No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

LMFAO took the words right out of my mouth. I would love the AFL to prove me wrong here but i will not be holding my breath.

Its laughable that in the same week this minutes silence occurs you have Brad Scott using the ‘he’s a good bloke’ defence for Thomas. Good people don’t make threats of revenge pr0n and violence against women - simple as that. It’s not a good person making a msitake. I’m all for him making amends and changing his stripes but he can do that without the salary, privilege and platform that comes with being an AFL footballer. I bet if it was Brad Scott’s daughter being harassed by Thomas he wouldn’t be telling the world what a good person he is.

(Also, really with the autocorrection of the word ‘p*rn’ to pr0n - how bizarrely juvenile).

We have seen how quick the AFL can be to come out and shut down speculation on topics when it is fitting so no excuses.

If they are going to come out and make a public stance against domestic violence all weekend and show how much they care, they also need to come out and publicly announce they will not be registering a contract for Tarryn Thomas next year.

Anything short of that and people will rightfully look at as nothing more than pandering to a hot topic as an attempt to draw some positive PR.

For once just don't be cowards AFL and actually stand for something.
Their egos would rather play god and think that them turning him into a successful player reflects better upon them by showing they took the "care and teach" approach. Plus I would imagine someone at the Head office would be scared of potential lawsuits around any kind of self harm that a league wide exclusion could drive.

Just saw on the news that the Bombers are trying to get Tarrant Thomas to join them.

Brad Scott saying that 'we' as a football community cannot leave him behind.

All while clubs are going to stand united and opposing violence against women this weekend.

What an absolute disgrace of a football club and scumbag coach.
So both of the Scott brothers want Thomas........just saying........🤷‍♂️

We have seen how quick the AFL can be to come out and shut down speculation on topics when it is fitting so no excuses.

If they are going to come out and make a public stance against domestic violence all weekend and show how much they care, they also need to come out and publicly announce they will not be registering a contract for Tarryn Thomas next year.

Anything short of that and people will rightfully look at as nothing more than pandering to a hot topic as an attempt to draw some positive PR.

For once just don't be cowards AFL and actually stand for something.
Carey being "official AFL accredited media" or whatever BS that is already throws the AFL's credibility here out the window

Carey being "official AFL accredited media" or whatever BS that is already throws the AFL's credibility here out the window
And As bad as TT has been (though i dont know the exact details and it would be good to know the exact charges against him) we know Carey was a perpetrator of violence against women. That he was on the payroll of the AFL, Foxtel and Seven tells you all you need to know

Fairly sure there were none.

Pretty sure there was:

1714605695170.png

Not recording a conviction doesn't mean you were innocent by the way.

Noting again that he continued to harass the woman involved while undertaking education/rehabilitation programs offered to him by North Melbourne. So those who want to play the 'everyone deserves a second chance' card - he was on his second chance when he continued to threaten a woman.

Fairly sure there were none.
There were, I don't recall what, but some of the legal guys on the board were arguing about the diversion program he was placed into and how he was able to pay $1000 (that amount may be incorrect but it was token) into a domestic violence fund, complete his community service requirements etc and move along with his life and see the charges either dropped or not brought before the courts. It was something to that effect HedgeFund was one such person I remember discussing this. There were others.

Just saw on the news that the Bombers are trying to get Tarrant Thomas to join them.

Brad Scott saying that 'we' as a football community cannot leave him behind.

All while clubs are going to stand united and opposing violence against women this weekend.

What an absolute disgrace of a football club and scumbag coach.
I interpret it as him trying to clear the path and set the narrative to allow him to end up at his whinging brother's club. They've always been in cahoots.

I am confused.

first, Isn't Nat edwards a hawthorn supporter ? I thought she was ?
second, why the hell don't we do this at Hawthorn ?? I have SOO MANY questions!

Yes she is.

