List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty enough of this 19-year crap and yes it is Crap, The last 3 years have seen more change's at the Crows since formation, Do you think they did these changes just to finish middle of the road,
They are establishing a culture not only on the field but off the field, a culture that demands success in all areas.
A culture that could not afford to use 2x 1st round picks for one player not just because it was overs, but it would have caused more damage to the new direction than good. They are not just looking at 1 grand final, they are looking at multiple finals they are looking at a team capable of playing top level football for years, not just for 1-2 years like you and a few want.

Do you know what shits me the most is 4 years ago a group of influential supporters got together and demanded changes at the club they along with newly apionted Board members pushed for changes, Were you and any other supporter who complained about 19 years of nothing among this group did you even know about this group? While I am not good at expressing my views in the written language I hope you will sit back and fully understand the changes and direction the club has taken. to not only get a winning team but get a team capable of winning the Flag.

Top 10 picks are the ones that make it for you, Bulldogs had 4 top 10 picks in their premieship team, either drafted or traded in. hawthorn had a number in theirs. Its quality that gets you the flag, how many do we have in our team?

Top 10 picks are the ones that make it for you, Bulldogs had 4 top 10 picks in their premieship team, either drafted or traded in. hawthorn had a number in theirs. Its quality that gets you the flag, how many do we have in our team?
I'd rather Sloane than most top ten picks. Numbers aren't important.

Seems to me that this year is going to go one of two ways:
1. We have a good year with an improved midfield, but miss the GF/flag.
-> Should have got Gibbs.
2. We have a mediocre year with no improvement in the midfield.

:p
It's an interesting one. I think we would all feel a lot more comfortable with out midfield if we had Gibbs to add to Sloane, Crouch brothers, Douglas and the youngsters developing in midfield roles. There is no doubt that the midfield all of a sudden would not be as glaring weakness as it currently is.

Having said that, as much as I would have liked us to get Gibbs, I would not have asked the asking price that Carlton has in mind. I do believe that we have some good young players coming through the midfield that can really help us. The unknown is how quickly do they develop. If they come along slowly, we might be in a bit of strife. However, if one or two of them come on quickly and have a great season, the need is not as urgent as it has been.

Don't get me wrong, you can never have too many quality midfielders but I am not sure I would have been comfortable with the asking price. At the same time, I think our time to strike is this season and maybe next while GWS squad is reaching their peak so having that genuinely good reliable midfielder would have been very handy.

Personally, I always held high hopes for Cameron, Knight and Milera to be the big improvers this season in terms of their midfield work. I also expected Matt Crouch and Rory Atkins to improve even more based on last season that was a bit of a break out year for both of them.

I always said that part of our problems last season is that we had a way too many players in the midfield that were too similar. M. Crouch, Thompson and Lyons. All 3 very similar types and similarly paced players. Similar height, similar style of play around the ball. Not playing Thompson and shipping out Lyons was IMHO the right thing to do. It allows a better mix of players rotating through the midfield and we saw that in the pre-season and against GWS. One real game I know but signs are encouraging. If we managed to add Gibbs to that would have been the icing on the cake.

One thing that I am worried about is Brad Crouch's ability to stay healthy. One issue is that Brad's body breaks down but another one is that he is one of those guys that puts on weight really easily. So he injured his hamstring in the pre-season which means he can't do any of the aerobic exercises to keep fit and keep the weight under control. When he comes back from hamstring, he will be overweight and will need some time to get fit and lose the weight. It's unfortunate because he is one of the players on our team with genuine A grade talent in the midfield. I just want to see the day where he can strong two uninterrupted pre-seasons and seasons together. Not only is his body breaking down but he is missing out on some serious development while he is sitting out on the sidelines.

I keep going back to the story that I was told by one of the players during the 2014/1 pre-seasons (the only pre-season under Walshy) where Brad did not miss a session for the entire pre-season and waas absolutely killing it on the track. He was outplaying Dangerfield and the player himself said that he kept finding himself watching Brad in awe wondering how the heck did he do that. I just hope he is not one of those talents that could have been a superstar but their body kept breaking down.

I'd rather Sloane than most top ten picks. Numbers aren't important.

No but percentages say those top ten picks are pretty good, Bonts, Boyd and Stringer were three of them. Think I would take Bonts over sloane as much as I like Sloane, Bonts is getting to that elite status and no one was complaining about Boyd in the GF when he stood up

No but percentages say those top ten picks are pretty good, Bonts, Boyd and Stringer were three of them. Think I would take Bonts over sloane as much as I like Sloane, Bonts is getting to that elite status and no one was complaining about Boyd in the GF when he stood up
You must have been delighted when we traded in Tambling.

Just typical they identified the wrong talent, he was a failure at richmond why was that going to change?
So it doesn't matter what number they were drafted at, but that they're talented?

Cool. I agree.

For every 1 Tambling i could name you 100 players drafted 40+ that didnt make it.
Ludicrous comment
Not in the context of what came before. I was arguing that having good players is more important than draft numbers. Marty was saying they had to have been drafted in the top ten to win a flag.

