News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

It comes down to how much the capacity can be increased by extending the Stadium over the street

They could have done like the MCG has done and had level two overhang the road, even if it was only the stadium side of the road, take out the corporate with the rest of the stadium having that and the capacity could be increased significantly.

But lets get stage 5 finalised before moving onto stage 1 again.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/worl...alone-tournaments-mcg-finals-venue/2018-01-30

With this being announced I would expect a press conference some time in the next few days announcing funding for Stage 5 and its completion prior to these games to be hosted at the stadium in late 2020.
Beat me to it by a minute...

But yeah you’d think that now funding should be easier to bring in, and that stage 5 will be completed by early to mid 2020, ahead of the AFL season and T20 World Cup which will follow.

It also means that the cricket facilities mooted a while ago will probably get the go ahead, and possibly at a better standard than if it were only for one big bash game a year.

Going to be interesting to watch over the coming weeks you’d suggest.

How would this extravagance pay for itself? The ground is never full. Its a modern cliche ..but it what it is. They may as well build a brand new stadium than spend the money it would cost for such a low benefit.

Over a time period building funds would have to plan to eventually get it done, you have to remember modern stadiums turn over their facilities quiet regularly now, if we don't continue to wok on improving the stadium the AFL will be looking for any opportunity they can get to move us to Etihad more.

27,338 last night, when you take into consideration the weather and the last night of school holidays I actually give the attendance a massive tick and think we can definatly add another 3 or 4k doing a redo of the hickey stand and really have 9 games minimum locked in long term at Kardinia.

Over a time period building funds would have to plan to eventually get it done, you have to remember modern stadiums turn over their facilities quiet regularly now, if we don't continue to wok on improving the stadium the AFL will be looking for any opportunity they can get to move us to Etihad more.

27,338 last night, when you take into consideration the weather and the last night of school holidays I actually give the attendance a massive tick and think we can definatly add another 3 or 4k doing a redo of the hickey stand and really have 9 games minimum locked in long term at Kardinia.

The city end will be done before that... which will put us at a capacity of about 40... and probably an average attendance of about 30/32. How much would this rejig of the Hickey cost 200M ..300M? The ground as it will be post s5 should be good for the next 10/15 years plus.. after that the club may as well start buying land elsewhere for a new from scratch stadium as by the the MCG playing surface will probably be the default oval size. Perhaps work to go back to Eastern park.. or perhaps the trotting track , close to the train or stay at KP and buy out StMarys. (of course if the did that , one would hope they wouldn't build it too close to Latrobe )

The city end will be done before that... which will put us at a capacity of about 40... and probably an average attendance of about 30/32. How much would this rejig of the Hickey cost 200M ..300M? The ground as it will be post s5 should be good for the next 10/15 years plus.. after that the club may as well start buying land elsewhere for a new from scratch stadium as by the the MCG playing surface will probably be the default oval size. Perhaps work to go back to Eastern park.. or perhaps the trotting track , close to the train or stay at KP and buy out StMarys. (of course if the did that , one would hope they wouldn't build it too close to Latrobe )
Trotting track would work. Freeway & Trainline. Same with Avalon.
Eastern Gardens would be a massive pain in the arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trotting track would work. Freeway & Trainline. Same with Avalon.
Eastern Gardens would be a massive pain in the arse.
They would all have down side.The Eastern Gardens would be like returning home.. even though the Corio Oval is no more. Trotting track would create awful traffic..unless we could use some sort of public transport.

The State Government's funding deal with the AFL sees 8 games "minimum" at Kardinia Park until 2048. More in the article linked.

As discussed at length through this thread, there will be no stage 6. Stage 5 will be completed prior to the ICC World T20 Cup. Stage 5 will include refurbishment of the current Hickey Stand. To what level, the devil will be in the detail but from what I hear it's refurbishment of the umpires & players rooms as well as all of Level 2.

I'd say once the agreement with the Government expires in 2048 then we'll see either another complete refurbishment or new stadium build in the southern growth corridor (Armstrong Creek).

In my opinion we are very lucky to have to facility that we have. Sit back and enjoy it for what it is because we'll have it for a while.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/fb8e16b19748f163a1fb4c563bd72139

The State Government's funding deal with the AFL sees 8 games "minimum" at Kardinia Park until 2048. More in the article linked.

As discussed at length through this thread, there will be no stage 6. Stage 5 will be completed prior to the ICC World T20 Cup. Stage 5 will include refurbishment of the current Hickey Stand. To what level, the devil will be in the detail but from what I hear it's refurbishment of the umpires & players rooms as well as all of Level 2.

I'd say once the agreement with the Government expires in 2048 then we'll see either another complete refurbishment or new stadium build in the southern growth corridor (Armstrong Creek).

In my opinion we are very lucky to have to facility that we have. Sit back and enjoy it for what it is because we'll have it for a while.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/fb8e16b19748f163a1fb4c563bd72139

2048 ... yeah well it will not worry me by then. Personally if money was not a consideration ... a new stadium somehwere will be done ..by then ( or maybe earlier) the MCG size ground will be the default afl size ground.

Any news on funding? Surely if it was to begin at the end of this year as planned, something would have been announced by now.

Any news on funding? Surely if it was to begin at the end of this year as planned, something would have been announced by now.

We have a state election on Saturday 24 November this year and we have 2 potential federal elections within the next 16 months (between 4 August 2018 & 18 May 2019 for half the Senators from the States, and an election on or before 2 November for the House of Reps & Senators from the Territories - or they can run the election simultaneously).

As funding will likely be sought from both State & Federal governments, it could come down to election promises and campaigning as to what funding is agreed on - and it's unlikely any announcement would be made until it is certain that the agreed funding will actually be delivered

With the election being November, I'd expect funding announced as an election promise, funding secured in the new year, and work to start September 1, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back