No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The Shinbeggars were a financial basket case before Peter Scanlan tipped in $10,000,000. They are a stand for nothing embarrassment who make the fixture unfairly inequitable. They are a financial drain on the AFL and since they are not in the developing states NSW or Queensland they shouldn't receive any financial support above what is received by other Victorian clubs. They have received excessive draft concessions and there should be no increase in their soft cap to offset the overpayment of Clarkson. It's time for the welfare club to put their hands up instead of out.
Do you know when he did that?

The low bullet kick is the most in vogue kick in footy, really plays to the speed of the game now.

Love seeing it used more and more but it can cause a turnover when you can’t pull it off right.

The very same!

I'm gonna have to be honest - I figured it was a gag but didn't know the context so I had to google it. I'm assuming it's James May related?
Yeah he had a cooking YouTube channel for a bit where he said that constantly, covid spawned a lot of strange things

Last edited:
Josh Jenkins is my new most hated commentator embarrassing listening to him on SEN and his hatred for Hawks
Yep.

I know I've mentioned this before, but in 2013 he wrote an entire preview of the grand final in the Advertiser without mentioning Hawthorn once. An amazing feat of censorship, even for a Murdoch newspaper.

Yep.

I know I've mentioned this before, but in 2013 he wrote an entire preview of the grand final in the Advertiser without mentioning Hawthorn once. An amazing feat of censorship, even for a Murdoch newspaper.
Are we sure Gerard Healy wasn’t his ghost writer?

Yep.

He had us finishing 17th this year too, below North.

Josh Jenkins epitomizes the Dumb Footballer stereotype. Has never said anything remotely intelligent.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know when he did that?
I read that Peter Scanlon’s philanthropy started in 2008. Norf’s debt peaked at $9M in 2012 and they became debt free in November 2021. In the 2021 financial year they recorded a profit of $453,189 which was their 10th consecutive profit. However to put the Centrelink Shinbeggars’ profits into perspective in 2023 they received an AFL dividend of $18-19M compared to our $10.5-11M. It’s certainly far from a level financial playing field and then in addition there are the multiple draft concessions.

I read that Peter Scanlon’s philanthropy started in 2008. Norf’s debt peaked at $9M in 2012 and they became debt free in November 2021. In the 2021 financial year they recorded a profit of $453,189 which was their 10th consecutive profit. However to put the Centrelink Shinbeggars’ profits into perspective in 2023 they received an AFL dividend of $18-19M compared to our $10.5-11M. It’s certainly far from a level financial playing field and then in addition there are the multiple draft concessions.
Generally their financial statements look suspiciously like a ‘profit challenged’ company they is getting cash from a benefactor to look profitable when it really isnt.

Generally their financial statements look suspiciously like a ‘profit challenged’ company they is getting cash from a benefactor to look profitable when it really isnt.

They have retained earnings of just over $3 million. Hawthorn has retained earnings of over $90 million. If anything shows the long term financial viability of the clubs, it is that. North manage just enough money to break even. Hawthorn has managed to save enough profit over the years to afford a new training centre (and that $90 million does not include the Dingly fund, I think. Someone may correct me.).

Also, the AFL dividend is not a handout. It’s the club’s share of the AFL revenue, largely TV and merch. The club’s earn that money, at the base level the four financially independent clubs are given. North, GCS, etc, get nearly double Hawthorn is given ever year because they would not be viable without it. But make no mistake, the AFL would not have the money to “hand out” in the first place if not for the product the clubs make every year.

If someone was bold enough to make cold emotionless decisions, there's no way that St Kilda, North or the Dogs would remain in the AFL. I'd honestly have Melbourne teetering on the edge as well.

If someone was bold enough to make cold emotionless decisions, there's no way that St Kilda, North or the Dogs would remain in the AFL. I'd honestly have Melbourne teetering on the edge as well.

Which is why we can all be thankful that campaigners like Ross Oakley and John Ribot aren't involved in sports administration in the modern age. Tradition means something and I am sick to death of hearing people just thinking you can cull clubs willy nilly and retain the fibre of the game. There is no guarantee we are still as financially successful in the coming decades - anything can happen. There might come a time when we are grateful to receive greater distributions from the governing body for a sustained period - I know I would be pissed off if opposition supporters just talking about how culling our club would just be in the league's best interests. There are people with nothing much in their lives except their footy club, who they stick by no matter what - how about we stop thinking how awesome it would be if we eradicated it?

