potentially. It depends on what SIA think about the information.

Tasmanian MP Andrew Wilkie has confirmed he will hand over the explosive documents which detail a secret AFL drug testing regime to Sport Integrity Australia.

The documents, which Mr Wilkie was blocked from tabling in federal parliament, include signed statements outlining disturbing allegations about off-the-book drug testing and other integrity issues.

“Sport Integrity Australia has contacted my office and I received the request for co-operation,” Mr Wilkie said on Friday.

“My office will fully cooperate with Sports Integrity Australia’s investigation.

“The whistleblowers are aware of the request by SIA and they support my assisting SIA to investigate anything it chooses to look at.”

It looks like we'll find out if it's a violation of the anti-doping code for a sporting body to secretly test athletes and then persuade both the athletes and their doctors to fake injuries for the purpose of avoiding a doping foul, or not.

EDIT: A question. The quote above says "off-the-book drug testing and other integrity issues." Does anyone know what the other integrity issues are about? I've only really been paying attention to the drug testing scheme claims.

Last edited:
A question. The quote above says "off-the-book drug testing and other integrity issues." Does anyone know what the other integrity issues are about? I've only really been paying attention to the drug testing scheme claims.
faking injuries to avoid official tests would be my guess. I've not heard anything else.

Lions have now confirmed there was an off season incident in Vegas with a group of 10 players. The club has said that it isn't impacting the playing group, but there's the reason the Lion's look cooked due to disharmony in the ranks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back