Why should that preclude her from getting paid to do some work for North Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were, I don't recall what, but some of the legal guys on the board were arguing about the diversion program he was placed into and how he was able to pay $1000 (that amount may be incorrect but it was token) into a domestic violence fund, complete his community service requirements etc and move along with his life and see the charges either dropped or not brought before the courts. It was something to that effect HedgeFund was one such person I remember discussing this. There were others.
The first incident / report which attracted police charges ended up with Diversion being granted in July 2023.

The more recent incidents which came to light in January 2024, which saw him suspended for 18 games / de-registered by the AFL haven’t actually been the subject of charges (yet) as far as I’m aware - and may well never be.

Its laughable that in the same week this minutes silence occurs you have Brad Scott using the ‘he’s a good bloke’ defence for Thomas. Good people don’t make threats of revenge pr0n and violence against women - simple as that. It’s not a good person making a mistake. I’m all for him making amends and changing his stripes but he can do that without the salary, privilege and platform that comes with being an AFL footballer. I bet if it was Brad Scott’s daughter being harassed by Thomas he wouldn’t be telling the world what a good person he is.
I agree. A "good bloke" would never do what this guy has done. He has problems that he needs to deal with long before anyone could label him a "good bloke".

Haven't watched any WCE games this year, but interesting to see Brocky dropped. Had high hopes for him (as a person despite the trade out) given he was back home and IMHO on the verge of a breakout with us at points in 2023.

Haven't watched any WCE games this year, but interesting to see Brocky dropped. Had high hopes for him (as a person despite the trade out) given he was back home and IMHO on the verge of a breakout with us at points in 2023.

Might go the way of Burton and not reach the ceiling many predicted for him when wearing our colours.

Its laughable that in the same week this minutes silence occurs you have Brad Scott using the ‘he’s a good bloke’ defence for Thomas. Good people don’t make threats of revenge pr0n and violence against women - simple as that. It’s not a good person making a msitake. I’m all for him making amends and changing his stripes but he can do that without the salary, privilege and platform that comes with being an AFL footballer. I bet if it was Brad Scott’s daughter being harassed by Thomas he wouldn’t be telling the world what a good person he is.

(Also, really with the autocorrection of the word ‘p*rn’ to pr0n - how bizarrely juvenile).
Not to mention the warm embrace Ben Cousins is receiving from everyone in footy despite being jailed for terrorising his former partner. This is an issue the AFL does not care about at all but wants to pretend to.

Not to mention the warm embrace Ben Cousins is receiving from everyone in footy despite being jailed for terrorising his former partner. This is an issue the AFL does not care about at all but wants to pretend to.

Went to jail for 20 breaches of a DVO - but hey he’s probably just a good bloke who made mistakes.

The NRL continued their hypocrisy on this front only a few weeks ago when they refused to acknowledge Michael Jennings 300th game but were still more than happy to register his contract. These bullshit empty gestures are just so absolutely weak - if the AFL proceeds to go down the NRL path and allow TT back into the game it will be deeply disappointing. It would also be a slap in the face to Norf who have done the right thing by giving him a chance at redemption and rightly sacking him when he continued to do the wrong thing. Clubs who do this shouldn’t be penalised by watching that same player waltz back into the league only months later. If the club has taken a stand then so should the bloody governing body.

Last edited:
Prefacing with... I absolutely love the Wizard and I'm excited to watch his long career at the Hawks ...

But I am just a tad nervous watching Curtin debut for the Crows tonight. He sounds like the prototype modern player and might end up being the 2nd best player in this draft 😬

Also, I'm watching on delay and it hasn't started yet, so if he happened to kick 5 goals in the first 2 minutes, or he had an absolute howler 😄, I wasn't aware when I posted the above.

P.S. Sarah Jones is a superstar.

Prefacing with... I absolutely love the Wizard and I'm excited to watch his long career at the Hawks ...

But I am just a tad nervous watching Curtin debut for the Crows tonight. He sounds like the prototype modern player and might end up being the 2nd best player in this draft 😬

I was super high on Curtin also and was hoping we were searching for a way back into the first round to get him. Will be good to watch him tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back