Disclaimer: This rant does not apply to the Essenscum FC which is not a football club but a festering boil that any self-respecting person would never support so whose feelings do not remotely matter.

Last edited:
Dogs and bombers have really made the west their own and good little rivalry at souless dome always sells out, also great for everyone to get to on that side.

St kilda is entrenched in bayside, and if they ever can win a grand final and shake their curse it will be pretty wild.

North are the ones that have no real place, North Melbourne has been absorbed by the city and they just kinda fit their. Every other club I see growing but success breeds young fans and it will be a 10 year hole for north that I don’t see them replacing without a move or merger.

And I’m a big believer in more clubs and more games, the product is only getting better and faster, but north have put themselves as the real outlier now.

Which is why we can all be thankful that campaigners like Ross Oakley and John Ribot are involved in sports administration in the modern age. Tradition means something and I am sick to death of hearing people just thinking you can cull clubs willy nilly and retain the fibre of the game. There is no guarantee we are still as financially successful in the coming decades - anything can happen. There might come a time when we are grateful to receive greater distributions from the governing body for a sustained period - I know I would be pissed off if opposition supporters just talking about how culling our club would just be in the league's best interests. There are people with nothing much in their lives except their footy club, who they stick by no matter what - how about we stop thinking how awesome it would be if we eradicated it?

Disclaimer: This rant does not apply to the Essenscum FC which is not a football club but a festering boil that any self-respecting person would never support so whose feelings do not remotely matter.
I get that, it's probably a good case for the relegation system used in other sports.

That said, the emotional case is one thing but I know St Kilda supporters whose lives would be genuinely improved for the better if they were dissolved!

Dogs and bombers have really made the west their own and good little rivalry at souless dome always sells out, also great for everyone to get to on that side.

St kilda is entrenched in bayside, and if they ever can win a grand final and shake their curse it will be pretty wild.

North are the ones that have no real place, North Melbourne has been absorbed by the city and they just kinda fit their. Every other club I see growing but success breeds young fans and it will be a 10 year hole for north that I don’t see them replacing without a move or merger.

And I’m a big believer in more clubs and more games, the product is only getting better and faster, but north have put themselves as the real outlier now.

Despite being a basket case they had a record membership figure last year - and it's increased by about 25% over the last 5 years so it's not as if they're not growing.

As I posted yesterday or the day before - teams who bottom out badly take time to re-establish themselves. Recent examples like Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane all took the better part of a decade - Norf are only in their 5th year of it.

If you had gone on to the main board back in 2013 in the height of Neeld's demolition of the lowly Demons and said they'd win a flag within 8 years you'd have been absolutely laughed off of the board. Clubs can turn it around quickly when it starts to come together. Whether Norf's current predicament allows for it remains to be seen - and I am concerned if Clarkson is up for being adaptable as it remained to be seen towards the end of his tenure here. However it is not exactly a rare situation for a club to be bad for 5-7+ years but then come back into contention.

I get that, it's probably a good case for the relegation system used in other sports.

That said, the emotional case is one thing but I know St Kilda supporters whose lives would be genuinely improved for the better if they were dissolved!

Oh my mental health would be vastly improved if the Raiders did not exist - but that doesn't mean you get to take them away from me!

Despite being a basket case they had a record membership figure last year - and it's increased by about 25% over the last 5 years so it's not as if they're not growing.

As I posted yesterday or the day before - teams who bottom out badly take time to re-establish themselves. Recent examples like Melbourne, Carlton and Brisbane all took the better part of a decade - Norf are only in their 5th year of it.

If you had gone on to the main board back in 2013 in the height of Neeld's demolition of the lowly Demons and said they'd win a flag within 8 years you'd have been absolutely laughed off of the board. Clubs can turn it around quickly when it starts to come together. Whether Norf's current predicament allows for it remains to be seen - and I am concerned if Clarkson is up for being adaptable as it remained to be seen towards the end of his tenure here. However it is not exactly a rare situation for a club to be bad for 5-7+ years but then come back into contention.
25% sounds great but I suspect some creative accounting going on, that all clubs do.

If you go to the north site, they have 16 direct membership packs for sale and 24 including a bunch of smaller ones. Would have to review a P&L but has that lead to an increase in 25% membership revenue…

So is it increasing or have they managed to diversify their membership offering to increase head count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back