Hawks bottom out to get top 10 picks, Priority picks and Father-son and the club nearly collapse and merged. Bulldogs went close to bottoming out to get there's along with Father-sons, Would you be happy for the Crows to finish bottom 4, for a couple of years. More so in today climate were Academies will play a big part in the future of some clubs, Also there are a few more teams with just as many top 10 picks that are going nowhere fast. Some even traded their first-round picks for the privilege of finishing outside the 8.

But that has no barring on wasting 2 x 1st for one player. And in the process destroying a building culture at the Club,
Then you have the likely hood of that 2nd x 1st round pick being a KPP (2017 Draft is full of KPP) to go along several father-son picks available over the next few years will set up the Crows for a few years. Or even used to trade in an elite player.

Selling the farm for short term success rarely works in the AFL, Long term build ups do.

On the weekend we played against an entire team of top 10 picks and the 2 best players on the field were Rory Laird (Rookie) and Rory Atkins (pick 81)

Last edited:
Hawks bottom out to get top 10 picks, Priority picks and Father-son and the club nearly collapse and merged. Bulldogs went close to bottoming out to get there's along with Father-sons, Would you be happy for the Crows to finish bottom 4, for a couple of years. More so in today climate were Academies will play a big part in the future of some clubs, Also there are a few more teams with just as many top 10 picks that are going nowhere fast. Some even traded their first-round picks for the privilege of finishing outside the 8.

But that has no barring on wasting 2 x 1st for one player. And in the process destroying a building culture at the Club,
Then you have the likely hood of that 2nd x 1st round pick being a KPP (2017 Draft is full of KPP) to go along several father-son picks available over the next few years will set up the Crows for a few years. Or even used to trade in an elite player.

Selling the farm for short term success rarely works in the AFL, Long term build ups do.

I would argue with anyone that our track record of drafting from round 3 onwards has been far better than round 1 and 2.

I would argue with anyone that our track record of drafting from round 3 onwards has been far better than round 1 and 2.
Used to be the case. Not so much in the last 10 years.

We've had a very high strike rate with our 1st & 2nd round draft picks over the last decade. Some of them have shown all the loyalty of an alley cat on heat, but they are/were damn good players. There's nothing wrong with Dangerfield, Davis, Talia, Smith, Crouch, Lever, Milera, Tippett, Otten, M Crouch, and Gunston. The only duds in that time were Jacky, McKernan and Kerridge. The jury is still out on Wigg, Doedee, and the 2016 draftees.

We've definitely had some good pickups in R3 and beyond - Sloane, Atkins, Knight, Laird, Hartigan, Cameron. However, for every 1 of them, there have been at least 5 more who didn't make the grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marty god sake.
What, so now you want us to finish last just to get the number one pick...
Jesus, seriously. Then you end up like Carlton and no one wants to go there.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here but Kane Cornes' roast of Carlton on the Sunday footy show was that they should have taken the trade and they could have picked up Powell-Pepper. He basically said Gibbs will never play in a premiership with Carlton, but PP could. I wonder if they will trade him next year, and what we will offer.
I can understand wanting experience to help the youth coming through, but surely after this year they would let him go for a first rounder, it just might be pick 17 or 18 (before father son, academy etc).
Maybe we would give up two picks if we get Edwards for our first pick regardless of what pick that is (need points or something).

There is no way in hell we were ever trading next year's first rounder.

Club is very high on Edwards to the point that they are having him train with the team at every opportunity possible, even during school holidays. In one of the training sessions at the club recently he absolutely pulled off an ankle breaker on one of the star Crows who has been copping it from his team mates ever since.

The club thinks he will be a certain first round talent in this year's draft, possible top 10.

Not sure whether I like the approach of having him train as often as possible with the club. On one side, I like it as it makes the kid more comfortable, gets his more up to speed with what the team is doing and exposes him to the AFL standards. On the other hand, by having him train with the club h

Not relevant.

Trading our pick doesn't impact our ability to secure Edwards

Still playing,
Picked in 1st or 2nd round - Douglas(16), Otten(22), Talia(13), Smith(14), M Crouch(22), Lever(14), Wigg(35), Milera(11), Doedee(17)
Traded in using 1st or 2nd round picks - Thommo(12), Jacobs(34 & 67), Lynch(37), JJ(31), Brown & B Crouch(10), Hampton(38), Seedsman(32), Menzel(28+)
Traded out 1st and 2nd round players - Danger(10), Davis(10), Gunston(29), Tippett(32), Vince(34), Kerridge(27), McKernan(28)

25 players, most are best 22, I would say our track record is pretty good. considering we lost 4 picks
Direct picks 16 still on AFL lists

Seems to me that this year is going to go one of two ways:
1. We have a good year with an improved midfield, but miss the GF/flag.
2. We have a mediocre year with no improvement in the midfield.

:p
Or we win the flag
-> Didnt need Gibbs ;)

Marty god sake.
What, so now you want us to finish last just to get the number one pick...
Jesus, seriously. Then you end up like Carlton and no one wants to go there.

Marty wants us to finish there but while selecting Thommo and Mackay because we can have confidence in what they bring. Strange cat is he.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back